Fast Ferry Rochester Toronto BBS & Chat

Old October 30th, 2003, 12:14 AM
Dave Hitt

Default Fast Ferry Rochester Toronto BBS & Chat

On Mon, 27 Oct 2003 03:10:20 GMT, (RocPic.Com)
wrote:

In article ,
says...

On Sat, 25 Oct 2003 14:54:28 GMT, "Andy Bryce"
wrote:

"Dave Hitt" wrote in message
I disagree. Yes, people will put up with a lot of ugly if the content
is amazingly good, but that is the exception to the rule. And there's
*no* excuse for having a site as ugly as *that* one.

Of course there is. Maybe he's too busy putting together content that people
want to see and doesn't have the time to spend beautifying it.

Not from what I saw. The content isn't anything special.

The content may not be special to you, but then what interest do you have
in web cams? For those interested in Rochester web cams, or for that matter
weather web cams, I doubt you can point me to many places that offer better,
and if they do I either am or will be on that same list.

I didn't say it was a *bad* site, just that it's butt ugly.

Looks matter, baby, on line and everywhere. If a site is ugly and
sloppy and amateurish, 99% of the time the content is crap too,

The site was designed without design in mind...

Obviously

While it has been said in this thread that baby Jesus would cry from viewing my
site... well thats some bodies opinion.

That is the opinion of *one of your visitors.* Respect it. Learn
from it.

A review of my guest book will show
more than a couple of entries of people moved to tears from the memories my
photos bring to them. That's a FACT that you can't change.

and
knowing that, people just ignore it and move on to the next thing.
Them's the facts, jack. You can argue about it all you want, but it
won't change the facts.

I see the last time you updated your site was August 1st of 2003. If I took
40 or 50 days to work on the design of my site I might have a nicer look.
Instead, I started with 1 web cam in 1999 and the goal of getting it online,
and it just keeps snowballing to the three web cams I have now, plus a 14 month
old photo blog, plus photo coverage of 3 years of Rochester events, I recently
added a video download page... who else offers this much content?

My site is one of my toys, and I'll be back to playing with it soon.
Say what you will, but it ain't ugly. It's not cutting edge design,
either, but I get e-mail about something on it nearly every day.
People write to me about the content - they love it or hate it - but
no one has ever said the site was ugly.

My earlier attempts weren't all that pretty either. If you look at
some of the earlier articles, you'll see that I used a background that
was a little distracting (but not as trite and ugly as yours) and my
graphics skills were pretty mediocre. The difference between you and
me is that I learned over time, and applied what I learned to make the
site look better.

As far as content is concerned, I've got plenty of that too. Go to
Google and type in "second hand smoke." You'll see my site in the
number TWO position on the first page - above the EPA, the CDC, The
Lung Association, the Heart Association and all but one anit-smoker
site. You can't buy rankings there - they come from other people
linking to you because you have valuable content. And The Facts,
which is a sub site on my web server, isn't going to win any design
awards - the design is simple and straight forward for a reason.

But it's not ugly!

I will not deny that the look and layout of my site needs work... but the
stats from my site, the entries in my guest book, the e-mails I get, assure me
that I am on the right path as I am not blinded by the blinkers others wear

Fine. I'm done with you. You're just one more horribly butt ugly site
on the net. If you ever take the advice that's been offered to you
here, and learn something, you'll find your hit counters and guest
book will improve dramatically. But fine, just keep it ugly, and keep
fooling yourself into thinking that it doesn't make any difference.

---
Don't settle for watching Improv on TV. See it live, and join in the fun!
http://www.insertsomethingfunny.com/index.php
Old October 30th, 2003, 12:20 AM
Dave Hitt

On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 14:09:42 GMT, "Andy Bryce"
wrote:

"Dave Hitt" wrote in message
.. .
Look matter, baby, on line and everywhere. If a site is ugly and
sloppy and amateurish, 99% of the time the content is crap too, and
knowing that, people just ignore it and move on to the next thing.

Oh yeah, Well his site seems far less ignored than yours. Many people have
commented on it here and obviously spent a lot of time looking at it. Hardly
anyone seems to have mentioned your site. It just doesn't grab the
attention. I guess most people take a quick look and think. "Oh just another
guy shilling for the tobacco companies. Seen it all before. Nothing unique
and original here."

Talk about unoriginal! Anyone who presents information that defies
the nannies scam on SHS must be paid for by the tobacco companies.

Write again when you can think for yourself, boy. When that happens,
visit The Facts again, and you just might learn something.

That site is paid for out of my own pocket - web hosting is cheap.
The only thing I've ever received from any tobacco company was a
t-shirt, about ten years ago, but I had to send in a stack of
cigarette bar codes to get it. It had a picture of a cowboy on it.

