Fat Slobs Should Pay Extra

Old August 6th, 2008, 06:54 AM posted to rec.travel.marketplace,rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.usa-canada,rec.travel.air
mrtravel[_2_]

Default Fat Slobs Should Pay Extra

Larry in AZ wrote:
Waiving the right to remain silent, mrtravel said:

Larry in AZ wrote:

Waiving the right to remain silent, (John Kulp)
said:

On Mon, 04 Aug 2008 20:32:06 GMT, Larry in AZ
wrote:

Waiving the right to remain silent, "EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)"
said:

That, too, but they have CERTAINLY narrowed them considerably since I
first traveled by air! There used to be two seats on either side of
a fairly wide aisle, then it became three on one side, two on the
other, then three and three.... now it's half a dozen in the middle,
PLUS three and three. (And it used to be possible to walk past the
flight attendants' service cart to access a lavatory, without them
having to move the cart to an alcove to allow passage.) True, planes
have gotten bigger and wider, but not enough larger to allow for the
number of passengers they try to squeeze into "coach". (Even First
Class is not nearly so spacious as it once was.)

Agreed. I can remember when you could exit from a coach window seat
without everyone else needing to get completely out of their seats for
you to get by.

And the seats and arm rests were wider as well.

Remember what fares you paid in today's dollars too?

Cars are also much more expensive. So are homes.

The average home is bigger.

Cars are smaller.

But have more features that the older ones.
Old August 6th, 2008, 07:55 AM posted to rec.travel.marketplace,rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.usa-canada,rec.travel.air
Calif Bill

"mrtravel" wrote in message
. ..

said:

[...]

My 1955 Chevy convertible was not much difference in size than a lot of the
new cars. Probably smaller than a lot of the Lexus / MB models.

Old August 6th, 2008, 08:16 AM posted to rec.travel.marketplace,rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.usa-canada,rec.travel.air
David Horne, _the_ chancellor[_2_]

EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) wrote:

yeadeagisss wrote:
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) wrote:

David Horne, _the_ chancellor (*) wrote:

[]
What aircraft have you actually flown on with that configuration?

How should I know? I choose them by their destination, not their
model-numbers.

If you refuse to deal in facts, that's your problem. Not understanding
the significant differences in major airplane models and their interior
layouts is one manifestation of that refusal.

Really? I don't know why YOU travel, but I do so to reach particular
destinations to attend particular scheduled events. Consequently, the
"when" and "where" is important to me, the make and model of the
aircraft that carries me there is not.

--
(*) of the royal duchy of city south and deansgate -www.davidhorne.net
(email address on website) "If people think God is interesting, the
Old August 6th, 2008, 10:29 PM posted to rec.travel.marketplace,rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.usa-canada,rec.travel.air
yeadeagisss

yeadeagisss wrote:

EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) wrote:

David Horne, _the_ chancellor (*) wrote:

EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) wrote:

There used to be two seats on either side of a fairly wide aisle,
then it became three on one side, two on the other,
then three and three.... now it's half a dozen in the middle, PLUS
three
and three.

What aircraft have you actually flown on with that configuration?

How should I know? I choose them by their destination, not their
model-numbers.

If you refuse to deal in facts, that's your problem. Not understanding
the significant differences in major airplane models and their interior
layouts is one manifestation of that refusal.

Really? I don't know why YOU travel,

S'okay. I don't know why you pointlessly capitalize words as if you're
yelling, but there you are.

but I do so to reach particular
destinations to attend particular scheduled events.

The conveyance that gets me there is part of the trip. It's a simple
safety practice to familiarize one's self with the configuration of
the aircraft that gets one there.

Also, it prevents one from looking like an idiot when one makes specious
claims about seating configurations of different kinds of aircraft. You
made a claim about that (see quoted bit above), but when questioned
about, you did your usual flailing about, in that bloviating way of
showing that you really didn't know what you're talking about. You do
this often. Why is that?

Consequently, the
"when" and "where" is important to me, the make and model of the
aircraft that carries me there is not.

Sucks to be you. But since you won't be on any of my flights
to Europe in the near future, it's a moot point.
Old August 13th, 2008, 07:01 PM posted to rec.travel.marketplace,rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.usa-canada,rec.travel.air
Timothy J. Lee

Larry in AZ wrote:
Cars are also much more expensive. So are homes.

The average home is bigger.

Cars are smaller.

Actually, after adjusting for inflation, cars have not gotten more
expensive.

1988: $10,000 bought a new Honda Civic
2008: $18,000 buys a new Honda Civic

Note that CPI inflation between those two years causes $10,000 in 1988
dollars to be about $18,000 in 2008 dollars.

And the 2008 Honda Civic is somewhat larger, and better in most ways,
than the 1988 Honda Civic.

Timothy J. Lee
Old August 14th, 2008, 12:18 AM posted to rec.travel.marketplace,rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.usa-canada,rec.travel.air
SMS

Timothy J. Lee wrote:

Actually, after adjusting for inflation, cars have not gotten more
expensive.

1988: $10,000 bought a new Honda Civic
2008: $18,000 buys a new Honda Civic

Here's another comparison:

1996 Toyota Camry LE AT: MSRP: $20728, Street Price: $17,000-17,500.
2009 Toyota Camry LE AT: MSRP: $22145, Street Price: $19,000-19,500.

$2000 higher street price in 13 years, but the 2009 includes a lot more
standard equipment, including ABS, TPMS, & RKE, all of which were
options (or not available) in 1996. Plus the 2009 has a lot more air
bags, a larger engine, a larger body, and better fuel economy. Adjusting
for inflation, cars have gotten _less_ expensive in the U.S..

I'm comparing prices in California (the 1996 is based on what we paid,
actually $16,988). The 2009 higher number is based on CarsDirect (which
is usually about $500 more than what you can get the vehicle for yourself).