Why do people sleep in airports? I always see these people on the news...

Old June 17th, 2007, 01:21 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
J. Clarke[_2_]

Default Why do people sleep in airports? I always see these people on the news...

DevilsPGD wrote:
In message "J. Clarke"
wrote:

Toller wrote:
"rst" wrote in message
oups.com...
Why not just go to a hotel if your flight is canceled- and just fly
the next day?

Fly the next day hell! Why not charter a jet that day since money
doesn't seem to be an issue for you.

Well, chartering a jet costs a great deal more than a room in a
Motel 6. Anybody who doesn't have a hundred bucks cushion in his
travel budget isn't doing a very good job of contingency planning.

Depending on location, perhaps, $100 won't get you far. Most
near-large-airport hotels charge well over $100, especially on short
notice, plus you need to factor in transportation to/from the airport
as well.

Motel 6 O'Hare is $50.39 a night, tonight. BWI 53.99. LAX 59.39. If
you're stuck in NYC then you may be screwed.

Cab fare shouldn't be 50 bucks.

Worse, if you only have 5-6 hours until you need to be back at the
airport, you'll spend most of it finding a hotel, traveling, checking
in, etc, whereas a bit of sleep at the airport may well be more
restful then the above.

It takes you 6 hours to plug a couple of web sites and take a taxi ride?

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Old June 17th, 2007, 01:40 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
J. Clarke[_2_]

Icono Clast wrote:
Troll feeding:

rst wrote:
Why not just go to a hotel if your flight is canceled- and just
fly the next day?

If I don't get on my 22:30 flight and the next one is at 07:30, I've
not the time to find a place to stay so I sleep on the airport's
floor. No big deal.

J. Clarke wrote:
Toller wrote:
Fly the next day hell! Why not charter a jet that day since
money doesn't seem to be an issue for you.

Well, chartering a jet costs a great deal more than a room

Is there a motel anywhere near JFK, for example, or Dulles?

Of course there are. Not cheap ones near those two but they are
atypical. BWI has a Motel 6 nearby, so does Newark.

But even if you end up at the Plaza, it's an order of magnitude cheaper
than chartering a jet.

Of course if flights are cancelled due to weather, the charter plane
can't get out either.

Anybody who doesn't have a hundred bucks cushion in his travel
budget

A hundred bucks? Perhaps, plus a taxi to and from hotel getting at a
location you have no idea where is or whether there's a room
available.

In 1876 Alexander Graham Bell invented a device called the "telephone".
Perhaps you might want to familiarize yourself with it.

isn't doing a very good job of contingency planning.

I do. I check everything so I don't have to carry anything thus
giving me the same freedom of movement I have at home.

Including your cell phone and credit cards apparently,.

Old June 17th, 2007, 03:11 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Bert Hyman

In "J. Clarke"
wrote:

Cab fare shouldn't be 50 bucks.

Depends on where the airport is, doesn't it?

--
Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN
Old June 17th, 2007, 04:01 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Dave Smith[_2_]

rst wrote:

Why not just go to a hotel if your flight is canceled- and just fly
the next day?

Not everyone travelling by air is doing so on an expense account or luxury
vacation, A lot of them are flying out of necessity and just don't have the
funds to spend on a handy hotel, many of which are quite expensive.
Besides, their layovers may just be a few hours and they are probably
exhausted enough that they just need a short nap. I have seen lots of
people asleep in airports, but I never timed them.
Old June 17th, 2007, 04:08 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
DevilsPGD

In message "J. Clarke"
wrote:

DevilsPGD wrote:
In message "J. Clarke"
wrote:

Toller wrote:
"rst" wrote in message
oups.com...
Why not just go to a hotel if your flight is canceled- and just fly
the next day?

Fly the next day hell! Why not charter a jet that day since money
doesn't seem to be an issue for you.

Well, chartering a jet costs a great deal more than a room in a
Motel 6. Anybody who doesn't have a hundred bucks cushion in his
travel budget isn't doing a very good job of contingency planning.

Depending on location, perhaps, $100 won't get you far. Most
near-large-airport hotels charge well over $100, especially on short
notice, plus you need to factor in transportation to/from the airport
as well.

Motel 6 O'Hare is $50.39 a night, tonight. BWI 53.99. LAX 59.39. If
you're stuck in NYC then you may be screwed.

