Arriving in Brazil by cruise ship

Old February 20th, 2004, 02:10 AM
LJ

Default Arriving in Brazil by cruise ship

I'll be on the Royal Princess from FLL to Manaus leaving March 25. Since we
don't arrive in Brazil by air, does anyone know where the Brazilians are
likely to do the photo/fingerprint process? The first stop in Brazil is
Santarem. From Manaus, everyone goes home. Princess told me that the
fingerprint stuff would be done at the Manaus airport on leaving... but that
doesn't make a lot of sense. Anyone know what to expect? Thanks.

Joan

Old February 20th, 2004, 06:00 AM
LJ

Harry wrote:

The other interesting question will
be whether Brazil will require cruise ship pax to have a Brazilian
visa to enter the country. Said
visa costs over $100 for a tourist
arriving in Brazil by air. When I
procured one last fall thru a visa
agency, it cost me $159.50 including the basic visa, processing fees, and
return
shipping of my passport.
Paraguay was only $117.

******************

Absolutely Brazil requires a visa of cruise ship pax and everyone from the
US. That hasn't changed. And although the country doesn't REQUIRE a yellow
fever shot if you come from the US (I flew into Sao Paulo and went all over
the country without one last June), the cruise lines do, maybe because they
don't know where everyone has come from. Brazil requires a visa of US
citizens because we require one of them and charges $100 for it because we
charge them $100. The same turnabout is happening with the pictures and
fingerprints. It's annoying, but seems only fair.

Cruises that stop in Belem have fingerprinting done there, but the RP
doesn't, so I'm still curious how they'll handle it.

Joan

Old February 22nd, 2004, 10:44 AM
nan

..We were on the last sailing to Amazon of the Olympic Voyager ending
12/17.Visas are required--check for prices as there is a large
variance $50-$200 ea).Passports are collected when you embark and kept
til Brazil customs clears ship--they come on board to clear customs.On
our particulare cruise it took much longer than usual--4 hours or more
parked(they had a nice time dining drinking etc--while their employees
went though each passport)..Due to delay(captain not happy) we missed
a short port stop at a native village(we stopped but were not allowed
off-to deliver much needed-used clothing food cash etc--that crew and
passengers were donating)..After they got off we collected our
passports.
We have been through Brazil customs before and had to pay a small
bribe--they tend to be difficult

Old February 22nd, 2004, 08:53 PM
LJ

Nan--

I was on the Dec. 17 sailing of the Olympia voyager which you probably know
got caught in the bankruptcy and spent the two weeks of the scheduled cruise
in St. Thomas. I'm trying again to get to Manaus, this time on the Royal
Princess leaving March 24. This is a one-way cruise (ship goes on to Rome)
and disembarks everyone in Manaus starting Tuesday morning. Ship arrives
the previous day. I want to get off the ship Monday night in Manaus and go
spend a couple of days at a river lodge. So I've been trying to find out
how the Brazilians are handling the photo/fingerprint thing to try to
anticipate how much hassle/delay might be involved. You came back before
Jan 1, so I guess that didn't apply to you. Where did the Brazilians board
to check passports... at the entrance to the Amazon? How was the OV trip?
St. Thomas was fine, but we really wanted to go to the Amazon!

Joan

And I've been to Brazil before and had no problem with customs.
m...

Old February 23rd, 2004, 02:11 PM
Becca

DDupin wrote:

Why did you feel you needed to pay a bribe? My husband and I have been through
Brazilian customs six or seven times and have never been asked for or felt we
needed to pay a bribe.

I have visited a few cities in Northern Brazil and a couple of cities in
Southern Brazil. I never saw the need to pay a bribe to anyone. They
were kind and courteous and they treated me with respect. I hope that
customs in America treats visitors equally as well.

Becca -----would retire in Brazil if I spoke Portuguese...

Mariner of the Seas 3/04
Norwegian Dawn http://www.cruisemaster.com/dawn.htm
Sleazy3 http://www.cruisemaster.com/sleazy3.htm
MOAGC http://www.motherofallgroupcruises.com/

Old February 24th, 2004, 12:34 PM
nan

We were on a Princess cruise extension at Igwasau(expcuse
spelling)Fall (4 years or so ago)crossingthe border(2 bus loads of
Princess passenger).They took all passports and held them(while tour
guide negotiated for 2+ hours)and and would not return or allow us
entry.After several hours the tour guide informed us the only way we
would be allowed to cross was to give $1 each(I know not much--just
the idea)--which we did.

On the Olympic Voyager they spent hours going through each
passport--while their officiers dined drank and toured ship.This was
not the normal way they cleared ship--usually quite speedy.From what
we heard they were also concerned about sanitation.