Greetings from Ghana

Old August 15th, 2006, 07:40 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.africa
Gregory Morrow[_1_]

Default Greetings from Ghana

Leffe wrote:

Leffe wrote:
Leffe wrote:
it was non essential, but I flew anyway

Accra is a polluted mess although there are some quiet parts to get
away from the mayhem.
The Zoo was not as bad as I thought, and the National museum was worth
an hour.
But apart from that......leave.

Took a 4 hour bus ride to Cape Coast, but they are rebuilding the road
and it rained.
Difficult to describe, but it was a mess.

Cape Coast, much more relaxed than Accra, and the 'Hans Cottage Botel'
is worth the US35.
Going to the Kakum National Park tomorrow to see some flora and fauna.

Why am I on the internet, well my GF is throwing up and the TV is ****
(

a good day today,

Kakum National Park
A good tree walk was had by all and no one fell off, but only a few
butterflies to be seen.
Its also the rainy season so the 1hr hike was a bit slippery. Some
amazingly huge trees.
Logging of nearby forest still continues, as does the killing of
bushmeat (pangolins, monkeys).

Cape Coast Castle
Last owned by the British for holding slaves before they were
transported to the new world. Its only when you stand in the dungeons
that you understand what that means.
Just outside the Castle is a great foto opportunity of people and
fishing boats (pirogues).
The smell is either the sea breeze or the public ****ting grounds.

Tomorrow Kumasi.

first the fotos

http://www.flickr.com/photos/10172509@N00/

Nice pix...

That '60 Cadillac Fleetwood of Nkrumah's should be put up on eBay ;-)

--
Best
Greg

Old August 16th, 2006, 07:33 AM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.africa
Leffe

Gregory Morrow wrote:
Leffe wrote:

Leffe wrote:
Leffe wrote:
[...]

the glass is a couple of inches thick (bullet proof)
all the kids try to break it (without success)

Old August 16th, 2006, 12:02 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.africa
Dave Frightens Me

On 15 Aug 2006 11:18:13 -0700, "Leffe"
wrote:

first the fotos

http://www.flickr.com/photos/10172509@N00/

Holy crap, those snails on the second page!!!!
--
---
DFM - http://www.deepfriedmars.com
Old August 16th, 2006, 12:26 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.africa
Leffe

wrote:

first the fotos

http://www.flickr.com/photos/10172509@N00/

Holy crap, those snails on the second page!!!!
--
---
DFM - http://www.deepfriedmars.com
---
--

even the worms and ants are 'supersized'

Old August 16th, 2006, 02:23 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.africa
Gregory Morrow[_1_]

wrote:

first the fotos

http://www.flickr.com/photos/10172509@N00/

Holy crap, those snails on the second page!!!!

We were discussing escargot a la snails on rec.food.cooking yesterday
so I posted Martin's BIG SNAIL pic (I hope that was okay, Martin, all
were impressed by your pic!). Apparently these are Giant African
Snails (obviously!) and they are a real pest in Hawaii and other places
around the Pacific Basin. A Florida kid on holiday in Hawaii brought
three back as "pets" in 1966 and released them, Florida spent many
years eradicating them. They also have some kind of parasite that can
infest humans...

There was a pic on the US Dept. of Agro site that showed some of them
hanging about in TREES fer gawd's sakes...

--
Best
Greg

Old August 16th, 2006, 02:46 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.africa
[email protected]

wrote:

first the fotos

http://www.flickr.com/photos/10172509@N00/

Holy crap, those snails on the second page!!!!

A Florida kid on holiday in Hawaii brought
three back as "pets" in 1966

Not in his carry-on, he didn't!

There was a pic on the US Dept. of Agro site that showed some of them
hanging about in TREES fer gawd's sakes...

BIG trees.

B;

Old August 16th, 2006, 03:31 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.africa
Leffe

Leffe wrote:
Leffe wrote:
Leffe wrote:
[...]

and the trip report.................

Ghana in 2 weeks

Day 1
Accra is a polluted mess although there are some quiet parts to get
away from the mayhem.
The Zoo was not as bad as I thought, and the National museum was worth
an hour.
But apart from that......leave.

