San Diego to San Francisco

Old January 3rd, 2006, 09:41 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

Default San Diego to San Francisco

Now, a short travel report:
2/12 - Friday - Arrived to Phoenix at 18:00 after being awake for 22
hours, handling two kids that had slept only o couple of hours in
total. That evening we were all quite tired.

3-6/12 - Saturday-Tuesday - Stayed at my friend's place in Phoenix.
Went for a couple of short hikes. Did some shopping. Visited the Heard
Museum. Very nice weather

7/12 - Wednesday - Our kids were looked after by our friend, so me and
my wife drove up to Grand Canyon via Sedona and Oak Tree Creek. Do I
have to mention that the canyon is fantastic?

8/12 - Thursday - Installed the new cars seats (from Walmart, $100
together) in the rented Chevrolet Malibu, and drove to San Diego area.
Stayed in Carlsbad for three nights.

9/12 - Friday - Seaworld in the morning. Sunny day, above 20C (68F),
and almost no visitors! We could let the girls wonder around very
freely, looking at all those dolphins, icebears and other creatures.
The Shamu show was indeed spectacular!
In the afternoon, we visited Cabrillo point to get a view of the city.

10/12 - Saturday - Wild Animal Park and the train ride round the park.
Nice park, even if I didn't got used to the constant christmas songs,
sounding from every bush that we passed. Don't get me wrong, I really
love well managed animal parks, but having been to a safari in Kenya
(Lake Nakuru and Masai Mara) I strongly recommend everyone that loves
wild life and have the opportunity to take the trip to Africa, to do
so.
After the park we drove to Coronado Island to take a swim in the
pacific. Chilly but not too cold.
When we were there at the beach, we saw some whales or dolphins, only
50-100 meters out in the water. Due to the size, movements, colour and
shape I think they looked like pilot whales, but I don't think they
appear here? Anyone who knows what it could have been?

11/12 - Sunday - Drove from Carlsbad (10:00) to Morro Bay (just before
sunset). Stopped for lunch just after Ventura. Turned in to Solvang for
a "vinebröd". Took the I405 west of Los Angeles. Traffic were not so
bad at all. All went very smooth. Nice and sunny.

12/12 - Monday - Cruised from Morro Bay to Monterey. Very clear sky.
Stopped at Piedras Blancas for a small lunch break when enjoying the
sea elephants. Took a short hike in Julia Pfeiffer State Park.
Did a very fast (bored kids...) 17-mile drive.

13/12 - Tuesday - Monteray Bay Aquarium. A highlight! Do visit this
place if you have opportunity to do so.
Took highway 1 up to San Francisco.

14/12 - Wednesday - Cable car, Union Square, Fisherman's wharf. Nice to
not be in the car... And, nice weather.

15/12 - Thursday - Muir woods in the late morning. The low sun flared
along the small valley, between the trees, gave a very mysterious
feeling to the place. Stunning!
Drove through Sonoma valley to look at the surroundings and stayed in
Sonoma to let the kids play for a while in the playground.

17/12 - Friday - First day with the sun not visible! Took a walk in
Golden Gate Park. It where quite cold, after been used to that nice
weather all the journey.
Took the car up to Twin Peaks. Went to Oakland, only to get caught in
traffic...

17/12 - Saturday - Had spoked to the SF International airport before we
left home, about leaving the car seats. No problem, they were expecting
me.

A nice trip with a lot of wildlife/nature and a little bit of shopping.
Thank you all for your advices.

/Johan

Old January 3rd, 2006, 09:00 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

Johann -

Good to hear from you . Sounds like the trip went well and the information
tendered you was not too far off base. You did miss all the wetness we are
currently experiencing...good timing on your part. Hope the new year is
good to you and your family.

PS...advance thanks is nice, but it does not really - really - reflect how
good/bad/indifferent the tendered information turned out to be in your
experience. I daresay that your short trip report and thanks goes far -
for me at least - to be willing to offer information to the next person.

"flygis" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi Lawrence, and the rest of you!

I'm sorry that I have not been able to write a travel report yet. Even
more sorry what you think about me.
I feel that I have no obligation to defend myself. But, returning from
the US just before christmas (with all that comes with it),
acclimatiazation period for my kids to day nursery, the hole family
getting a cold, start over my work since being home with my kids for
the last five months, and not having physical access to my computer: I
have not had the opportunity to write the report.
Lawrence, if you read my earlier posts you can see that I was thankful
when I got info from you and others. But a thank you in advance maybe
doesn't count?

Old January 4th, 2006, 12:13 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

flygis wrote:
[...]

Thank you for this nice report! Sounds like you had a lot of fun. Good
thing you left before the torrential rains started!!