Kilimanjaro and Tarangire photos

Old November 3rd, 2003, 05:36 PM
Rydale

Default Kilimanjaro and Tarangire photos

Hi All

Just back from Kilimanjaro (Rongai Route) and Tarangire Conservation Area.
Had a brilliant time, and can recommend the Treetops lodge in Tarangire for
those who like a bit of peace and quiet!

If anyone's interested, I've put up a load of photos at
www.tomalin.org/charles/tanzania

Enjoy

Charles

--
www.wildviews.com
Natural History Photography

Old November 3rd, 2003, 11:12 PM
Pat Anderson

In message , Rydale
writes
Hi All

Just back from Kilimanjaro (Rongai Route) and Tarangire Conservation Area.
Had a brilliant time, and can recommend the Treetops lodge in Tarangire for
those who like a bit of peace and quiet!

If anyone's interested, I've put up a load of photos at
www.tomalin.org/charles/tanzania

Enjoy

Charles

Charles,
What wonderful photos! You`ve done it again!
I`m not going up Kili but seeing it is certainly an experience not to
be forgotten. I like the look of the Treetops Lodge. I always loved
baobabs.
I shall put your photos in my favourites again. Well done and thanks for
sharing them with us.
Pat
--
Pat Anderson
Old November 4th, 2003, 11:38 AM
Hans-Georg Michna

"Rydale" wrote:

If anyone's interested, I've put up a load of photos at
www.tomalin.org/charles/tanzania

Charles,

thanks, very good photographs!

Hans-Georg

--
No mail, please.
Old November 5th, 2003, 12:16 AM
Rydale

Thanks for your comments Pat and Hans-Georg.
I try!

As I've just 'gone digital' this year (these are my first serious efforts) I
confess to taking an awful lot of shots on the basis that it costs nothing
extra. The ones on the tomalin.org pages have been filtered down from around
600 pictures...

If anyone wants info on my experience with digital, drop me a line.
I don't want to take up space here as its a bit off-topic.

Rgds

Old November 5th, 2003, 12:53 AM
Liz

In message
"Rydale" wrote:

If anyone wants info on my experience with digital, drop me a line.
I don't want to take up space here as its a bit off-topic.

According to the charter:
"Rec.travel.africa shall be open for discussion about all facets of
travel on the continent. Primarily topics like how-to-get there,
how-to-get-around, accomodation, wildlife, and other travel related
issues are the aim of this group. Even though the main topic and
dominant subject feature is travel, discussion may also include topics
such as culture, archaeology, architecture, ethnology, photography,
history, geology, politics, diving, mountain climbing, arts, music,
cuisine, ecology, ornithology, etc."

So, since I also loved your pix, post away... :-)

Liz

--
Virtual Liz at http://www.v-liz.co.uk
Kenya; Tanzania; India; Seychelles
Old November 5th, 2003, 10:16 AM
Hans-Georg Michna

"Rydale" wrote:

Thanks for your comments Pat and Hans-Georg.
I try!

As I've just 'gone digital' this year (these are my first serious efforts)

Charles,

me too.

I confess to taking an awful lot of shots on the basis that it costs nothing
extra. The ones on the tomalin.org pages have been filtered down from around
600 pictures...

It does cost something extra. It costs you your audience. Got to
be selective, otherwise nobody will want to keep looking at your
many photos. I think you did that very well.

Exactly because photography is now so cheap and easy, we get a
flood of poor photos. If you want yours to be seen, you have to
make photos that stick out. Which isn't actually that difficult,
because most people are not ambitious and merely take photos
because it's fun to take them and because they want to catch and
remember the moment. Once you decide to take photos for a
general audience, there's your ambition.

Hans-Georg (http://www.michna.com/kenya2003/)

--
No mail, please.
Old November 5th, 2003, 06:06 PM
Gard

Hi

Nice pictures :-) I also came back recently from my trip but it seems like
you had a bit better weather than me. On your page you say "An amazing
experience (and a bit of hard work)". Just "a bit of hard work"? I found it
to be harder than expected but I did reach the top. Well, I have posted my
pictures on www.gardkarlsen.com

Regards
Gard

Old November 6th, 2003, 08:10 PM
Rydale

Ah well I confess I was in training for 6 months before going!
(At my age I wasn't leaving anything to chance).

Yes the weather was very good. On the morning after we got back to Marangu,
it rained for the first time. I suspect this would have made our route
somewhat harder as it was *very* dusty, and so would have been turned to
mud.

I was very impressed with the detail and layout of your report. I don't have
the time unfortunately (or sufficient access to the PC -wife and 2 children
to support ) to do that amount of work. I would recommend your site to
anyone else headnig for 'the big hill' as a very useful source of info.

Also, I had to laugh at your wife's comment "just do it.just leave me out of
it" - almost exactly what my wife said....

Rgds

Charles

Old November 6th, 2003, 08:28 PM
Rydale

Ah my point was that I don't have to worry about the film costs.
The problem with the audience has always been there, and I've always taken a
lot more shots than I would use - it just used to cost more. I used to
reckon on around 6 good shots per roll.

Easy rule, if you take two shots each time (different composition, focus
etc), half of the time the second shot will be better, so you immediately
improve half your images - think about it... Take three shots, and two
thirds of your images will be better..

My last trip out there was for a week on safari and a week in Zanzibar. I
took 40 rolls (1400 shots), which cost me UKP150 to process (special deal)
plus the film cost, and I had to keep rewinding films and reloading while
shooting. What I love with digital is not only the cost reduction bit, but
also I can dump them onto the PC and filter down to the useful 15% within a
day or so.

I've also found I can get prints done (and only of the ones I want...) for
20p for 7x5s, online; so I don't even have to go down to the processing lab
any more!! Fantastic.

The prints I get are as good as my old negative based ones, and of course I
can crop, recolour etc before submitting if I want to.
No contest - digital it is for me.

Incidentally I used two cameras - a Nikon D100 SLR, mostly for Safari; and a
Canon Sureshot S50 (compact) mainly for Kili. I was amazed that the quality
of the compact shots was as good as the SLR (5Mps versus 6Mps).

The SLR now sits on a shelf, unless I need the big lens, or the macro. (oh
yes, and my 300mm is now effectively a 420mm on the digital as well).

Ah - happy man.

Charles

Old November 7th, 2003, 03:18 PM
Hans-Georg Michna

"Rydale" wrote:

Ah my point was that I don't have to worry about the film costs.
The problem with the audience has always been there, and I've always taken a
lot more shots than I would use - it just used to cost more. I used to
reckon on around 6 good shots per roll.

Easy rule, if you take two shots each time (different composition, focus
etc), half of the time the second shot will be better, so you immediately
improve half your images - think about it... Take three shots, and two
thirds of your images will be better..

Charles,

that's certainly true for the blind photographer. But it isn't
so for me. I can see the photo already in the viewfinder, so I
usually take a first shot quickly, then wait for a better one.
Surprisingly often, in the vast majority of all photos, the
first remains the best, and quite often the second photo doesn't
get taken at all, because the situation deteriorates.

There are exceptions, of course. When there is a lot of
movement, I sometimes shoot away to later find the exceptional
one, but such cases aren't all that frequent. Very occasionally
I activate the rapid-fire function on my camera. Then there's
the movie shot that's never been there with film.

I agree though that it is now cheaper to take some extra photos.
But I still don't find that I take more than I took with film.
In fact I didn't take all that many. I have become selective
before I went digital.