No kicks on Route 66 heading north east from Texas to Chicago?

Old December 23rd, 2007, 12:18 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
[email protected]

Default No kicks on Route 66 heading north east from Texas to Chicago?

A friend of mine wants to do a road trip on Route 66 from Dallas to
Chicago. I'm thinking he's thinking the Route 66 of legend is just as
interesting along that stretch vs. going West through New Mexico,
Arizona, and California.

A colleague at work from New Mexico says Route 66 gets more
interesting the further West you go. I guess everyone has a different
idea of "interesting," but deserts, mountains, ghost towns, old mines,
etc, sound interesting to me.

1) Isn't the Route 66 people get nostalgic for, and where the most
interesting bits are, the stretch between New Mexico and California?

2) How advisable is it weather-wise to road trip from Dallas to
Chicago along Route 66 in January? Seems like he could run into some
nasty weather, especially since he may go even further north past
Chicago.

3) What is the stretch of Route 66 between Dallas and Chicago like? Is
it interesting and worth the trip in and of itself? Is it crowded and
dull? Empty and dull?

4) Is the Western part of Route 66 "too touristy?" (an objection my
friend made to doing that particular stretch) Or does it simply have
some kitsch every now and then stretched out along hundreds of miles?

5) What are some highlights of the portion of Route 66 going north
east to Chicago from Dallas?

I guess another objective of my friend is that he wants to ultimately,
some day, have driven through all 50 states--and he'd prob. pass
through a good number of states on his trip. He's also from a small
mountain town in North Carolina and wants to see more of small-town
America elsewhere in the country. He's also a photographer as part of
his day job, so my guess is that he's hoping to get some great shots
out there on the road.

Us both being from North Carolina, I personally think he'd have a
better time flying out to Dallas (purpose is to visit a friend there
first for New Years), renting a car, heading West of Route 66, then
flying back to NC. Seems like it would be a whole lot more
interesting. I wanted to go on the road trip, but couldn't justify
taking the vacation time to do the portion north / east of Dallas
without ever having done the Southwest portion.

Probably any day on a road trip anywhere is better than a day spent at
work. But as far as Road Trip A vs. Road Trip B on Route 66, which is
better and why?
Old December 23rd, 2007, 08:47 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Don Kirkman

It seems to me I heard somewhere that wrote in article
:

A friend of mine wants to do a road trip on Route 66 from Dallas to
Chicago. I'm thinking he's thinking the Route 66 of legend is just as
interesting along that stretch vs. going West through New Mexico,
Arizona, and California.

A colleague at work from New Mexico says Route 66 gets more
interesting the further West you go. I guess everyone has a different
idea of "interesting," but deserts, mountains, ghost towns, old mines,
etc, sound interesting to me.

1) Isn't the Route 66 people get nostalgic for, and where the most
interesting bits are, the stretch between New Mexico and California?

We did the trip on the real Rte. 66 in January or February, 1959, and
had good weather (= good luck) until we were nearing Chicago and entered
Chicago in a snow storm.

2) How advisable is it weather-wise to road trip from Dallas to
Chicago along Route 66 in January? Seems like he could run into some
nasty weather, especially since he may go even further north past
Chicago.

Ya takes yer chances.

3) What is the stretch of Route 66 between Dallas and Chicago like? Is
it interesting and worth the trip in and of itself? Is it crowded and
dull? Empty and dull?

Everything east of Barstow was new to us. We enjoyed the western
section more, but the Ozarks and the farm country in the midlands were
also enjoyable. Of course I suppose by now it's solid suburbia all the
way. :-)

Probably any day on a road trip anywhere is better than a day spent at
work. But as far as Road Trip A vs. Road Trip B on Route 66, which is
better and why?

I hope your friend realizes there really is no Rte. 66 anymore, just
bits and pieces kept alive like museum pieces; most is buried under the
Interstates or abandoned.
--
Don Kirkman
Old December 23rd, 2007, 09:46 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
[email protected]

there really is no Rte. 66 anymore, just bits and pieces
kept alive like museum pieces

Yes, it was officially decommissioned (removed from the national
highway system) in 1985 and much of it has been abandoned or altered.

There are some good web sites which discuss the history of Route 66
and talk about driving it today. A good starting point is the
Wikipedia article (below), and then scroll down to the bottom of their
page for links to other sites.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Route_66
Old December 24th, 2007, 02:57 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Hatunen

On Sun, 23 Dec 2007 03:18:52 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

A friend of mine wants to do a road trip on Route 66 from Dallas to
Chicago. I'm thinking he's thinking the Route 66 of legend is just as
interesting along that stretch vs. going West through New Mexico,
Arizona, and California.

Since US-66 never went to Dallas, where is he planning to
connecto with the old route?

A colleague at work from New Mexico says Route 66 gets more
interesting the further West you go. I guess everyone has a different
idea of "interesting," but deserts, mountains, ghost towns, old mines,
etc, sound interesting to me.

1) Isn't the Route 66 people get nostalgic for, and where the most
interesting bits are, the stretch between New Mexico and California?

Depends on what you're looking for. Some of the old towns in
Missouri can be iteresting, too.

2) How advisable is it weather-wise to road trip from Dallas to
Chicago along Route 66 in January? Seems like he could run into some
nasty weather, especially since he may go even further north past
Chicago.

He could easily run into some very nasty weather, not unlike the
weather the area has recently had.

3) What is the stretch of Route 66 between Dallas and Chicago like? Is
it interesting and worth the trip in and of itself? Is it crowded and
dull? Empty and dull?

Again, there is not, and enver was, a Route 66 to Dallas. He
would have to drive north several hundred miles to connect with
Rte 66 someplace in Oklahoma.

4) Is the Western part of Route 66 "too touristy?" (an objection my
friend made to doing that particular stretch) Or does it simply have
some kitsch every now and then stretched out along hundreds of miles?

The kitsch always was spread out over hundreds of miles.

5) What are some highlights of the portion of Route 66 going north
east to Chicago from Dallas?

The St Louis Arch. The Cahokia mound.

I guess another objective of my friend is that he wants to ultimately,
some day, have driven through all 50 states--and he'd prob. pass
through a good number of states on his trip.

Hawai'i will be a tough one.

Old December 24th, 2007, 07:29 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
george

On Dec 23, 12:18*pm, wrote:
[...]

When we used to travel between Ft. Worth and northern Illinois, we
sometimes would take I-35 to I-80, and other times basically the
modern interstate that follows old Route 66 (I-35 to I-44 and I-55,
the latter two basically Route 66), It's also possible to take the
interstate through Arkansas and then another north to Chicago (I-30,
I-40, I-55 and I-57, the latter not necessary but shorter) which we
never did. By selecting a more eastern or western route it may be
possible to plan to avoid bad weather. Although we could drive this
in a day, we usually took two days and used the opportunity to stop to
see things along the way. The previous mention of Cahokia Mounds is
excellent. Although few people have heard of it, it was the second
largest city in North America after Mexico City before the coming of
Columbus, and is just across the river from St. Louis in Illinois.

George