Tuxedo tie question

Old January 2nd, 2008, 08:38 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
BrianK

Default Tuxedo tie question

On 1/1/2008 5:15 PM Duncan Craig did the "neutron dance", then made
these writings:
"Jean O'Boyle" wrote in message

"Jr." wrote in message

"Jean O'Boyle" wrote in message

"Jr." wrote in message

I was always told that the bowtie with the strap that goes around your
neck goes OVER the points of the collar.

Yet, I see so many people wearing the bowtie UNDER the collar in front.

Jr., It goes under the collar.

http://www.smarttuxedo.com/Ties--Cummerbunds-8/

Jean

Check out the 100% silk tie on that page. It is over the collar. See what
I mean? No real answer.

If you are referring to the two bow ties that are untied on that page,
then they are not in position...What do the majority photos show?...Under
the collar or winged collar of the shirt.
If you are that uneasy about it, stop in a tuxedo shop at your mall and
see for yourself, but I have never seen anyone wear them over the collar,
be a regular or bow tie.

--Jean

Until this gets resolved, I plan to wear it over the collar points on my
left side and under the collar points on my right side!

It's simple. If you are a Redneck, it's over the collar ... but you
MUST remember to cut the sleeves off and have a few strategically placed
beer stains. Hurl stains do not go on the shirt. Follow logic and
gravity. If you hurl, it goes on the shoes. All others, under the
collar. 'K? ;-)

--
________
Brian M. Kochera
Old January 2nd, 2008, 08:42 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
BrianK

On 1/1/2008 7:02 PM Nonnymus did the "neutron dance", then made these
writings:
Duncan Craig wrote:

Until this gets resolved, I plan to wear it over the collar points on
my left side and under the collar points on my right side!

Something I've done in the past to amuse myself on formal nights is to
pack a baggie of either white or yellow corn meal- like you use to
make grits or scrapple. After carefully dressing in my black suit or
tux, I then sprinkle the corn meal on the collar and shoulders of the
jacket, giving me the look of a person with terminal dandruff. It's
interesting how many good hearted people will come up and actually
brush it off, thinking it's something unintended and embarrassing.

Nonny

You *could* collect some cat or dog dander and use that. For
individuals so inclined to clean you up, if allergic, it might induce
some sneezes. ;-)

--
________
Brian M. Kochera
Old January 2nd, 2008, 12:57 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
RICK DAVIS

I solved this problem 12 years ago. I wear matching studs and a onyx &
gold button cover in place of a tie. Wings up or down doesn't matter.
Wings under or over the tie band is a matter of choice. Personally I
think the wings under the tie band looks stupid. To each their own.

Old January 2nd, 2008, 11:12 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Mark (SF)

On Jan 1, 11:09 am, "Jr." wrote:
I was always told that the bowtie with the strap that goes around your neck
goes OVER the points of the collar.

Yet, I see so many people wearing the bowtie UNDER the collar in front.

Anybody have the definitive answer?

I tried to google it but didn't find anything.

For years, the points of the wing collar would do battle with my
bowtie - and to be frank at any moment, I would be unable to tell you
how they were arranged (often a point would come between the two folds
on one side of the bow - neither inside or outside)

I find that a simple spread collar (like a standard dress shirt) gives
a much smoother, refined look (...yes, the bow goes over the collar)
Also, that way I don't have to worry about any of the bowtie's sizing
hardware around my neck showing either.

Mark
(needs to check his formal wear inventory before our QE2-QM2 trip in
may!)
Old January 3rd, 2008, 04:47 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
J Carnaghie[_2_]

Nonnymus wrote:
Duncan Craig wrote:

Until this gets resolved, I plan to wear it over the collar points on
my left side and under the collar points on my right side!

Something I've done in the past to amuse myself on formal nights is to
pack a baggie of either white or yellow corn meal- like you use to make
grits or scrapple. After carefully dressing in my black suit or tux, I
then sprinkle the corn meal on the collar and shoulders of the jacket,
giving me the look of a person with terminal dandruff. It's interesting
how many good hearted people will come up and actually brush it off,
thinking it's something unintended and embarrassing.

Nonny

Dear Nonny,
Does not the Tux T-shirt have the tie already
in place?
Cheers,
John in LALALand
(Where the Writers had better get back to work)
Old January 3rd, 2008, 02:06 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
LeeNY

On Jan 2, 6:12 pm, "Mark (SF)" wrote:

I find that a simple spread collar (like a standard dress shirt) gives
a much smoother, refined look (...yes, the bow goes over the collar)
Also, that way I don't have to worry about any of the bowtie's sizing
hardware around my neck showing either.

Or, you could learn to tie a real bowtie - no "sizing hardware"
concerns, and a much spiffier look.

Lee

Old January 3rd, 2008, 08:09 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
LeeNY

On Jan 3, 2:55 pm, E Fitzgerald wrote:

Actually, "real" bow ties (as opposed to pre-tied) do have sizing
hardware, although it's more discreet than on most pre-tied jobs. Bow
ties (even the upscale labels) must be made to allow for different neck
sizes, as there's very little slack you can take up when making the bow.
The only way to get a bow tie that fits without hardware is to have
one custom made.

None of my husband's bow ties have sizing hardware. They're just sewn
silk, like a long tie, but in the bow tie shape. Not sure what one
would do, with an extra large neck. But, I know the only way his are
adjustable is by how tightly he ties the bow.

(dad's bow ties never had sizing hardware, either)

Lee

Old January 4th, 2008, 06:53 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Mark (SF)

We have about 8-10 bowties and 3-4 of 'em are not pre-tied - I think
only one does not have a discreet hook for sizing.
In any event - yes, I do prefer non-cheaters - but sometimes they come
with a set (tho' we usually break the set and pair the components with
a different but complementary vest/tie), or I see a tie I just have to
have.

BTW - I find the best-made standard, reasonably-priced tuxedo shirts
at Nordstrom (with buttons that NEVER break up from commercial
laundering)

Mark

Old January 6th, 2008, 07:02 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
[email protected]

On Jan 1, 7:09 pm, "Jr." wrote:
I was always told that the bowtie with the strap that goes around your neck
goes OVER the points of the collar.

Yet, I see so many people wearing the bowtie UNDER the collar in front.

Anybody have the definitive answer?

I just bought a tux for my last cruise, the bow tie was just a pain in
the neck (no pun), what I plan to wear in the future is something like
this:

http://www.blacktieguide.com/Supplem...bandcollar.jpg