Restaurant Recommendations San Juan

Old November 6th, 2006, 02:21 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Bill[_4_]

Default Restaurant Recommendations San Juan

Barbara and I are going to San Juan this Wednesday - Sunday for a little
get-a way -- we're going to stay at the Intercontinental Hotel in Isla
Verde -- sounds good, but pool area is closed for renovations (can't wait to
tell her !!) ---Any recommendations for breakfast / lunch / dinner ??--
should be a good time, but hate to miss out on any great spots -- While I'm
sure the food is great, I'd like to avoid restaurants that I could do here
in the States (e.g. seems silly to go to Ruth's Chris Steak House at the
Hotel in San Juan, when I could do the restaurant at the Hilton in
Parsippany, New Jersey) -- looking for some restaurants with a little local
flavor -- ignore the pun --- lol-- Any help would be appreciated.

Bill W.

Old November 6th, 2006, 03:00 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
gayle in atlanta

Bill -- It's been a few years, but the best place (imho) used to be the
Parrot Club in Old San Juan. "Nuevo Latino" cuisine, everything very
fresh, perfectly prepared and beautifully presented, not to mention
delicious. Atmosphere was dress-to-impress-casual. Maybe someone
who's been there recently could say if they're still there and still as
good.

Old November 6th, 2006, 03:18 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Tom K

La Casona in the business district is generally considered one of the best
(if not the best) restaurant in the Caribbean....

http://www.lacasonapr.com/

When we traveled to PR a lot on business we'd always look forward to an
opportunity to eat there. Don't take the car. Take a taxi. Not much
parking. And have them call you a cab when you're ready to leave.

---

If you wanted to wander around the island a bit... (read take a LONG ride),
my favorite restaurant in the whole world is The Horned Dorsett Primavera in
Rincon. It's about a 2 hour ride though - on the west coast. It's the same
Rincon the Beach Boys sang about in the 60's. They have the most fantastic
coconut banana drink that you can get and drink it out on the veranda. It's
part of an ultra elegant mini hotel (2 level suites with circular steel
staircases between floors). Brass bath tubs. The dining room has a black
and white marble floor, right out of a Vermeer painting.

http://www.horneddorset.com/

Only downside is the LONG ride, and the difficulty in finding the place.

Both of these are very high end places.

If you wanted something you won't get back home... these are at the top of
the list in Puerto Rico. Even if you don't eat at either, check out the web
pages.

--Tom

Old November 6th, 2006, 04:26 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
ghostship

Bill wrote:
Any recommendations for breakfast / lunch / dinner ??--
should be a good time, but hate to miss out on any great spots snip
looking for some restaurants with a little local flavor

An old favorite, El Patio de Sam, Old Town. Great lunch spot, also
good for nightlife/music after 10/11.

g. ship

Old November 6th, 2006, 02:17 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
LeeNY

gayle in atlanta wrote:
Bill -- It's been a few years, but the best place (imho) used to be the
Parrot Club in Old San Juan. "Nuevo Latino" cuisine, everything very
fresh, perfectly prepared and beautifully presented, not to mention
delicious. Atmosphere was dress-to-impress-casual. Maybe someone
who's been there recently could say if they're still there and still as
good.

I second this suggestion...provided it's maintained its quality over
the years. It's been a while since I've been there, but the meal was
exceptional back then - one of the best meals I've ever had.

Lee

Old November 8th, 2006, 02:09 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Bill[_4_]

Tom,

Looks like you could blow through a couple hundred bucks for dinner if you
have some decent wine (wish I was on an expense account !!) -- we're not
going to rent a car -- be cabbing/busing around-- (kind of fun taking a bus
for $.25 ) -- have to check my wallet at the end of the trip -- looks like
a memorable place. We may do it
Bill

Old November 8th, 2006, 11:55 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Tom K

It won't be any more expensive than Ruth's Chris.

And it sure ain't the Parsippany Hilton...

Too bad you won't be on the west coast to try the Horned Dorsett. That's
the more memorable place. And the directions are amazing... you turn left
after the junk car (assuming it's still there).

--Tom