Day 2
Took a 4 hour bus ride to Cape Coast, but they are rebuilding the road
and it rained.
Difficult to describe, but it was a mess.
Cape Coast, much more relaxed than Accra, and the 'Hans Cottage Botel'
is worth the US35.
Going to the Kakum National Park tomorrow to see some flora and fauna.
Why am I on the internet, well my GF is throwing up and the TV is ****

Day 3
Kakum National Park
A good tree walk was had by all and no one fell off, but only a few
butterflies to be seen.
Its also the rainy season so the 1hr hike was a bit slippery.
Some amazingly huge trees.
Logging of nearby forest still continues, as does the killing of
bushmeat (pangolins, monkeys).

Cape Coast Castle
Last owned by the British for holding slaves before they were
transported to the new world. Its only when you stand in the dungeons
that you begin to understand what that means.
Just outside the Castle is a great foto opportunity of people and
fishing boats (pirogues).
The smell is either the sea breeze or the public ****ting grounds.

Day 4
STC bus at 18:00 so,visit Elmina Castle, same idea as Cape Coast.
Use ATM to get wad of 800,000 Cedi (USD 80). Near miss with bowels so
pop an immodium instant, success
Watch birdlife from 'Hans Cottage Botel' restaurant, Kingfishers,
Hornbills, Weaver, Ibis, Crocodile.
Bus tickets double booked, so find hotel.....

Day 5
Kumasi by taxi to save time and hassle.....broke down for 3 hours as
the cheap Tro-tro's passed us by.
But quality time spent with the locals stops the boredom.
Excellent Indian food at Vic Baboo's.

Day 6
Go to Owabi Reservoir for forest walk and monkey watching, despite taxi
drivers who have never heard of it.
Its Sunday so everything is shut.

Day 7
Stay in Nkoranza (www.operationhandinhand.nl), run by Dutch doctor for
handicapped children.
Absolute bliss after busy Kumasi.
Take trip to Baobeng Fema Monkey Sanctuary where they worship Monkeys.
This means they
might be here in 50 years time instead of being eaten.

Day 8
Taxi to Mole National Park (USD 80) (otherwise its 2 long slow bus
trips and a night in Tamale).
Covered in dust from bad road.
Afternoon game walk, baboon, monkey, bushbuck, kob waterbuck, warthog,
crocodile and elephant.
Dumb Canadian girl tries to stroke wild monkey......

Day 9
Morning walk same as yesterday except cooler and more people.
Elephants having sex in the watering hole !
7 Elephants seen in all.
Cycle to Larabanga in the afternoon to see mud and stick Mosque.

Day 10
Taxi man returns (we were not sure as GSM coverage not too good in the
Park).
Get a flat close to civilisation (luckily), but no air in spare....deep
breath.
Taximan borrows a bicycle and cycles into distance with spare.
Returns with air in tyre, but wheel does not fit very well, so slowly
to garage in Damongo Junction.
Back to Nkoranza, only 2 hours late.
'Charity' has our dinner waiting.

Day 11
Taxi to Akosombo. Could have taken Tro-tro's but wanted to avoid
Kumasi.
7 hour trip, probably should have cost USD 100 but we paid USD 200.
Mole taxis seemed too cheap, so it evens out.
'Aylo's leisure spot' USD35 with a balcony on the river front.

Day 12
Agomanya market, interesting but not much to buy for tourists.
Lunch in the 'exclusive' Volta hotel overlooking the Dam.

Day 13
Tro-tro to Accra and check in to Shangri-La hotel (USD 95), much nicer
than 'Hansonic'.

Day 14
Taxi to Teshi to see Coffin maker.
Tried National Cultural Market for tourist stuff, but they are too
pushy.
Buy some masks from outside our hotel, cheaper and easier.

......any questions ??

Old August 16th, 2006, 04:36 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.africa
Gregory Morrow[_3_]

Leffe wrote:

Gregory Morrow wrote:
Leffe wrote:

****
(

[...]

I noticed the odd windscreen, that's not the standard - issue Cadillac
wrap - around windscreen...

--
Best
Greg

Old August 16th, 2006, 04:38 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.africa
Gregory Morrow[_3_]

Gregory Morrow wrote:

We were discussing escargot a la snails on rec.food.cooking yesterday
so I posted Martin's BIG SNAIL pic (I hope that was okay, Martin, all
were impressed by your pic!).

I meant LEFFE'S snail pic...

[I am sure however if Martin has any pictures that are very nice ;-) ]

--
Best
Greg

Old August 16th, 2006, 05:38 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.africa
Leffe

Gregory Morrow wrote:
Leffe wrote:

Gregory Morrow wrote:

[...]