Australia in late-March

Old December 14th, 2004, 02:36 AM
innuen6o

Default Australia in late-March

Greetings!

I have a few questions that I hope I can get answers to... I'm planning
a tight 10-day trip to Australia in late-March, and hope to visit
Sydney-Ayers Rock-Cairns-Sydney. I will be traveling with the Qantas
Airpass (from LA to SYD and then internally).

1. How reliable is Qantas for domestic flights? Are scheduled flights
cancelled frequently or late? As I will be on a tight timeline, I'm
expecting all flights to depart on time.

2. Does anyone have any recommendations for DAY TRIP companies in
Sydney, Ayers Rock, and Cairns? (I've been looking on www.viator.com)

3. Is the Great Barrier Reef good to snorkel in March?

4. Can you climb Ayers rock (not with rope, but hike up it?).
Thanks!

-pete

Old December 14th, 2004, 03:19 AM
Peter Konnecke

Hi

I've flown Qantas for the past 20 years and so far I haven't had any
real issues with them, except for the occasional delay which every
airline or scheduled transportation should expect. I was offloaded once
but I was treated like royalty when that happened. Nothing was too hard
for them and they did everything they could to get me on the next
available flight which they did. All this and I was flying "discounted
economy".

Murrays Coaches have great day trips from Sydney. The GBR is good at
that time of year as the box jellyfish season is usually over by then.

The tribal caretakers of Ayers Rock do not approve of people climbing
the rock with or without the rope, and prefer you didn't. You
definately will not be allowed to climb it any other way other than the
tourist path (rope & railing). Climbing of the rock as a tourist is
"tolerated" .... just.

Old December 14th, 2004, 10:45 AM
chubby

Qantas is as good for time as you are going to get day trips another
company is aatkings they do day trips in Sydney and Alice Springs Ayers
Rock you have stay on the track take some water with you as it is a hot
dry climb up the reef in March if you get a good day it will be good
March is at the end of the wet there so you just have to have luck on
your side .

Old December 15th, 2004, 06:09 PM
Peter

In article .com,
innuen6o says...
Greetings!

I have a few questions that I hope I can get answers to... I'm planning
a tight 10-day trip to Australia in late-March, and hope to visit
Sydney-Ayers Rock-Cairns-Sydney. I will be traveling with the Qantas
Airpass (from LA to SYD and then internally).

Quick trip to see a lot of land, but you are doing it the right way. Any
number of tourists think they can hire a car and drive all that
distance. The answer is that you can, but you'll spend ten days driving
through some pretty ordinary country and have little time for doing what
you came here to do.

Doing the long legs by air is definitely the way to go.

1. How reliable is Qantas for domestic flights? Are scheduled flights
cancelled frequently or late? As I will be on a tight timeline, I'm
expecting all flights to depart on time.

Qantas is as reliable as you can get. Delays and cancellations are
usually caused by factors outside the control of the airline such as
weather or security alerts.

2. Does anyone have any recommendations for DAY TRIP companies in
Sydney, Ayers Rock, and Cairns? (I've been looking on www.viator.com)

All three locations have many different tour operators. I suggest that
you look for reviews of previous travellers for specifics, but I doubt
whether you'll find any that really stand out as either very good or
very bad. Hard to go wrong at any of these places.

4. Can you climb Ayers rock (not with rope, but hike up it?).

There is a marked track to the top of Ayers Rock. Take plenty of water
and sunscreen and wear comfortable clothing and good shoes or boots. It
is strenuous and should not be attempted if you have a weak heart or are
not reasonably fit. About 40 000 people climb Ayers Rock each year, and
there is maybe one death a month from heart attack or falling off the
edge.

You are far more likely to die of shock on seeing your bill if you stay
at the resort. (Little joke there.)

Peter

Old December 16th, 2004, 09:34 PM
innuen6o

Thanks so much for all your help! Can't wait to visit this great
country!

Old December 16th, 2004, 09:34 PM
innuen6o