Insurance fails to pay up.

Old October 2nd, 2004, 12:34 AM
Miss L. Toe

Default Insurance fails to pay up.

OK I don't know the details but this doesn't sound very nice:
http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0...153942,00.html

TEENAGER OWES HOSPITAL £30,000

A British teenager stranded in Turkey after a holiday accident will be flown
home by her insurance company - but they are refusing to pay her medical
bills.

Sarah Webster, 18, who fell 30ft from a balcony at her hotel in the resort
of Marmaris, owes the hospital £30,000 after extensive surgery.

She is now being forced to sell her showjumping pony in order to settle the
hospital bill.

Her claim failed to meet the terms of her Post Office travel insurance but
the company has decided to fly her home as an act of compassion.

Sarah, from Cricklade in Wiltshire, had surgery on one of her legs which had
been too swollen to operate on immediately after the fall.

A statement issued by the Post Office said: "We have every sympathy for Ms
Webster's plight, and because of the special circumstances, we have been
looking sympathetically at this case and are keen to help the family.

"As an act of compassion, the Post Office has offered to fly Sarah home when
the medical experts agree that it's safe to do so."

Old October 2nd, 2004, 12:47 AM
chancellor of the duchy of besses o' th' barn

Miss L. Toe wrote:

OK I don't know the details but this doesn't sound very nice:
http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0...153942,00.html

TEENAGER OWES HOSPITAL £30,000

A British teenager stranded in Turkey after a holiday accident will be flown
home by her insurance company - but they are refusing to pay her medical
bills.

Huh? One news organisation obviously has it wrong, and I don't know
which. The BBC reports that she had no insurance- thinking she'd be
covered by the E-111 form.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/w...re/3705258.stm

David

--
David Horne- www.davidhorne.net
Old October 2nd, 2004, 01:21 AM
Miss L. Toe

"chancellor of the duchy of besses o' th' barn"
wrote in message
news:1gl07gj.aqgg4rc3lv40N%this_address_is_for_spa ...
Miss L. Toe wrote:

OK I don't know the details but this doesn't sound very nice:
http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0...153942,00.html

TEENAGER OWES HOSPITAL £30,000

A British teenager stranded in Turkey after a holiday accident will be

flown
home by her insurance company - but they are refusing to pay her medical
bills.

Huh? One news organisation obviously has it wrong, and I don't know
which. The BBC reports that she had no insurance- thinking she'd be
covered by the E-111 form.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/w...re/3705258.stm

Which includes the paragraph:

Medics also informed her that even if she had taken out additional cover,
insurance firms would not have paid up because she had been drinking before
her fall.

Sounds to me like the facts might be:
She had a policy.
She had been drinking.
The insurance company refused to pay up.

But, of course, I am speculating.
I wonder how much she drank - Or more importantly how much the insurance
companies let you drink before they deny liability.

Or maybe her parents had a family multi-trip policy some of which, in the
small print, don't cover the children when travelling without their parents.

Old October 2nd, 2004, 09:02 AM
ash

She didn't have any insurance!! She was relying on the cover from E111 and
was too thick to realise that Turkey isn't in the European Union. Hence the
P.O. are the ones commenting on it.

Old October 2nd, 2004, 09:52 AM
Roland Perry

In message , at 08:02:37 on Sat, 2
Oct 2004, ash remarked:
She didn't have any insurance!! She was relying on the cover from E111 and
was too thick to realise that Turkey isn't in the European Union. Hence the
P.O. are the ones commenting on it.

Not quite.

thisislondon (and sister site thisistravel) state:

Although Miss Webster had not taken out travel insurance, she
did take an E111 form with her, which provides for reciprocal
free emergency treatment in European Union countries. But she
did not realise that Turkey is not yet an EU member.

although BBC have changed their story to:

Her claim failed to meet the terms of her Post Office travel
insurance and she may have to sell her showjumping pony to pay
the bill.

The Scotsman says:

A statement issued by the Post Office said: "Under the Data
Protection Act, we are not at liberty to discuss individual
claims.

But then goes on with:

"However, our underwriters have taken the advice of the medical
team that was on the scene and have been given full access to Ms
Webster's medical records."

It added: "We can confirm that as with all claims made, Ms
Webster's claim has been assessed based on its individual merits
and under the terms and conditions of the contract.

"However, we have every sympathy for Ms Webster's plight, and
because of the special circumstances, we have been looking
sympathetically at this case and are keen to help the family.

"As an act of compassion, the Post Office has offered to fly
Sarah home when the medical experts agree that it's safe to do
so.

