Travelling in Morocco

Old June 22nd, 2004, 12:15 AM
Michelle

Default Travelling in Morocco

Hi,

Considering travelling to Morocco in 3 weeks for a few weeks. What is the
best way of travelling around the country, is the train or bus system any
good?

What are temperatures like, I hear rumours they can be unbearable in July?

What is accomodation like? Do you recommend any particular type?

Thanks

AT

Old June 22nd, 2004, 01:06 AM
Zeyd M. Ben-Halim

On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 00:15:45 +0100, Michelle wrote:

Hi,

Considering travelling to Morocco in 3 weeks for a few weeks. What is the
best way of travelling around the country, is the train or bus system any
good?

The train doesn't go everywhere, so it depends on where you want to go.
The trains are, the buses are likely to crowded, hot, and smokey (and bone
jarring if you go from Marrakesh to Ouarzazat)

What are temperatures like, I hear rumours they can be unbearable in July?

It WILL be hot. Just hotter in some places than others. The desert is
hotter but it's dry. The humidity on the coast is worse (IMHO). Stay
hydrated, wear a hat and avoid the middle of the day.

What is accomodation like? Do you recommend any particular type?

It ranges from 5-star to 0-star. Depends on what you can afford, and your
tolerance for various discomforts (noise, smells, cleanliness, etc).
People can recommend certain establishments if we knew which cities you'll
be at.

Zeyd
Old June 22nd, 2004, 03:10 AM
Greg Pankhurst

Zeyd M. Ben-Halim wrote:

On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 00:15:45 +0100, Michelle wrote:

Hi,

Considering travelling to Morocco in 3 weeks for a few weeks. What is the
best way of travelling around the country, is the train or bus system any
good?

My experiences with the train system was excellent. Cheap, clean, safe
and punctual.

We also had good experiences with Grand Taxis (big old Mercedes which
make the local hops from town to town). You have the added bonus of
having the option of hiring the taxi yourself and getting a bit of
comfort and room to stretch or saving cash and sharing. They can also
drop you right where you want rather than having to argue with Petit
Taxi drivers at the train/bus station.

Didn't use the buses, but the ones we saw were slow and overcrowded.

What are temperatures like, I hear rumours they can be unbearable in July?

Check the weather there via Yahoo.

What is accomodation like? Do you recommend any particular type?

It ranges from 5-star to 0-star. Depends on what you can afford, and your
tolerance for various discomforts (noise, smells, cleanliness, etc).
People can recommend certain establishments if we knew which cities you'll
be at.

What he said.

Cheers
Greg

Old June 26th, 2004, 02:35 PM
Blue Men of Morocco

all the answers sofar are accurate.
it you are traveling cheap, there are government buses- CTM plus another new
service- that travel basically at night and can take you all over Morocco.

After Marrakech, there are no train south or east or west..
it is hot except for the mountains.
But in the souks of the larger cities, you can be relatively cool.
Try to get an A/C hotel room.

the desert area is very hot. i know. shall go there for o2 days to get my
new residency card..
make sure buses are a/c if you use them.
taxis are not a/c as i recall.

Can rent cars with a/c....

good traveling...
E. Elena Hall, Co Director Blue Men of Morocco Co. Visit us in Morocco!
http://www.bluemenofmorocco.com