As for being ignored, I'll again repeat (OK, Brag) that it is the #2
site, out of 1.2 million pages, on Google, on the subject of second
hand smoke.
---
Old October 30th, 2003, 12:23 PM
RocPic.Com

snip

"Dave Hitt" wrote in message
. ..
Look matter, baby, on line and everywhere. If a site is ugly and
sloppy and amateurish, 99% of the time the content is crap too, and
knowing that, people just ignore it and move on to the next thing.

As for being ignored, I'll again repeat (OK, Brag) that it is the #2
site, out of 1.2 million pages, on Google, on the subject of second
hand smoke.

eos

And I am Xerox

http://www.google.com/search?num=50&...1&newwindow=1&
safe=off&q=xerox+rochester+ny

I am House of Guitars

http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...+guitars+roche
ster+ny

Photos, Rochester NY, Im #1

http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...s+rochester+ny

Lilac Festival Rochester NY, well Im not #1, just 3, 4, AND 5....

Park Avenue Festival Rochester NY #3
Park Ave Festival Rochester NY #5

http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...+festival+roch
ester+ny

Cobbs Hill Rochester NY #3 & #6

Go ahead, look up Rochester, I got a million of them, and growing...

At the moment Im in the process of putting the final touches of moving 6
sites into 1, Google has not done a complete job of indexing the new
location yet, and I have slipped in the rankings....

Seriously, I've lost much of my good standing with Google due to my
recent move and a loss of all the people who linked to my old site.

As far as changing the look of my site, well I've already made a few
changes based on the feedback I get.

While I love and appreciate the tremendous amout of positive feedback I
get about my site, I DO value and act on the negative comments also.

Ultimatey I intend to create a thumbnailed index to the photo shoots on
my site.

All I can figure is that the people who do spend large amounts of time
visiting my site, must be so happy to find WHAT they were looking for
that they would feel bad about ripping on my style.

Enjoy

ron_m
http://rocpic.com
Rochester NY Weather Web Cams, Photos, Videos, Radio, News, Chat, etc

Old November 2nd, 2003, 06:38 PM
Defender of Enormous Manhood

Your site is not very ethsetic. Iwould go are far to say your sight is
unappealing. Mabe not ugly.
But it certainly is amatuerish. It is of no great interest. The content
sucks.

I think that you should take your own advice, and hire somebody to fix your
toy, make it appealing to others.
Or just admit, your site is a ****ty as most crappy websites. Just because
it's yours, doesn't make it good.
And while it might not be butt ugly, it sure does suck. So stop deluding
yourself. Please!

You only come off as a fool defending it!

"Dave Hitt" wrote in message

Fine. I'm done with you. You're just one more horribly butt ugly site
on the net. If you ever take the advice that's been offered to you
here, and learn something, you'll find your hit counters and guest
book will improve dramatically. But fine, just keep it ugly, and keep
fooling yourself into thinking that it doesn't make any difference.

Agreed. But look at your site, then apply your own advice.
It's ugly too! And boring to boot! And childish in a few ways!

Old November 2nd, 2003, 06:47 PM

"Dave Hitt" wrote in message

As for being ignored, I'll again repeat (OK, Brag) that it is the #2
site, out of 1.2 million pages, on Google, on the subject of second
hand smoke.

That's bull****!
I did a Google Search on "Second hand smoke" and it's number one listed out
of 119,000 sites.
Yopu likely didn't put the search string in quotes, so you get 1.4 million
that are about second and about hand and about smoke too!

Of course, all that means is you are skilled at embedding keywords and
search engine submissions.
Being listed first, will increase hits, but number of hits does not reflect
position in Google.

I will bet that even the Canadain Cancer Socoiety gets more traffic from
people looking for information on Second hand smoke in one day, than your
total hits. And then their is the American Cancer Society. See a lot of
people know where to go for authoratative information - not second hand
information on second hand smoke.

But brag all you want, your site is still ugly and unappealing. Maybe it's
just the content that is ugly and unappealing?

Old December 4th, 2003, 10:03 PM
mga

as a rochester resident. i have to ask why would any canadians want to
come here? we have a high crime rate, and soon we will have higher
sales tax....will be close to 9%...so, why even come here to shop?
buffalo has ten times the number of stores.

if you visit downtown after dark, chances are you'll get mugged. even
the residents don't go downtown after 5pm...why would some naive
canadian? the port of charlotte is dirty, it smells of kodak sewage and
it only offers low class bars. toronto has much more to offer.

we have terrible bus service, terrible roads..either they have pot
holes or are being 'worked" on constantly. downtoen direct can only
offer a few bars and some restaraunts...big deal.

it's rochester's Spuce Goose...all that money for what? if they ever
took a real poll, i think most people in rochester would have spoken
out against the ferry. it's another example of politicains with too
much money, too many friends, and not enough sense to care.

--
mga
mga's Profile: 78