And Sky:

A British teenager stranded in Turkey after a holiday accident
will be flown home by her insurance company - but they are
refusing to pay her medical bills.

But there is one story which appears to bind the two versions together,
in yesterday's Scotsman:

Despite stating her destination was Turkey - which is not in the
EU - staff at her local post office issued and stamped the form.

And the Telegraph also has elements of both:

She was in possession of an E111 form, which allows tourists to
benefit from an international agreement to provide free medical
treatment between European Union countries.

Despite stating her destination was Turkey - which is not in the
EU - staff at her local post office issued and stamped the form,
her family said.

However when Miss Webster produced the form at the Ahu Hetman
Hospital in Marmaris, she discovered it was not valid in Turkey.
She was also told insurance firms would not pay because she had
been drinking before the fall.

As did an *earlier* BBC story:

When she produced the form on her arrival at the Ahu Hetman
Hospital in Marmaris, she was told Turkey was not in the EU.

Medics also informed her that even if she had taken out
additional cover, insurance firms would not have paid up because
she had been drinking before her fall.

So, I think what's actually happened is this...

She's gone to the post office and asked for an E111 saying she was going
to Turkey, and the Post Office has issued her with the form - rather
than saying that it wouldn't be valid.

After the fall, the E111 has proven ineffective, and the hospital has
gratuitously chipped in with "but even if you did have insurance they
wouldn't have paid".

She (or the parents) have complained to the post office (who have
delegated it to their travel insurance branch) and who have said "We
can't pay the medical bills but we can fly her home". [ie the "claim" is
that the E111 was erroneously issued, and the "underwriters" are public
liability ones]

The only other possibility is that the Post Office attempts to sell
travel insurance to people asking for an E111, and it was that policy
that was invalid due to the drinking (and subsequently the E111 was
invalid as outside-EU).

[The Post Office Travel Insurance excludes so many things that it's
almost worthless, but the "European" version does cover Turkey, so
that's not an issue.]
--
Roland Perry
Old October 2nd, 2004, 10:03 AM
Simon Elliott

On 02/10/2004, chancellor of the duchy of besses o' th' barn wrote:

Huh? One news organisation obviously has it wrong, and I don't know
which. The BBC reports that she had no insurance- thinking she'd be
covered by the E-111 form.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/w...re/3705258.stm

Which contains the para: "Miss Webster had mistakenly thought Turkey
was in the European Union and had taken an E-111 form, which entitles
EU citizens to free medical treatment in member states."

After all the controversy about whether or not to admit Turkey to the
EU, how can any Brit not know this?

--
Simon Elliott http://www.ctsn.co.uk

Old October 2nd, 2004, 10:13 AM
Roland Perry

In message , at 09:03:37 on
Sat, 2 Oct 2004, Simon Elliott remarked:
After all the controversy about whether or not to admit Turkey to the
EU, how can any Brit not know this?

Spencer: "You know you see those people in Venice standing on the back
of gondolas, pushing it around?"

Jade: "They don't do that on the Thames though, do they?"

Spencer: "No. I don't work on the Thames. I work in Cambridge."

Jade: "Is there not the Thames there?"

Spencer: "No!"

Jade: "Is there a river called the Cambridge river?"

Spencer: "Yeah, it's called the Cam."

Jade: "Really? You swear? I only thought there was the Thames. I thought
that was the main one in London."

Spencer: "It is. I don't live in London."

Jade: "I'm confused. I thought Cambridge was in London. I knew
Birmingham weren't in London."

Spencer: "Would you like to go and tell the group what you just said?"

Jade: "No..."

Spencer: "Cambridge is a city."

Jade: "But we've got a city in London."

Spencer: "Yes. This city is called London. And there's different parts
of it. Cambridge is a city."

Jade: "Of where? Kent?"

Jade: "Well England's a country, London's a city, Bermondsey's just a
throw-off. Now where are you? What's your country, and what's your
things?"

Spencer: "What country am I from? England. The city is called Cambridge,
the county Cambridgeshire."

Jade: "So not Kent then?"

Spencer: "Nooooo.... The region is called East Anglia."

Jade: "East Angular? That's abroad. Is there not a place called East
Angular abroad?"

Spencer: "Jade, have you been taking the stupid pills again?"

Jade: "Every time people tell me they work in East Angular, I actually
think they're talking about near Tunisia and places like that. Am I
thick?"
--
Roland Perry
Old October 2nd, 2004, 10:14 AM
anonymous

Simon Elliott wrote:

After all the controversy about whether or not to admit Turkey to the
EU, how can any Brit not know this?

The heavy drinkers might be confused.