U.S. tourism may be casualty of war on terror

Old February 17th, 2005, 08:50 PM
spamfree

Default U.S. tourism may be casualty of war on terror

http://www.cnn.com/2005/TRAVEL/02/17....ap/index.html

Old February 17th, 2005, 08:58 PM
PTravel

"spamfree" wrote in message
nk.net...
http://www.cnn.com/2005/TRAVEL/02/17....ap/index.html

The article assumes that the dip in tourism is the result of security
procedures. Isn't it also possible that the dip is the result of potential
tourists' distaste for recent American actions on the world stage?

Old February 17th, 2005, 09:37 PM
Juliana L Holm

In rec.travel.usa-canada PTravel wrote:

"spamfree" wrote in message
nk.net...
http://www.cnn.com/2005/TRAVEL/02/17....ap/index.html

The article assumes that the dip in tourism is the result of security
procedures. Isn't it also possible that the dip is the result of potential
tourists' distaste for recent American actions on the world stage?

The Washington Post's article this morning on this topic noted that issue
as twofold, both the distaste for American actions and the hassle factor
of the new security procedures.

--
Julie
**********

http://www.dragonsholm.org/travel.htm

Old February 17th, 2005, 10:58 PM
George Greene

That "hassle factor" is a major one to me......basically, unless we're
talking 2 full days of driving or more, we're going to be making the trip by
car, and not plane. Way too many unneccessary "dog & pony show" security
features, not to mention the capriciousness(different rules w/every
screener)of it all.

George

Old February 17th, 2005, 11:21 PM

people also dont consider the factor of recreational pothead tourists
staying home......we used to fly 10 or 12 times a year, but with the
new crackdown, it isnt worth the hassel of leaving your stash at home
while on vacation....I read somewhere over 100 million americans are
regular smokers, and if even half us arent flying now....that will hurt
the industry.....now people are flying to BC and amseterdam
instead......

Chuck

Old February 17th, 2005, 11:21 PM
PTravel

"George Greene" wrote in message
That "hassle factor" is a major one to me......basically, unless we're
talking 2 full days of driving or more, we're going to be making the trip

by
car, and not plane. Way too many unneccessary "dog & pony show" security
features, not to mention the capriciousness(different rules w/every
screener)of it all.

George

Are you driving across the border? From where? I've crossed into the US
from both Mexico and Canada post-9/11. Of course, I'm a citizen, but the
process didn't seem any more onerous than the usual garbage I go through
when I fly home from international travel. I agree that it's a dog-and-pony
show, but I'm not sure that it's so horrible that it, alone, is a reason for
avoiding the US (though I can think of other reasons just now). You do
know, don't you, that once you're in the US, there are no more security
checks if you're driving (except occassional checks on I-5 just north of San
Diego looking for illegal aliens).