Our Trip to Paris - 02/09/04

Old September 9th, 2004, 12:00 AM
elise

Default Our Trip to Paris - 02/09/04

Paris

Day 3 - September 2 2004

Trippers - Colin and myself.

=20

I set my alarm today for 9.00 and then switched it off cos we were just =
sooo knackered. Anyway, eventually got up a tad earlier at 10.00 and =
after sorting out my hair and polyfilla-ing my face, we staggered =
(literally - remember 4 inch wedges and cobbles) up to the square where =
we found yet another patisserie, this time selling coffee and croissants =
to eat at little tables outside.

=20

Checked the faithful DK Top 10 guide and decided to visit the Jardin des =
Plantes as it was so close - literally down the hill and across a bit, =
so off we trundled down Rue Lacepede until we got to the gates. There is =
so much to see at this park - Natural history museum, botanical gardens, =
and a small zoo. We decided to have a look at the zoo, as it was only =
about ?4 each to go in. Apparently I was too OLD (fume) to use my =
student (ICIS) card - have to be 27 or under.=20

=20

They have a nice little selection of animals here, a reptile house with =
some lizards, Nile crocodiles and turtles in; a vivarium with really big =
snakes and hairy spiders (ick) and some lovely big cats. The snow =
leopards were gorgeous and they were so playful!!! No hippos, elephants =
or giraffes though, plenty of different types of deer, wild horses and =
yaks.

=20

Caf=E9 here was pretty naff so we gave that a miss and after the monkey =
house, we decided to head out to the river again. We walked along Quai =
St Bernard until we came to the beginning of the Boulevard St Germaine. =
We walked the whole length of this, only stopping briefly for lunch at a =
nice little bistro, appropriately named the Caf=E9 St Germaine right at =
the end of the Boulevard. I had the Assiette de Charcuterie and Col had =
Chicken and Chips (Poules et Frites), we shared a pichet of red, as this =
appeared to be more economical than ordering separate drinks. =20

=20

After lunch we carried on up to the Pont de la Concorde, where I finally =
dug out my camera and took some photos. Place de la Concorde looked a =
real nightmare for traffic!!!! We took a left here and strolled up the =
Cours la Reine and made the decision to walk up to the Eiffel Tower and =
get the Batobus back to the Jardin des Plantes. Ooooh boy - that was a =
looong walk!!! Past the Grand Palais, along the Avenue de New York (saw =
the memorial hijacked by Princess Di's supporters) and across the =
Passerelle Debilly, down the Quai Branly and finally up to the Eiffel, =
where I grabbed a bottle of vile Volvic Citron - I thought it would be =
pleasantly refreshing - gaaak!!!!=20

=20

I got the billets for the Batobus and this time managed to get my =
50-cent student discount - whoeey!!! Then we just sat o n the steps and =
waited for the next one to come along. Then we took 40 mins to sail =
slowly along what it had taken us 3 hours to walk!!!!! It was a nice =
view from the river though and we had a nice breeze blowing down on us. =
We got off at the Jardin des Plantes and slowly walked back up the hill =
to the Place de la Contrescarpe. We sat down in the sunshine and had a =
couple of nice cool beers. The bar was right next to the municipal =
cr=E8che so we could see all the Mums and Dads picking up their little =
ones after work - felt a little pang, thinking about Danny and Zach back =
home.

Went back to the hotel and had a little nap again, just for an hour and =
then woke up in time to ring Mum to see how the kids were getting on. =
Remembered to ring between 7 and 8 this time to get the 40p/min happy =
hour from Vodafone this time. Apparently Danny got stung by a wasp - on =
the ear as per usual - what is it with my boys, ears and wasps??? =20

=20

Got all dressed up again and redid the slap, we didn't go out until =
about 8.45 and it was chucking it down!!!! Luckily I had packed my mini =
brolly. We had a couple of drinks at the Tantra Caf=E9 again - had a =
different barman this time and my Banana Mama's were about 75% alcohol - =
phew!!!! As it was still happy hour, we decided to go to town and have =
2 drinks each this time!!!!

=20

The rain started to slow down so we braved the street again and found a =
lovely restaurant about halfway down Rue Mouffetard. We had decided =
earlier to try a Fondue and this place seemed to fit the bill. We sat =
outside - decently covered by an awning and perused the menu whilst =
watching the next downpour catch everyone unawares - hilarious!!! We =
went for a la carte menu this time. Col had Onion soup again and I went =
for the L'escargots. I polished off all 6 in record time and sat waiting =
for Col to try and finish his scorching hot soup while wishing I'd =
ordered 12 instead. Then came the fondue - yeay - great pot of bubbling =
oil and two enormous plates of prime beef - no fatty or gristly bits. We =
had special plates with all sorts of mayonaissey dressings and mustards =
on to dip our beef and frites into. Yummmm!!!!

Col had Sorbet and I had Cr=E8me Brulee (again) to finish along with =
titchy coffees. I think this came to around ?45-50 for the 2 of us with =
wine.

=20

Back up to the square for more drinks before back to the hotel for bed.

--=20
Elise
http://uk.photos.yahoo.com/elisebutt

Old September 9th, 2004, 12:09 AM
Mxsmanic

This would be a lot easier to read with an occasional newline character.

Old September 9th, 2004, 12:09 AM
Mxsmanic

This would be a lot easier to read with an occasional newline character.

Old September 9th, 2004, 12:17 PM
Miguel Cruz

Mxsmanic wrote:
This would be a lot easier to read with an occasional newline character.

There were extras between the paragraphs to make up for those missing within
them. Why force the reader to go by the poster's concept of iine width? It's
libertarian formatting, dude.

miguel
--
Hit The Road! Photos from 30 countries on 5 continents: http://travel.u.nu
Old September 9th, 2004, 08:19 PM
Mxsmanic

Miguel Cruz writes:

There were extras between the paragraphs to make up for those missing within
them. Why force the reader to go by the poster's concept of iine width? It's
libertarian formatting, dude.

You can do anything you want, as long as you don't care if anyone else
can read it. But it's hard to see the utility in posting to USENET if
you don't care whether or not others can read your post.

Old September 9th, 2004, 08:38 PM
Miguel Cruz

Mxsmanic wrote:
Miguel Cruz writes:
There were extras between the paragraphs to make up for those missing within
them. Why force the reader to go by the poster's concept of iine width? It's
libertarian formatting, dude.

You can do anything you want, as long as you don't care if anyone else
can read it. But it's hard to see the utility in posting to USENET if
you don't care whether or not others can read your post.

I agree with you. I just found it funny that they managed to convince
Outlook to bunch up all the newlines at the end of each paragraph.

miguel
--
Hit The Road! Photos from 30 countries on 5 continents: http://travel.u.nu

Old September 9th, 2004, 09:08 PM
Jimmy G

Forget the picky grumps, we LOVE your post.

Nobody said these have to be a work of grammatical and graphic artwork!

Just continue to be your beautiful self.

Old September 9th, 2004, 09:08 PM
Jimmy G