ship to airport time???

Old January 15th, 2008, 09:28 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
[email protected]

Default ship to airport time???

Three of us will be cruising on the Westerdam in April out of Ft.
Lauderdale. Mom and I are going to spend a couple days in Florida
after the cruise but our third person needs to get right back home.
The most convenient flight is at 1:45 so I'm assuming that she'll need
to be at the airport a couple hours before that or at least by noon.
As I recall, the airport at Ft. Lauderdale is real close to the
port...correct? How's the check-in process at Ft. Lauderdale's
airport? We're from Denver and when they say to be there 2 hours
ahead, they mean it, but from what I've heard Denver is one of the
slowest airports getting through security. Anyway, does she have
enough time to make the 1:45 flight or should she choose something
later? Thanks.

cha
Old January 15th, 2008, 11:33 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Charles[_1_]

In article
,
wrote:

Three of us will be cruising on the Westerdam in April out of Ft.
Lauderdale. Mom and I are going to spend a couple days in Florida
after the cruise but our third person needs to get right back home.
The most convenient flight is at 1:45 so I'm assuming that she'll need
to be at the airport a couple hours before that or at least by noon.
As I recall, the airport at Ft. Lauderdale is real close to the
port...correct?

She should have no problem with a 1:45 pm flight from Ft. Lauderdale or
any flight from there after 12:00 noon. The airport is close to the
port and it is not one of the very bad airports.

--
Charles
Old January 15th, 2008, 01:03 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
RICK DAVIS

By all means allow for those 2 hours at the airport. I flew out of FLL
on Dec. 17 (1PM Flight) and it took over 1 hour just to check in.
Security was about 20 mins. but it could have been much worse. That day
there was only a one cruise ship in port and it was a Monday. Just
budget the recommended time at FLL Airport. Some days that airport is a
dream to get thru and others its a nightmare.

Old January 15th, 2008, 04:16 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Just A Cruiser

Barring a delay in your ship's arrival in port, 1:45 should allow ample time
for them to comfortably make their flight.

Old January 15th, 2008, 10:36 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
[email protected]

Thanks for the replies. She decided she'd like to hang out with us
another day just to relax and make absolute sure she has plenty of
time.

I should be able to find the info doing a search for past posts but
since I'm here now and it's still somewhat topical...

Is HAL fanatical about having everyone cued up and off the ship real
early or can we dawdle a little? When we went on RCCL a couple years
ago they were rousting us out by 7AM, if I recall, but seems that I've
read that some other cruise liners are a little more gentle for those
of us who start slowly. I know we can't linger on board very long but
hate to be up before dawn to get the last of our stuff together and
rushed out without even coffee. Thanks again.

***I apologize if this comes through twice. I'm having some issues
with my news server and I've had to use google groups to post anything
(or so it seems)***

cha

Old January 15th, 2008, 10:44 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Surfer E2468

We had a very good time getting off a princess ship,no hurry,sat in the
wheelhouse bar and they served us coffee,juice,and danish until we were
called,were at the airport by 10.30 a.m.

cruise lover

Old January 16th, 2008, 08:00 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
BrianK

On 1/15/2008 5:36 PM did the "neutron dance", then
made these writings:

wrote:

Barring a delay in your ship's arrival in port, 1:45 should allow ample time
for them to comfortably make their flight.

Generally, on HAL ships they will not send you off without breakfast in
the Lido Buffet. My last cruise out of FLL on a HAL ship, we had a
rather late disembarkation time. After breakfast, we passed the time up
in the Crow's Nest Lounge.

Like many ships, HAL offers express disembarkation. You wheel your own
luggage of the ship. It is offered to people who must catch early
flights back home. I forget if it is during check in or on the last
night of your cruise. At some point you fill out a slip indicating your
airline, flight number and time of your flight. Disembarkation times
are partially assigned via color code, based on this information. After
the last group leaves the ship, you must as well. They have to perform
sanitation procedures and prepare for the next cruisers boarding the ship.

In Ft. Lauderdale, Casablanca Cafe is one place you might enjoy for
lunch or dinner. Las Olas Blvd is lined with interesting boutiques and
restaurants, some featuring musical entertainment.

--
________
Brian M. Kochera
Old January 16th, 2008, 10:15 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Sue Mullen

W4WNT wrote:
We've just returned from Fort Lauderdale after a cruise on the Emerald
Princess. A taxi ride from the cruise ship to the airport takes 10-15
minutes depending on traffic.

Getting through the airport depends heavily on how many cruise ships are
coming into Port Everglades the same day. On other occasions, we've seen
lines all over the airport with thousands of people trying to move through
security! In our case on Jan. 15, only the Emerald Princess and the Maasdam
were unloading passengers that day. That's around 5000 people. The airport
seemed very easy to move through by comparison with previous visits. Also,
pay the $2 and use curbside checking, it is much easier to deal with than
doing it yourself with the TSA inspections of checked luggage.

Hi Okiguy, it was great meeting you and your wife on the Emerald!!

We also got a cab from the pier to the airport and found the airport to
be much better then on other trips. A lot depends on the # of ships in
port that day, but also on which airline you are flying.

sue
Old January 17th, 2008, 06:17 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
[email protected]

Brian, thanks for your excellent answer and also the restaurant
suggestion. I thought about asking for some, and will probably do so
with another header. Easy to get away from the original topic but I'm
glad you mentioned it.

Anyway, with 2 of us being diabetics, it's always good to be able to
get a quick bite to eat before starting off in what always has the
potential to become a time-consuming process. And now that our third
doesn't have to rush to the airport, all the better.

BTW: What's a "neutron dance"? (And did I do it well?)

cha

Old January 18th, 2008, 01:48 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
ships4me via TravelKB.com

Hi...I am from Ft. Lauderdale. When you disembark the ship...by atleast 10am.
..your third person will have plenty of time to get to the FLL.

The port is real close..only about 15-20 minute traffic time from port to
airline departures. In FLL, allow about one and a half hour.

There will be no problem at all.

It is a very convenient airport to fly in and out of.