Two weeks out of New Orleans - recommendations?

Old September 26th, 2003, 03:52 PM
Steve

Default Two weeks out of New Orleans - recommendations?

Flying into New Orleans in November, renting a car for two weeks to
tour the deep south. Any itinerary recommendations?

(I use Rick Steves' guidebooks in Europe, sure is a lot harder to put
it together yourself!)

Old September 26th, 2003, 04:11 PM
Juliana L Holm

Steve wrote:
Flying into New Orleans in November, renting a car for two weeks to
tour the deep south. Any itinerary recommendations?

(I use Rick Steves' guidebooks in Europe, sure is a lot harder to put
it together yourself!)

IN the US Moon Handbooks are very good.

I recommend, if it is not too far for you, that you get to Savannah, GA. It
IS a bit of a drive, but very interesting, lots of history, very southern.

--
Julie
**********
Old September 26th, 2003, 10:21 PM
Douglas W. Hoyt

Flying into New Orleans in November, renting a car for two weeks to
tour the deep south. Any itinerary recommendations?

A weekend in Cajun country (3 hours west of New Orleans; the center of
which is Lafayette; the more character-ful places being further afield from
Lafayette, like Eunice) is a very unique experience in the American cultural
landscape. The Saturday morning cajun stomp at Fred's in Mamou, the hot
boudin at Mel's Quick Stop on the road to Eunice, the Saturday cajun jam at
the Savoy Music Center in Eunice--you can put together a really
sweet-sounding and FLAVORFUL tour in cajun country that you will never
forget. I do think weekends are best, though. I think searching online
for cajun country links might be your best bet, but there is an incredibly
comprehensive guide to the area in the bookstores, though I forget the name.

Old September 26th, 2003, 10:44 PM
JamesStep

Flying into New Orleans in November, renting a
car for two weeks to tour the deep south.

Have you been to New Orleans previously? If not, but sure
to spend at least a day or two seeing the city. Also there
are some plantations near New Orleans that you can tour,
such as Oak Alley.

James
Remove "NOSPAM" from my address when sending me e-mail.
-
Old September 27th, 2003, 11:17 PM
JonRhogan

Where abouts are you staying?

Jon
Old September 28th, 2003, 12:53 AM
Steve

(JonRhogan) wrote:
Where abouts are you staying?

Dunno, gonna wing it...

Old September 28th, 2003, 05:45 PM
Jon

Try http://www.neworleansonline.com/ What do you enjoy doing the
touristy thing or the local thing?

Old September 28th, 2003, 10:54 PM
Henry B.

On top of the recommendation to spend a couple of days (3 works better-2 in
the French Quarter in cluding the Cabildo on Jackson Square and the
cemeteries and of course beignets and cafe au lait across from the Square,1
University/Uptown/Garden District) ,1 day to see Oak Alley and "San
Francisco" plantations and then 3 days in Cajun Country
(Lafayette,Opelousas,New Iberia) and then on to Natchez,MS;be sure to visit
Longwood.
I've lived all over the world and now am in N.O. and consider it America's
most interesting city

Old September 29th, 2003, 03:20 PM
Steve

(Jon) wrote: