Rail pass to save bucks

Old April 3rd, 2008, 07:32 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
[email protected]

Default Rail pass to save bucks

I go to Europe about once a year.

My usual procedure is to fly in, take a short train ride to a local
town that has a rent-a-car dealer and rent my car there (so as to
avoid the airport tax).

I have a semi-business trip scheduled for late June to southern
Germany & Switzerland.

After looking at car rental prices and gas price this year, I think I
am going to get a rail pass rather then drive. Yes, I will have to
give up a little freedom, but the trains go everywhere I need to be.
I am not taking a lot with me, and all of the items I buy I can ship
from the local post office.

I did some research on http://railpasssales.com and http://swissrailpasses.com.
There are several ways of figuring it, but generally it appears that I
can save a good deal of money. At this point it looks like I will
have to buy two passes, one for Germany and one for Switzerland. It
appears that once I finish my business in Switzerland, I can take a
train direct to Munich using my Swiss railpass. Spend the night and
then take the train to the airport in the morning.

In Munich and Zurich, the S-Bahn will take me right to the locations I
need to go to. In Lucerne the guy I need to see is a block and a half
from the train station...and I usually have to walk that far when I
park the car.

I have used commuter trains like from Koln to Bohnn and Munich to
Nurnburg and have never had a problem, so I can't imagine traveling
full time on the will be any different.

If anybody has any ideas or suggestions, I would like to hear them.
Old April 3rd, 2008, 08:18 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
erilar

In article
,
wrote:

[...]

It sounds as if you've done your research. That's how I travel when on
my own. NEVER Eurail, of course.

--
Mary Loomer Oliver (aka Erilar)

You can't reason with someone whose first line of argument is
that reason doesn't count. --Isaac Asimov

Erilar's Cave Annex: http://www.chibardun.net/~erilarlo*