$56.18 for Motel 6, actually.

Cab fare shouldn't be 50 bucks.

$12 each way, plus tip.

Worse, if you only have 5-6 hours until you need to be back at the
airport, you'll spend most of it finding a hotel, traveling, checking
in, etc, whereas a bit of sleep at the airport may well be more
restful then the above.

It takes you 6 hours to plug a couple of web sites and take a taxi ride?

Good point, don't forget to add $10 for Hotspot access.

So we're coming in right around $100 for what may end up being 4 hours
of sleep, between transportation and a bit of grace to assume the
airport may well be a proverbial zoo when you return and checking in may
take longer.

To some it's worth it, to others, it's not. If I had 6 hours to kill
and was headed to a business meeting, I'd probably hit the hotel and get
some sleep. If I was heading somewhere that I could sleep it off on the
other end, I'd stay at the airport.

--
If quitters never win, and winners never quit,
what fool came up with, "Quit while you're ahead"?
Old June 17th, 2007, 05:44 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
J. Clarke[_2_]

DevilsPGD wrote:
In message "J. Clarke"
wrote:

DevilsPGD wrote:
In message "J. Clarke"
wrote:

Toller wrote:
"rst" wrote in message
[...]

If your flight was _cancelled_, per the original post, then either your
meeting has to be rescheduled or you're going to miss it.

Old June 17th, 2007, 06:56 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
tim.....

"DevilsPGD" wrote in message
In message "J. Clarke"
wrote:

DevilsPGD wrote:
In message "J. Clarke"
wrote:

Toller wrote:
"rst" wrote in message
[...]

I'm insanely jealous of people who can make a uselful sleep out
of 4-5 hours in a hotel. Even were the hotel free, if I had to be
back at the airport before 6:00 for my flight, I just know that I
would not get out of bed in time, so it is so much more certain
to just stay at the airport and suffer the lost night's sleep.

tim

Old June 17th, 2007, 07:18 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
J. Clarke[_2_]

tim..... wrote:
"DevilsPGD" wrote in message
In message "J. Clarke"
wrote:

DevilsPGD wrote:
In message "J. Clarke"
wrote:

Toller wrote:
"rst" wrote in message
[...]

How often does one get to leave 6 hours after a _cancelled_ flight?

tim

Old June 17th, 2007, 07:23 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
DevilsPGD

In message "J. Clarke"
wrote:

DevilsPGD wrote:

To some it's worth it, to others, it's not. If I had 6 hours to kill
and was headed to a business meeting, I'd probably hit the hotel and
get some sleep. If I was heading somewhere that I could sleep it off
on the other end, I'd stay at the airport.

If your flight was _cancelled_, per the original post, then either your
meeting has to be rescheduled or you're going to miss it.

Not if the meeting doesn't occur until after the following flight has
landed -- I have the flexibility that I can work from anywhere with
internet access though, so I always fly out at least one flight before I
absolutely have to, and catch up on work from the hotel (or a nearby
hotspot).

A cancelled flight (or two) is not as devastating to my plans as to
many, although there is obviously no guarantee I'd make it on any of the
next few flights either.

Old June 17th, 2007, 08:04 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Peter Lawrence

J. Clarke wrote:
tim..... wrote:
"DevilsPGD" wrote in message
In message "J. Clarke"
wrote:

DevilsPGD wrote:
In message "J. Clarke"
wrote:

Toller wrote:
"rst" wrote in message
[...]

If you have reservations on the last flight out, and it was canceled,
then, in most cases, you probably can get a seat on the first flight
out. So if your 11:30pm flight was canceled, you probably have a good
chance of getting a seat on the 5:30am flight. Of course if a massive
amount of flights are canceled let say because of the weather, then your
chances are greatly reduced.

I can also see people whose late flight was canceled staying overnight
at the airport so they could be at the top of the standby list of the
first flights out.

But most of the video and photos of people sleeping overnight at
airports is when a massive amount of flights are canceled due to
weather. In those situations, probably all the nearby motels and hotels
got booked up quickly.

Most nights, there are always a few people sleeping overnight inside the
airport, but most of them look like young budget travelers (toting
around backups and duffel bags). Young people who probably stay at
youth hostels and other inexpensive accommodations when traveling and
are always looking for ways to save money when on the road.

- Peter