Australia vacation help needed

Old November 5th, 2004, 11:58 PM
A Mate

Fly into Brisbane. Spend 3 days at O'Reilly's in the Lamington National
Park:
http://www.oreillys.com.au/content/home.asp?

Up to Noosa for 2 or 3 days - visit the Australia Zoo from the
http://www.crocodilehunter.com/
http://www.tourismnoosa.com.au/

Back to Brisbane to emplane for Cairns and the Reef:

http://www.cairns.au.com/

It IS the wet season, but that's no real hassle. The rain is warm and
everything carries on as usual when it's raining anyway. February will be
humid, but not oppressively so! (I lived in Cairns and surrounds for 17
years).

I'd recommend you buy a - Lonely Planet - Australia guide book - and
research beyond good ol' Steve Irwin.

Good Luck!

"GCRYAR" wrote in message
We are pretty open on the trip. We have about a $14,000 budget and enjoy
the
outdoor stuff. Australia Zoo is a must, as is the outback and reef. We
are in
our 50s. We only know what the Crock hunter has taught us about
Australia, so
any help or suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks

Glen

Old November 6th, 2004, 06:53 AM
Andrew Venor

GCRYAR wrote:
My wife and I are planning an Australian vacation this February. We are
leaning toward a tour, so we do not have to drive on the wrong side of the road
(wrong side for us). Any information on tour companies or guides recommended
will be appreciated.

Thanks

Glen

You shouldn't worry about the driving on your trip. I just got back
from Australia last night after spending two weeks there and I found
that driving on the left side of the road was no problem. It was nice
traveling on my own schedule and being able to stop when and where I
wanted, and not on the tours schedule.

The hook turns in Melbourne on the other hand took a little getting use
to, but I mastered them.

ALV
Old November 6th, 2004, 10:40 AM
Maurice ON4BAM

On Sat, 6 Nov 2004 08:58:56 +1000, "A Mate"
wrote:

Fly into Brisbane. Spend 3 days at O'Reilly's in the Lamington National
Park:
http://www.oreillys.com.au/content/home.asp?

Excellent choice. We stayed there last year. It certainly was a
higlight of our trip, as was the reef.

Bye Maurice
--
Hamradio: ON4BAM / M0CIL / 9H3Z http://www.on4bam.com/
Travelstories from Alaska, Scotland, South Africa,Iceland,

Old November 6th, 2004, 02:01 PM
AlmostBob

Hook turns, being smeared by a tram if you turn from the middle of the road
is kinda uncomfortable, if you survive the first near miss ya never forget
again

Old November 6th, 2004, 02:01 PM
AlmostBob

Old November 6th, 2004, 04:39 PM
Peter Webb

"GCRYAR" wrote in message
We are pretty open on the trip. We have about a $14,000 budget and enjoy
the
outdoor stuff. Australia Zoo is a must, as is the outback and reef. We
are in
our 50s. We only know what the Crock hunter has taught us about
Australia, so
any help or suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks

Glen

Don't worry about driving on the wrong side, its easy. Australians have to
do it all the time when we travel, and everybody adapts quickly.

Assuming you have a few weeks, as has been speculated, stay in Sydney a few
days (you won't need a car - cabs and ferries around the city will be faster
and cheaper. Dunno about the "Australia Zoo", but what many to be the second
best zoo in the world (after San Diego) is Taronga Zoo in Sydney - an
excellent ferry trip from the city. It also has spectacular views of the
city. The only thing the tourist zoos that Taronga doesn't do is let you
touch (some) of the animals. See them both and make up your own mind. Go out
to Bondi beach (20 minutes from city centre), check out the scene, then walk
around the coast to Tamarama - the most beautiful 1.5 kms coastal walk I
have seen in the world. Eat in good restuarants when in Sydney and all big
towns - restuarants are very good very good value by Western standards, and
the food far more interesting than you can easily get in the US, so worth
spending some money on.

Drive from Sydney up to the Gold Coast, or fly (about $90 each on Virgin
Blue http://www.virginblue.com.au/ or Jetstar http://www.jetstar.com.au/).
If you drive, you can take a couple of days and explore the coast. Having a
car is very useful for the Gold Coast - its attractions are spread over 50
kms of coastline. From the Gold Coast, you can drive 1.5 hours south and
visit Byron Bay; very interesting place, and go north 2.5 hours to Noosa, an
upmarket resort town. Check them both out, and you might want to stay a few
days in one of them.

Inland from the Gold Coast - and in the whole SE corner of QLD - there is
great bushwlaking and national parks. Obviously buy a guidebook.

Fly up to Cairns - its 2,100 kms from the Gold Coast. The reef and
rainforest are both very near; the only place in the world where two world
heritage sites join. If you have the time, book yourself into a resort on an
island on the reef. If you are still physically active, then you are not too
old to learn to scuba dive. Learn to do it at the resort.

From here you can either

1. fly to Ayers Rock (airport is called Alice Springs, but its a few hours
drive away). Desert country, obviously. Then fly back to Sydney. Or
2. Drive to Darwin across the top of Australia (its sealed all the way, even
in February you will be OK), maybe 4 days. This more open country changing
to tropical wetlands. From Darwin you can take tours of magnificent natural
parks (eg Kakadu). This is what I would prefer, but its not the dry desert
outback you probably expect. Then fly back to Sydney, via Alice Springs if
you have time.

You will have a great time in Australia. However, you clearly need to learn
a little more about the place before you come. It saddens us when all you
know of Oz (Australia) is what Steve Irwin tells you.

Old November 6th, 2004, 07:17 PM
Jason

On Sun, 07 Nov 2004 02:39:14 +1100, Peter Webb wrote:

1. fly to Ayers Rock (airport is called Alice Springs, but its a few hours
drive away). Desert country, obviously. Then fly back to Sydney. Or

There's an airport at Ayers Rock. You don't have to drive from Alice.

Jason

--
See http://www.scuba-addict.co.uk/ for UK diving reports and the UK
Underwater Visibility Database. View the database or add your own report