Two Houston questions - Referring to the Astros and NASA

Old July 1st, 2004, 04:41 PM
Peter L

Default Two Houston questions - Referring to the Astros and NASA

"MC" wrote in message
Firstly, thanks to those who answered my previous post, re. Finding a

hotel
in Houston. I went on priceline.com and got 7 nights at the 4* Inn at the
Ballpark for $60 pn.

Anyway a couple of quick questions.

1. Is it easy to get to NASA via public transport. If we were to get a

taxi
rather than a bus (or whatever) what would the fare be, approximately.

Don't know. Texas is the land of cheap gasoline/petrol (slightly more
expensive than Iraq), so everyone drives.

2. We are thinking about going to see the Astros at the Minute Maid (when

in
Rome...). Now we have never seen a baseball game and had no idea of the
rules (sorry, but I am British ) until I read a brief rundown of the

rules
this evening.
My question is this:
Approximately, how long does a game last and will it be easy to pick up
what's going on?

The game can be mind numbingly long, or mercifully short. I would say count
on 3 hours. But it's ok to walk out early. Think of it as criket where the
players are allowed to spit.

Thanks in advance for any feedback to my questions.

MC

Old July 1st, 2004, 05:13 PM
Peter L

"MTV" wrote in message
MC wrote:
Firstly, thanks to those who answered my previous post, re. Finding a

hotel
in Houston. I went on priceline.com and got 7 nights at the 4* Inn at

the
Ballpark for $60 pn.

That's a great deal. The hotel is new and probably offering introductory

rates.

Summer time in Houstong. That explains it.

Anyway a couple of quick questions.

1. Is it easy to get to NASA via public transport. If we were to get a

taxi
rather than a bus (or whatever) what would the fare be, approximately.

On a previous web site I mentioned there's info on bus tours to the Space
Center and Galveston. The Metro bus to NASA would be ok since they're
express down the freeway. It's definitely worth seeing: where the
astrounauts live and train, Mission Control, IMAX, etc. If you go to
Galveston there're guided trolley tours, Moody Gardens with three large
areas (rain forest, aquarium, and Discovery for kids), plus IMAX movies,
plus shopping "On The Strand" next to the waterfront cruise ship

terminals.
Also harbor tours morning and afternoon, the old Elissa tall ship, movie

on
the 1900 hurricane that swept the island. Beaches are not much - no
boardwalks like on the East Coast.

2. We are thinking about going to see the Astros at the Minute Maid

(when in
Rome...).

Astros will be town except July 21st and 22nd.
http://houston.astros.mlb.com/

Old July 1st, 2004, 05:18 PM
MTV

Peter L wrote:

My son lives in Houston and we visited a couple of times. I agree with
everything you said except the end. Houston has probably the worst dining
scene for any major city we've experienced. LA, NY, and Chicago all beat
Houston hands down. Even many medium sized cities (notably SF) has much
more to offer in terms of restaurants.

Excuse me! That's absolutely false!
Huge variety, Most "dining out" city in the country, etc. etc. Unless your
son doesn't live "in the city" and is out in one of the Ex-urbs.

You can check out "Houston.Eats" newsgroup for discussions and answers to
questions.

Marvin

Old July 1st, 2004, 05:26 PM
Frank F. Matthews

There are bus tours nut they will charge you about 4 times the Metro
price to dump you at NASA. If you keep to the Metro schedule referenced
previously it should work just as well. A taxi would be out of sight.

Patty Winter wrote:

In article ,
MC wrote:

1. Is it easy to get to NASA via public transport. If we were to get a taxi
rather than a bus (or whatever) what would the fare be, approximately.

Given the pretty unencouraging answers that the Houston locals have
provided, perhaps you might want to consider a bus tour? You might
be able to find one that would pick you up at or near your hotel,
take you to JSC for a tour, and then bring you back. I don't know
how the price would compare to a taxi, but it might be worth investigating.

My question is this:
Approximately, how long does a game last and will it be easy to pick up
what's going on?

As someone else mentioned, as long as no one hits any infield fly
balls, you'll be okay. ;-) (There was even a scene about this on
Star Trek: Deep Space Nine once, proving that people will still be
confused by the rule hundreds of years from now. ;-) )

Yes, it's a slow-moving game, but that gives you time to chat and
look around and take in the atmosphere. Give it a try!

