Air New Zealand Web Fares for Non-Residents?

Old October 28th, 2003, 01:34 AM
Ted Argle

Default Air New Zealand Web Fares for Non-Residents?

Hi,

We're from Canada and we'replanning a trip to New Zealand in December.
We've been looking at the fares for internal flights within New
Zealand on the Air NZ web site (http://www.airnz.co.nz). The prices
that we see on the site are MUCH less than those that our travel
agent. When we look at the 'Canadian' Air NZ site the prices are even
higher than those our travel agent got for us!

When we called Air NZ to ask them what the deal was, we were told that
the fares listed on this site are for NZ residents only. However,
they also said that 'technically' they're for NZ residents only but
everybody (meaning non-residents) could also book them so... go ahead.

Do any non-residents have any experience with booking web fares on Air
NZ? I really don't want to show up at the airport and be told that my
ticket isn't valid. But, at the same time, we're talking a
SIGNIFICANT difference in the ticket prices.

Ted Argle

Old October 28th, 2003, 04:43 AM
alfred

Ted Argle wrote:

When we called Air NZ to ask them what the deal was, we were told that
the fares listed on this site are for NZ residents only. However,
they also said that 'technically' they're for NZ residents only but
everybody (meaning non-residents) could also book them so... go ahead.

Do any non-residents have any experience with booking web fares on Air
NZ? I really don't want to show up at the airport and be told that my
ticket isn't valid. But, at the same time, we're talking a
SIGNIFICANT difference in the ticket prices.

How are they going to find out? When you book a ticket, you are not
asked for an address, just a valid email account, which is no real
indication of whether you are in NZ or not, and a phone number. Now,
obviously you are not going to give your Canadian phone number - give
something like the phone number of the place you are first booked to
stay once you get here. There are internal checks when you front up to
get your boarding pass, where you have to show ID. The fact that you
are travelling on a Canadian passport is no indication that you are not
resident here, but to avoid questions, use a credit card as ID.

Old October 28th, 2003, 07:02 AM
vicki Steven

in article , alfred at
wrote on 28/10/03 5:43 PM:

Ted Argle wrote:

[...]

The interesting thing about using a credit card as ID is that there was all
that fuss over having to show photo ID when checking in & I had dreadful
trouble with an elderly aunt who didn't have a driver's licence etc - but if
you use the new self-check-in kiosks you only need a credit card. Does
anyone know if it has to be the one you used when paying? - mine was - but
what if I'd booked for my daughter - can she use her own credit card?

Vicki

Old October 28th, 2003, 07:34 AM

On 27 Oct 2003 17:34:48 -0800, (Ted Argle) wrote:

[...]

Did you look at the conditons of sale regarding these tickets?

You may want to look very closely at the conditions of sale ie:
cancellation - no refund;
baggage allowance = 20 kgs per person;
excess baggage $5 per kg.

Your international ticket will permit the amount per that ticket so if
you have more than 20kg of baggage that you have to pay excess on,
that cheap ticket suddenly may not like a good bargin!

Cath

Old October 28th, 2003, 08:54 AM
demon news

I asked them about this and got this reply:

"Thank you for your email

The New Zealand engine of our website will offer cheaper levels as they
are for the domestic market only. There is nothing stopping you from booking
the lesser option from outside of New Zealand but you must enter a New
Zealand contact number and/or address for a booking to be completed. I
can suggest if you have friends or relatives in New Zealand, for them to
arrange the flights on your behalf."

I guess that means it's OK to book them then
Walter Mcleod

om...

Old October 28th, 2003, 01:33 PM
Bernard Smith

"vicki Steven" wrote in message
.. .

The interesting thing about using a credit card as ID is that there

was all
that fuss over having to show photo ID when checking in & I had

dreadful
trouble with an elderly aunt who didn't have a driver's licence

etc - but if
you use the new self-check-in kiosks you only need a credit card.

Does
anyone know if it has to be the one you used when paying? - mine

was - but
what if I'd booked for my daughter - can she use her own credit

card?

The credit card is meant to be the one used to purchase the ticket, as
that number is recorded in the booking.

Where a frequent flyer number is recorded in the booking, the relevant
frequent flyer card should also work.

Qantas QuickCheck machines also allow you to enter the 6 digit PNR if
you know it.

Old October 28th, 2003, 02:46 PM
Ted Argle

Thanks for your reply Walter. Have you actually purchased this type
of ticket from Air NZ or are you planning to in the near future?

Ted

Old October 28th, 2003, 04:37 PM
demon news

With the speed that these tickets are disappearing, I hope to buy this week.
I just need the nod from my cousin to give her phone number as a contact.
You can actually check the number of seats left if you go through part of
the booking procedure, then select 'choose your seat' option. It shows the
reserved, and free seating.
Walter Mcleod

om...

Old October 29th, 2003, 04:16 AM
Geoff Rait

In , texan wrote:
On 27 Oct 2003 17:34:48 -0800, (Ted Argle) wrote:

We're from Canada and we'replanning a trip to New Zealand in December.
We've been looking at the fares for internal flights within New
Zealand on the Air NZ web site (http://www.airnz.co.nz). The prices
that we see on the site are MUCH less than those that our travel
agent. When we look at the 'Canadian' Air NZ site the prices are even
higher than those our travel agent got for us!

Do any non-residents have any experience with booking web fares on Air
NZ? I really don't want to show up at the airport and be told that my
ticket isn't valid. But, at the same time, we're talking a
SIGNIFICANT difference in the ticket prices.

I did exactly this last December for Auckland-Wellington return to
complete a trip from Canada. No problems. I do have family in NZ so I would
have given an NZ contact address had one been required (I don't recall doing
so, but I see another poster's note from Air NZ about this being a
requirement). Ticketing is by e-ticket to your email address.

Did you look at the conditons of sale regarding these tickets?

You may want to look very closely at the conditions of sale ie:
cancellation - no refund;
baggage allowance = 20 kgs per person;
excess baggage $5 per kg.

Your international ticket will permit the amount per that ticket so if
you have more than 20kg of baggage that you have to pay excess on,
that cheap ticket suddenly may not like a good bargin!

The above points could be important considerations. The no-refunds aspect
might not worry you, as the fares are so cheap (due to my schedule I had to
give up the original return leg of my original ticket and purchase another
for a later date - again, done from Canada - but it still worked out cheaper
than the regular fare would have); but the one-bag/20 kg limit might be a
factor. Buy the biggest cabin bag permissible.

Geoff

--
Actually, I do have spots.
Old October 29th, 2003, 11:29 AM
demon news

Well, I tried booking today. Everything went OK up 'til I gave credit card
details. They ask for your country of residence. I told them UK,
they said, "problem only for residents of NZ, OZ and other Pacific islands".
Any ideas round this other than prejury?
Walter Mcleod

"demon news" wrote in message
With the speed that these tickets are disappearing, I hope to buy this

week.
I just need the nod from my cousin to give her phone number as a contact.
You can actually check the number of seats left if you go through part of
the booking procedure, then select 'choose your seat' option. It shows the
reserved, and free seating.
Walter Mcleod

om...