Hungary or Romania?

Old March 3rd, 2005, 03:01 PM
AcornMan

Default Hungary or Romania?

I know it is difficult to compare two countries, but I have the chance
to visit Hungary or Romania next summer for two weeks and I need help
deciding which to choose. For people who have visited both, can you
give me an idea how how the two countries compare in terms of cost,
safety, things to do and see, friendliness of the people, and other
factors? Did you enjoy one country more than the other? If so, why?

If I visit Hungary I would most likely spend most of the time in
Dunavarsany or Csurgo and if I visit Romania I would be in Pitesti,
Commanesti, Beius, or Radauti. Any comments on those particular places
would also be helpful. Thank you.

Old March 3rd, 2005, 05:14 PM
GG

"AcornMan" wrote in message
oups.com...
I know it is difficult to compare two countries, but I have the chance
to visit Hungary or Romania next summer for two weeks and I need help
deciding which to choose. For people who have visited both, can you
give me an idea how how the two countries compare in terms of cost,
safety, things to do and see, friendliness of the people, and other
factors? Did you enjoy one country more than the other? If so, why?

I spent four weeks in Romania/Hungary in 2001, with 10 days in Transylvania,
and the rest in Hungary, mainly in Budapest. As far as cost goes, Romania
is cheaper. Hungary is still very cheap if you're staying away from
Budapest. A comfortable room in an inn in Jaszbereny cost about EUR 18 for
two people in 2001. Prices in Romania in similar size provincial towns are
comparable. A similar room in a similar hotel in Sighisoara (Hotel Poenita)
was about the same price. The current Lonely Planet guidebook for Romania
(2004) indicates that prices for accommodations and other tourist facilities
are much higher now (double or triple in some cases) than they were when I
was there.

As far as things to do and see, visiting Romania is like travelling a
century back in time. Shepherds still tend their flock up in the hills,
horses and buggies are still more commonly seen in the country than cars,
and you'll see very little farm machinery; working the soil by hand is still
the norm. Hungary, economically, is much closer to Western Europe, so you
won't see these kinds of things there. I very much enjoyed my stay in both
countries, but I found Romania to be more interesting, just because it is so
different.

If I visit Hungary I would most likely spend most of the time in
Dunavarsany or Csurgo and if I visit Romania I would be in Pitesti,
Commanesti, Beius, or Radauti. Any comments on those particular places
would also be helpful. Thank you.

Haven't been to any of the above so I can't comment.

GG

Old March 3rd, 2005, 10:00 PM
Deep Foiled Malls

On 3 Mar 2005 07:01:53 -0800, "AcornMan"
wrote:

I know it is difficult to compare two countries, but I have the chance
to visit Hungary or Romania next summer for two weeks and I need help
deciding which to choose. For people who have visited both, can you
give me an idea how how the two countries compare in terms of cost,
safety, things to do and see, friendliness of the people, and other
factors? Did you enjoy one country more than the other? If so, why?

I liked Hungary, but loved Romania. Romania is wilder, and much
further removed from anything else you will see in Europe.

Hungary doesn't have the dramatic scenery, and doesn't have the
out-of-this-world back-in-time feeling that Romania has, but it does
have the awesome capital of Budapest. Romania is definitely cheaper,
and it can be travelled in a VERY cheap manner if you want to stay
with the locals, which is perfectly ok. Safety is not an issue in
either country, although there are Roma and plenty of stray dogs in
Romania. The folks in both countries are friendly.

German will get you a long way in Hungary, and the latin based
languages will have you well set up in Romania.
--
---
DFM - http://www.deepfriedmars.com