Extra Charges

Old January 8th, 2004, 04:38 AM
Jay

Default Extra Charges

I am interested on comments on the extra or increased charges cruise
lines have started to impose. I have in mind such charges as
entertainment (a Norwegian ship, I think); spas; excursions; wine and
cocktail prices ($7 a glass of wine or $8 for a Martini); dinners at
specialty resturants ($20 pp on the Oosterdam), Internet use ($4 or so
for registration and 75 cents each minute). I know one doesn't have to
take advantage of any of those amenties but how many really won't buy a
few drinks or go on at least one excursion. I love cruising and cabin
prices may still be relatively low but those extras are starting to add up.

Your thoughts?
Old January 8th, 2004, 05:12 AM
Richard Bornstein

I just got back from a carnival cruise, Drinks of the day were $3, soda was
$1.5. My son had a one price drink all you want soda card for about $22 for
8 days. I had brought my own wine and soda on board so i didn't have to pay
anything extra.

ble.rogers.com...

Old January 8th, 2004, 10:20 AM
Charles

In article
. rogers.com, Jay
wrote:

wine and cocktail prices ($7 a glass of wine or $8 for a Martini);

On Island Princess a few months ago a glass of house wine was $4.50.
Woodbridge Cab $5. Mondavi Chardonnay $6. A Pina Colada was $4.75 and
Classic Martini was $4.95. Increased charges are only for fancy
Martinis and stuff like that.

--
Charles
Old January 8th, 2004, 12:11 PM
George in NY

Many years ago NCL was foremost in commencing with extra charges on various
things. The most notable was a ROOM SERVICE fee of $2. This is when I
stopped sailing NCL which up to that point was my first and favorite line.
Now so many years later I once again sail NCL ( btw there is no room service
fee anymore at least ) which has numerous extra charge areas including
ala-carte restaurants. Now they ALL have such areas and extra's with the
exception of a few real upscale high priced lines.

I predicted many years ago that if such extra areas were indeed utilized by
cruisers that eventually they would proliferate on all the lines and
eventually make cruising a far differnt experience from what it was in 1984
when we first sailed. My though has indeed come true much to my chagrin. I
still cruise and still find that cruising is a better bargain than most land
based trips, however the disparity becomes less and less each year.

We have demanded CHEAP, we expect MASS MARKET, we don't wish a DIFFERENT
style vacation, nor do we plan to dress. The cruise industry has delivered
on what we asked. Please make our cruise as close to driving over to
seaworld for the day as you can.

We cruise 2 or more times a year and have since 1984. Every cruise I shake
my head at something else that has become either Americanized or extra
charged. Recent cruises on NCL Dawn I was surprised to find that the once
FREE Daily Fax newspaper can now be PURCHASED. I found little beef offered
on regular menus in FREE restaurants, of course for 17.50 pp cover you can
get it at the extra charge steakhouse.

We demand low prices and like everything else there is a bottom line. The
cruiseline is a business and as such they are going to get X amount one way
or another. I predict that the trend to extra and ala-carte will eventually
bring pretty much destruction to the cruise industry only in that it is hard
to serve two masters and not offend either. Stoic cruiseaholics tend to
think more and more land package as cruising becomes more and more daily
reach in pocket. Many mass market cruisers enjoy the experience but find it
costs more than they expect and do it as a once in a life time trip and do
not return. In the meantime the industry continues to over build. Sooner or
later the bottom falls out.

George in NY

ble.rogers.com...

Old January 8th, 2004, 12:50 PM
JLeary256

[...]

"Jay" wrote in message
able.rogers.com...
I am interested on comments on the extra or increased charges cruise
lines have started to impose. I have in mind such charges as
entertainment (a Norwegian ship, I think); spas; excursions; wine and
cocktail prices ($7 a glass of wine or $8 for a Martini); dinners at
specialty resturants ($20 pp on the Oosterdam), Internet use ($4 or so
for registration and 75 cents each minute). I know one doesn't have to
take advantage of any of those amenties but how many really won't buy a
few drinks or go on at least one excursion. I love cruising and cabin
prices may still be relatively low but those extras are starting to add

up.

Your thoughts?

Well said George. I too starting cruising- early- 1981 and how I miss those
days and the smaller ships that were unique. I have gone on 31 cruises but now
take far more land vacations- at least 5 to 1.
Old January 8th, 2004, 01:02 PM
0 O

When you take a land vacation ALL these items are extra - you have a
choice -- CRUISING is still a BARGAIN .

Old January 8th, 2004, 02:30 PM
HDawson228

We're talking about personal choice items here. Options based on what you
want. The reservations restaurants are filling up. Some people obviously
enjoy that atmosphere. I sure did in the Olympic on the Millenium. WOW!
Generally, the drink prices are no more than your local Holiday Inn. Spas must
do pretty well since it's so important to book early for your time and day.

Cruising today is cheaper than 10 yrs ago. Onboard revenue is very important
to the business health of all cruise lines. I would hate to see the
cruiselines in the same shape as most all of the domestic airlines.
If you don't believe how important those onboard revenues are, suggest you read
the annual reports for Carnival and Royal Caribbean and pay particular
attention to the return on investment.
Old January 8th, 2004, 03:00 PM
Ray Goldenberg

On Thu, 08 Jan 2004 12:11:43 GMT, "George in NY"
wrote:

In the meantime the industry continues to over build. Sooner or
later the bottom falls out.

Hi George,

FWIW, the cruise lines have cut way back on newbuilds for the coming
years. 2004 will be the last year where there are a large number of
berths coming on line for quite some time. Now the shipyards are
hurting big time as they have all this capacity and no few new
orders. BTW, if you want sticker shock, price out a hotel room and
restaurants at a nice Caribbean resort. You will come back running to
the cruise industry. :+)

Best regards,
Ray
LIGHTHOUSE TRAVEL
800-719-9917 or 805-566-3905
http://www.lighthousetravel.com
Old January 8th, 2004, 03:45 PM
Jay

0 O wrote:
When you take a land vacation ALL these items are extra - you have a
choice -- CRUISING is still a BARGAIN .

not true...check out any good all-inclusive resort..they are indeed ALL
inclusive
Old January 8th, 2004, 03:46 PM
Mike

0 O wrote:
When you take a land vacation ALL these items are extra - you have a
choice -- CRUISING is still a BARGAIN .

My 2 cents worth:

I think a lot depends on where you are coming from. Airfare from
Canada can be a little pricy and typically accounts for about 40% of the
total cost of a cruise. Living in the US closer to some larger centers
would bring the price down I am sure.

I prefer cruising and will be taking another cruise in a month or so
but when I finally paid for my cruise, air fare and shore excursions I
was a little surprised. I could get a one week all-inclusive in the
Dominican for about 70% the price for what I paid for this cruise.
Having said that though, I believe the cruise will be more luxurious and
far more classy than an all-inclusive. Most people I talk to that take
the all-inclusives eat buffet style all week and lay on a beach for 7
days. I do like the beach but 7 days is a little much for me. Also a
cruise offers different ports which is a huge draw for me.

All in all I think a cruise is a little more expensive BUT the quality
far exceeds most all-inclusives.

Mike