Patty

Old July 1st, 2004, 05:30 PM
Frank F. Matthews

Peter L wrote:

"MC" wrote in message

Firstly, thanks to those who answered my previous post, re. Finding a

snip

Don't know. Texas is the land of cheap gasoline/petrol (slightly more
expensive than Iraq), so everyone drives.

snip

Actually gasoline in Houston isn't cheap despite the large number of
refineries. It's almost always less in Atlanta or South Carolina.

Everyone drives because there isn't any other way to get around except
for special cases.

Fortunately for the OP Downtown to NASA is one of the special cases.

Old July 1st, 2004, 06:16 PM
Peter L

"MTV" wrote in message
Peter L wrote:

My son lives in Houston and we visited a couple of times. I agree with
everything you said except the end. Houston has probably the worst

dining
scene for any major city we've experienced. LA, NY, and Chicago all

beat
Houston hands down. Even many medium sized cities (notably SF) has much
more to offer in terms of restaurants.

Excuse me! That's absolutely false!
Huge variety, Most "dining out" city in the country, etc. etc. Unless your
son doesn't live "in the city" and is out in one of the Ex-urbs.

My son lives right in downtown. You can disagree all you want. I don't
know where that "most dining out city" moniker comes from. But for being
the 4th largest city in the US, it's dining scene is extremely poor.

You can check out "Houston.Eats" newsgroup for discussions and answers to
questions.

I don't have any questions. I was there and my son being single, eats out a
lot. It's our impression and his impression also.

Marvin

Old July 1st, 2004, 09:03 PM
Paul E. Lehmann

Peter L wrote:

My son lives in Houston and we visited a couple of times. I agree with
everything you said except the end. Houston has probably the worst dining
scene for any major city we've experienced. LA, NY, and Chicago all beat
Houston hands down. Even many medium sized cities (notably SF) has much
more to offer in terms of restaurants.

You gotta understand; I grew up in Pontiac, Illinois.
THE ethnic restaurant was a Pizza Pan that only opened about a year before I
graduated from High School.

As to the women, I'll leave the judgement to others. I am married, what
do I know about beautiful women?

Hmmmm - What is your wife's email address. I smell a chance for blackmail -
ha ha

Old July 1st, 2004, 09:50 PM
Julie

"Paul E. Lehmann" wrote in message
MC wrote:

Firstly, thanks to those who answered my previous post, re. Finding a
hotel
in Houston. I went on priceline.com and got 7 nights at the 4* Inn at

the
Ballpark for $60 pn.

Anyway a couple of quick questions.

1. Is it easy to get to NASA via public transport. If we were to get a
taxi rather than a bus (or whatever) what would the fare be,
approximately.

No, at least not that I am aware of. I Left Houston 10 years ago but I
still visit there a couple times a year to see family and friends.

Houston
is HORRIBLE when it comes to public transport. Most Houstonians perfer to
drive a car - even if they are the only occupant. The Gulf Freeway which
you will need to travel on to get to NASA can get VERY congested so be
prepared for slow traffic and traffic jams. In my opinion Houston is a
TERRIBLE city built on mosquito infested swamp land and was part of a land
deal rip off by the Allen Brothers years ago. Why on earth would you want
to visit there? It is hot and EXTREMELY HUMID and summer is NOT the best
time to visit there. There are only two saving graces about Houston.
Houston has some of the best food and the most beautiful women to be found
anywhere.

2. We are thinking about going to see the Astros at the Minute Maid

(when
in
Rome...). Now we have never seen a baseball game and had no idea of the
rules (sorry, but I am British ) until I read a brief rundown of the
rules this evening.
My question is this:
Approximately, how long does a game last and will it be easy to pick up
what's going on?

Games depend on how many innings are played. Most games end in 9 innings

so
it should last several hours. To me it is extremely boring - sort of like
watching grass grow. Since you are in the area, I would suggest you visit
Galveston. The Boardwalk in Kemah (near Galveston) is also sort of nice
with arcade games and other amusements and a very good selection of
restaurants. It too, can get quite crowded. If you really want to get a
flavour of Texas, visit the hill country around and near Austin -
especially the Fredricksburg, San Saba and Llano area.

Thanks in advance for any feedback to my questions.

MC

I have to agree with everything Paul has said. We visited our son and
daughter-in-law in Houston for a week or so in April, 2003. It certainly
isn't the place to visit for a holiday. We went solely to see our family.

Very hard to get around with out a car - but for us Aussies who drive on the
other side of the road - I wouldn't attempt to drive on your freeways.

We used a small company with a minibus a couple of times to take us to see
NASA one day and to see City of Houston and then on to San Jacinto. Sorry
can't remember the name but there must be many of them to choose from.

