Good time of year for Yosemite / good park for late July or early August?

Old October 4th, 2003, 04:24 AM

Default Good time of year for Yosemite / good park for late July or early August?

In article ,
Charles Kozierok wrote:

After just doing an insane 7-hour visit to Yosemite I *need* to go back.

Years ago on Memorial day a friend and I drove to Baldy Village
(So. Calif.) to do a hike. We need a permit and the ranger
station was only open on weekends (shouldn't a holiday qualify).
We decided to head up to Long Pine, but on the way we saw a sign
that said "Tioga Pass: Open". Shaking our heads and muttering
about it being a long day we drove to Yosemite. My friend dropped
me off at a trailhead on the Tioga road. I had to climb a snow
bank to get on the trail and it was "interesting" trying to
follow the old license plates nailed to tree while tripping on
sun cups. I made it to the Valley and then to the Village (about
12 miles of walking), met my friend and then we drove home to
Orange County.

I slept quite well that night after one incredible day.

--
http://yosemitenews.info/
Old October 4th, 2003, 04:29 AM

In article ,
Icono Clast wrote:

I once pitched a tent in the campground on the other side of Tuolomne
Pass at about 8,000 (maybe 8,300) feet. The stars were so bright that
I could see them through the fabric of the tent. It was _cold_! 33°F!

I have a similar memory though it was at upper Cathedral Lake. Getting
out of the bag and tent at 3am to water a tree was quite "invigorating"
but worth it for the blazing stars and a very bright Mars.

--
http://yosemitenews.info/
Old October 4th, 2003, 07:23 AM

In article ,
Icono Clast wrote:
I once pitched a tent in the campground on the other side of Tuolomne
Pass at about 8,000 (maybe 8,300) feet. The stars were so bright that
I could see them through the fabric of the tent. It was _cold_! 33°F!

In my experience, the high Sierra gets down to below freezing in the
morning almost every day of the year. If you sleep out under the stars,
expect frost on your sleeping bag in the morning.