Travel With The Right Type Of Car GPS

Old November 24th, 2007, 10:11 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
virig

Default Travel With The Right Type Of Car GPS

Navigating using maps can be very frustrating especially if you are
doing so while driving your car. This becomes even stressful when you
are driving all alone in a strange territory...
http://articlesupdates.googlepages.c...veling_car_gps
Old November 24th, 2007, 10:56 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
sharx35

"virig" wrote in message
Navigating using maps can be very frustrating especially if you are
doing so while driving your car. This becomes even stressful when you
are driving all alone in a strange territory...
http://articlesupdates.googlepages.c...veling_car_gps

I've never been lost and NEVER felt frustrated using paper maps. Grow some
spine, eh.

Old November 24th, 2007, 01:33 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Rog'

"sharx35" wrote:
I've never been lost and NEVER felt frustrated using
paper maps. Grow some spine, eh.

-----------------
Car GPS is a toy for adults with pretty colors and it talks
to you! Folks, we do not need NASA's mission control
to drive somewhere. But it does save guys from having to
stop and ask directions.

I did that once, while driving thru a National Forest. Oh,
the humiliation! I asked, "Can you help me. I don't know
where I am." The lady said, "Don't worry, I know where
you are."

I recently rented a car with it in Germany. The instructions
were in German and I couldn't figure out how to turn it off
or reset the last route . It kept telling me in German to turn
around to return to the airport.

Old November 24th, 2007, 06:46 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Jim Davis[_1_]

On Nov 24, 6:33 am, "Rog'" wrote:
"sharx35" wrote:
I've never been lost and NEVER felt frustrated using
paper maps. Grow some spine, eh.

-----------------
Car GPS is a toy for adults with pretty colors and it talks
to you! Folks, we do not need NASA's mission control
to drive somewhere. But it does save guys from having to
stop and ask directions.

I did that once, while driving thru a National Forest. Oh,
the humiliation! I asked, "Can you help me. I don't know
where I am." The lady said, "Don't worry, I know where
you are."

I recently rented a car with it in Germany. The instructions
were in German and I couldn't figure out how to turn it off
or reset the last route . It kept telling me in German to turn
around to return to the airport.

My toy with the pretty colors saves my ass almost every day. I'm in
at least 20 different cities in North & South America every month. It
takes me directly to my Hotel, to the work location, and back to the
airport every time. However, the one advertised here is not the one
to buy.
Old November 25th, 2007, 03:55 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
sharx35

"Jim Davis" wrote in message
On Nov 24, 6:33 am, "Rog'" wrote:
"sharx35" wrote:
[...]

Well, *I* have been to hundreds of difference cities and NEVER got lost,
using PAPER maps.

Old November 25th, 2007, 09:01 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Jochen Kriegerowski[_2_]

"sharx35" schrieb

Well, *I* have been to hundreds of difference cities and NEVER got lost,
using PAPER maps.

Same here - but I don't deny that GPS *can* save some time, albeit the
time you need to pull out of traffic, stop a the curb and look at the map
in an unfamiliar city.

But I also came across a 'wrong type of car GPS' in a rental BMW 320
some time ago: First, operating that thing with the "iDrive". Try it without
studying the maual for two days - you'll change the radio station, set
the climate control to a very unpleasant temperature, see the fuel con-
sumption during the past 4638 kilometres... and finally find the GPS
menu. After a while you even manage to enter your destination! When
the system alerts you, you happily follow the new directions to navigate
around that traffic jam on the Autobahn (did I mention that you probably
hadn't been able to set the radio back to the original station?). After
30 minutes on scenic, winding country roads you are gradually steered
back to the Autobahn and.... Well, you really didn't want to miss this
traffic jam, did you? After all, now you have enough time to study the
manual. Perhaps you even find out how to set the cruise control! ;-)

A GPS (like anything else) on a rental car has to be operable as intuitive
as the brake pedal or the seat adjustment. A fancy 'User Interface'
might be something to impress your neighbours, but I prefer being able
to operate a car without having to read a 300 page handbook first
when I only have it for a couple of days.

Jochen

Old November 25th, 2007, 05:04 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Jim Davis[_1_]

On Nov 25, 2:01 am, "Jochen Kriegerowski" wrote:
"sharx35" schrieb

[...]

They're like any other piece of electronic equipment. Either you like
it, or you don't.

I have my own unit, which I carry in my computer case. Very easy to
operate. It takes me to the exact address every time. It's
definitely a time saver when you have a tight schedule. If there is
road construction or you make a wrong turn, the unit recalculates the
route so no time is wasted. Missing street signs are not a problem.

I'm heading for Toronto, ON tomorrow. All my stops are in the unit
and ready to go.
Old November 25th, 2007, 05:52 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Jochen Kriegerowski[_2_]

"Jim Davis" schrieb

They're like any other piece of electronic equipment. Either you like
it, or you don't.

True. I must admit that I tend to "don't", in most cases.

I have my own unit, which I carry in my computer case.

Your own unit might indeed be a good solution until the car manu-
facturers agree on a certain standard*)
You know how to use it and can take it from car to car, or have it in
your pocket when you walk through a city (I have no car, and usually
use public transport and my two legs)

It's definitely a time saver when you have a tight schedule.

I know they can be very helpful for many. But when I have a tight
schedule I'm in places where I know my way around.
I only rent a car for holidays or a weekend in the countryside - If I
get lost: So what? I'm never in a rush when I sit in a car.
For *me* GPS is just a fancy gimmick I don't really need, but if
a rental car is equipped with one I want to be able to use it straight
away.

Jochen
*)they managed to do that with light switches, gear positions of
both manual and automatic transmissions, and many other knobs
and buttons in a car, so they will come up with a solution for GPS
and all the rest too - eventually. Never give up hope ;-)
Old November 25th, 2007, 06:44 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Jim Davis[_1_]

On Nov 25, 10:52 am, "Jochen Kriegerowski" wrote:
"Jim Davis" schrieb

[...]

There's another way to look at it. I only get home about two days a
month. I live in an apartment complex because I can't take care of a
house. Most guys will have hunting, fishing, or camping equipment,
other expensive hobbies, etc. Since I have none of that, due to
extensive travel, I tend to spend my $ on expensive clothes, travel
equipment, and gadgets.
Different strokes for different folks.
Old November 25th, 2007, 07:00 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Keith Willshaw

"Rog'" wrote in message
"sharx35" wrote:
I've never been lost and NEVER felt frustrated using
paper maps. Grow some spine, eh.

-----------------
Car GPS is a toy for adults with pretty colors and it talks
to you! Folks, we do not need NASA's mission control
to drive somewhere. But it does save guys from having to
stop and ask directions.

I did that once, while driving thru a National Forest. Oh,
the humiliation! I asked, "Can you help me. I don't know
where I am." The lady said, "Don't worry, I know where
you are."

I disagree, driving in strange countries with no navigator a GPS
is worth its weight in gold. Pulling over to study a map
in Rome , NYC or Boston isnt a good alternative

I recently rented a car with it in Germany. The instructions
were in German and I couldn't figure out how to turn it off
or reset the last route . It kept telling me in German to turn
around to return to the airport.

Try asking somebody next time. Rental companies are typically
happy to give advice.

Keith