Julie
Melbourne, Australia

Old July 2nd, 2004, 05:58 PM
Lou Minatti

MC wrote:

Firstly, thanks to those who answered my previous post, re. Finding a
hotel
in Houston. I went on priceline.com and got 7 nights at the 4* Inn at the
Ballpark for $60 pn.

Anyway a couple of quick questions.

1. Is it easy to get to NASA via public transport. If we were to get a
taxi rather than a bus (or whatever) what would the fare be,
approximately.

No, at least not that I am aware of. I Left Houston 10 years ago but I
still visit there a couple times a year to see family and friends. Houston
is HORRIBLE when it comes to public transport. Most Houstonians perfer to
drive a car - even if they are the only occupant.

As do citizens of just about every other city in the US outside of
NYC, Boston and perhaps Chicago and San Francisco proper.

The Gulf Freeway which
you will need to travel on to get to NASA can get VERY congested so be
prepared for slow traffic and traffic jams.

Compared to traffic on the Capital Beltway, Houston's traffic is a
piece of cake.

America's Worst Traffic
http://money.cnn.com/2003/10/01/pf/traffic_worse/
1 Los Angeles, CA
2 San Francisco, CA
3 Denver, CO
4 Miami, FL
5 Phoenix, AZ
6 Chicago, IL
7 San Jose, CA
8 Washington, DC
9 Portland, OR
10 Boston, MA

In my opinion Houston is a
TERRIBLE city built on mosquito infested swamp land and was part of a land
deal rip off by the Allen Brothers years ago. Why on earth would you want
to visit there? It is hot and EXTREMELY HUMID and summer is NOT the best
time to visit there.

As we all know, Washington DC is an absolute paradise in the
summertime. And wasn't Washington DC also built on a swamp?

There are only two saving graces about Houston.
Houston has some of the best food and the most beautiful women to be found
anywhere.

That's odd. I wonder why the Places Rated Almanac ranked Houston #8
out of 354 metropolitan areas for good places to live? Seems to me
that if Houston was as horrible as you claim, its population would be
shrinking, like it is in Washington, DC. Yet Houston added 20% to its
population between 1990-2000. Your claims about Houston being a
horrible place appear to be at odds with the 640,000 or so who moved
here recently.

San Antonio, Corpus Cristi and Fredricksburg are the good tourist
destinations in Texas. Houston is not a tourist town, doesn't pretend
to be one, and I doubt it ever will be. But Houston is a great place
to work, start a business and raise a family.
Old July 2nd, 2004, 11:22 PM
Paul E. Lehmann

MC wrote:
Houston
is HORRIBLE when it comes to public transport. Most Houstonians perfer
to drive a car - even if they are the only occupant.

As do citizens of just about every other city in the US outside of
NYC, Boston and perhaps Chicago and San Francisco proper.

For a City its size Houston probably ranks WORST for public transportation.

The Gulf Freeway which
you will need to travel on to get to NASA can get VERY congested so be
prepared for slow traffic and traffic jams.

Compared to traffic on the Capital Beltway, Houston's traffic is a
piece of cake.

I now live in the DC area. Your statement is NOT true.

As we all know, Washington DC is an absolute paradise in the
summertime. And wasn't Washington DC also built on a swamp?

Yes, it was but - the mass transit it DC is pretty damn good - Houston's is
almost non existent.

There are only two saving graces about Houston.
Houston has some of the best food and the most beautiful women to be
found anywhere.

That's odd. I wonder why the Places Rated Almanac ranked Houston #8
out of 354 metropolitan areas for good places to live?

Beats me. Maybe the raters make money the good ole fashion Houston way -
they are easily bribed or bought outright.

Seems to me
that if Houston was as horrible as you claim, its population would be
shrinking, like it is in Washington, DC. Yet Houston added 20% to its
population between 1990-2000. Your claims about Houston being a
horrible place appear to be at odds with the 640,000 or so who moved
here recently.

There are suckers born every moment. Some people are attracted because
Texas doesn't have a state income tas - YET. It won't belong,however,
before they are forced to have one. Houston also APPARENTLY has
inexpensive housing - UNTIL one finds out the cost of house insurance
because of the so called toxic mold problems AND the very high cost of
electricity to cool their homes in a near HELL like environment.

Have we talked air quality yet? Houston has some of the WORST in the nation
and has even beat Los Angeles for unhealthy air. Of course, the die hard
Houston lovers call it "The smell of money".

Have we talked about very high cancer incidence rates yet? Look at a
incidence map for the United States.

I am glad you love Houston so much. STAY THERE.