GPS unit recommendation?

Old April 3rd, 2011, 10:00 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
tim....

Default GPS unit recommendation?

"Martin" wrote in message
On Sat, 2 Apr 2011 13:50:23 +0100, "tim...."
wrote:

"Martin" wrote in message
. ..
On Sat, 2 Apr 2011 11:16:24 +0100, "tim...."
wrote:

The company that I used to work for "drew" their own maps and had a team
of
more than a dozen people continually doing this [1].

How could anyone stop them doing this and then selling them on (in this
case
bundled into their own electronic product)?

How many charts do you need to sell to break even doing that?

They're not selling the maps.

Having the map is a necessary part of selling the company's product range.

Some competing companies buy in their maps, this particular one produced
their own

Complete with depth soundings and buoys?

Was that a question?

The answer is yes

Old April 3rd, 2011, 03:31 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Erick T. Barkhuis[_3_]

Martin:

I've seen the Nokia 5230 with free Ovi-maps and a 2GB memory card
at Aldi-Süd in Germany for 129 Euro.

Doesn't have WLAN-features, though!

Was that recently? Nothing like that on offer in Lidl.nl ATM. I'll
watch out for it. (Lidl bargain hunter in ZH)

http://www.aldi-sued.de/de/html/offers/2827_23459.htm

That would be my pick, if I had to buy something
specifically for this trip.

You may remember that Mixi travels around Paris using only a GPS
receiver and the coordinates of the destination. No maps.

A GPS receiver without maps would be Garmin Etrex H, for around 70-80
Euro. It has no data cable, either, so you won't be importing GPX
files, for instance. I have used the Etrex H for 2 years, then switched
to Dakota-20. Worth every penny while geocaching, but not specifically
suitable for in-town pedestrian navigation.

--
Erick
Old April 3rd, 2011, 04:11 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
[email protected]

On 3 Apr 2011 05:54:05 GMT, "Erick T. Barkhuis"
wrote:

What are "nonstandard addresses"? Is there a standard for an address?

There are several established by international and national standards
bodies.

-- Larry
Old April 3rd, 2011, 04:38 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Erilar

Markku Grönroos wrote:
3.4.2011 8:50, Erick T. Barkhuis kirjoitti:

On "extended tours", you will probably either need a pile of disposable
batteries, OR one set of Eneloop batteries and a small charger.

To supply the charger you also need a wall with a socket. Possibly you
need an adapter between the socket and the plug. Possibly your charger
does not support geometry of the current at present.

I have a couple of plug adapters. None of my rechargeable toys need more
than that. I don't stay in places without electricity and running water in
Europe(and I haven't camped in my tent here in the US recently, for that
matter.) they take turns with the battery charger, which is considerably
lighter than a couple large packages of batteries, which neither my iPod
nor iPad use anyway.

And as for weight generally, i've spent as much as a month in Europe with
nothing but legal carry-on "luggage".

--
Erilar, biblioholic medievalist with iPad
Old April 3rd, 2011, 04:45 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Erilar

"Erick T. Barkhuis" wrote:
Martin:

I've seen the Nokia 5230 with free Ovi-maps and a 2GB memory card
at Aldi-SĂĽd in Germany for 129 Euro.

Doesn't have WLAN-features, though!

Was that recently? Nothing like that on offer in Lidl.nl ATM. I'll
watch out for it. (Lidl bargain hunter in ZH)

http://www.aldi-sued.de/de/html/offers/2827_23459.htm

That would be my pick, if I had to buy something
specifically for this trip.

You may remember that Mixi travels around Paris using only a GPS
receiver and the coordinates of the destination. No maps.

A GPS receiver without maps would be Garmin Etrex H, for around 70-80
Euro. It has no data cable, either, so you won't be importing GPX
files, for instance. I have used the Etrex H for 2 years, then switched
to Dakota-20. Worth every penny while geocaching, but not specifically
suitable for in-town pedestrian navigation.

Sounds like mine, which cost something around $110. It works for me in
towns, because even when it loses its satellite fix in narrow streets, all
I need is an open space to get one, and it remembers where I started, which
is usually a bus stop, train station, or hotel, as well as points I may
have marked along the way.

--
Erilar, biblioholic medievalist with iPad
Old April 3rd, 2011, 04:49 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Erilar

Martin wrote:
On Sun, 3 Apr 2011 15:38:36 +0000 (UTC), Erilar
wrote:

Markku Grönroos wrote:
[...]

That was in the days before you squandered your pocket money on toys
like iPads, iPods etc.

Well, my carry-on for the next flight will be even lighter and smaller, and
both are going along, as well as my camera and GPS unit, the etrex. It
will be a shorter trip, but I won't be taking fewer clothes, just less
paper -- all the paper stuff is now on the iPad 8-)
--
Erilar, biblioholic medievalist with iPad
Old April 3rd, 2011, 08:05 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
[email protected]

On Sun, 03 Apr 2011 17:34:27 +0200, Martin wrote:

-- Larry

There is also a convention for sig.s :-)

Try

--spacespace
Larry

I know that; I've been around USEnet for longer than just about anyone
left. I just don't care about sigs, since pretty much no automated use
is made of them any more. That's how I physically sign things without
a closing, so that's how I do it on a keyboard.

-- Larry
Old April 3rd, 2011, 08:07 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
[email protected]

On 03 Apr 2011 15:27:25 GMT, Bert Hyman wrote:

What are "nonstandard addresses"? Is there a standard for an address?

There are several established by international and national standards
bodies.

Several standards?

Yes, isued by different standards bodies for different contexts. E.g.,
general publishing, patents and trademarks, passports.

-- Larry