ID at check-in

Old October 6th, 2008, 03:43 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
pltrgyst[_2_]

Default ID at check-in

On Mon, 06 Oct 2008 03:26:34 -0400, Brian K wrote:

In order to print your boarding pass at Northwest or Continental you
have to swipe your Drivers License or your passport. This is the case at
Newark Liberty International Airport, Newark NJ and Lindbergh
International Airport in Minneapolis - St. Paul, MN....

At DCA and IAD, you can print a boarding pass for those two airlines (and
others) by swiping a credit card.

-- Larry
Old October 6th, 2008, 04:18 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Hatunen

On Mon, 06 Oct 2008 03:21:04 -0400, Brian K
wrote:

On 10/3/2008 12:46 PM Jim Davis did a "happy dance", then made these
writings:
"Hatunen" wrote in message

On Fri, 3 Oct 2008 10:04:24 +0100, "topof"
wrote:

And if your credit card was stolen and used youd be the first one to
complain that no one asked for ID when the purchases were made!!

Nonsense. When an American credit card is stolen you, the
cardholder , are not responsible for any charges run up by the
thief.

My wallet got lifted on the Paris Metro ten years ago. The
thieves used my credit card to run up about $600 in purchases,
but I was not responsible for any of it.

You're 100% right, but it's the principal of it all. My wife's CC's were
stolen and thousands of $$ were rung up. We were covered, but I'm ****ed
that the person got away with it.
And to top it all off, the charges were local, and no ID was checked at any
of the stores. Radio Shack was the largest at $4,000.00, and they never
asked for ID.

Actually, if you check your contract you're responsible for charges
until the time you report the CC lost or stolen. That's why it's so
critical to report the loss of a credit card immediately! There are
exceptions to this policy as some of you may find. On my Discovercard
and VISA both contracts support my claim.

I believe that you are only responsible for a maximum of $200 if
you fail to report the loss within two days. If you report the
loss immediately you are only liable for $50.

Old October 7th, 2008, 12:27 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
CarrieRocks

But she didn't say credit card number, she said drivers license
number... that is very strange! Keep a close eye on your accounts, and
I would even call the manager of the hotel for confirmation about what
you were told - I've never known a hotel to take down a drivers license
number.

--
CarrieRocks
Message Origin: TRAVEL.com

Old October 7th, 2008, 07:40 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Graz[_2_]

On Fri, 03 Oct 2008 23:01:16 -0600, DevilsPGD
wrote:

In message
(Graz) was claimed to have wrote:

On Fri, 03 Oct 2008 20:03:10 -0500, AZ Nomad
wrote:

On Fri, 03 Oct 2008 20:32:22 -0400, Marsha wrote:
AZ Nomad wrote:
On Thu, 02 Oct 2008 23:50:58 -0400, pltrgyst wrote:
I've never had an airline copy information from my driver's license, or ask for
it when selling me a ticket or issuing a boarding pass. And that includes United
and Southwest among them.

Checking ID before issueing a boarding pass is universal.
That includes all the airlines.

No ID is required before issueing a boarding pass. I always print it at
home within 24 hours of my flight. Now if you're talking about getting
through security without ID and a boarding pass, that's another thing.

You don't think identification is checked over the web?
Anybody can just waltz onto the airline's site, say they're you and
print a boarding pass so they can take your place on the flight?

The name on the ID won't match the name on the boarding pass, then.

Trivially bypassed. Print your boarding pass at home, then print a
second that looks the same, but replace the name with the actual
traveler.

When dealing with the airline, use the real one, when dealing with the
gov't, use the fake one.

Unless the real one is stamped by the airline before you proceed to
the securtity check.

The only way to fix this is to have the TSA compare the presented
identification to the airline's records (not the boarding pass or other
documentation presented by the flyer), or for the airline to check ID at
the gate.

Routine procedure at JFK, LHR and elsewhere.

While I've certainly seen some airlines checking at the gate, they
rarely also compare the name that shows up when they scan the boarding
pass against the name on your ID, at best they compare the names on the
boarding pass with that which is on the ID, all you have to do is stand
back (don't preboard, and if you're in the first group, make a point to
be at the end of the line) and watch what the gate staff is doing.

And what do you do if rumbled? Make a hasty retreat?