New York waiter's worse nightmare? - Europeans

Old June 20th, 2008, 04:13 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
stonej

Default New York waiter's worse nightmare? - Europeans

http://www.amny.com/business/am-tip0603,0,492920.story
Old June 20th, 2008, 05:59 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Jim Davis[_1_]

"stonej" wrote in message
http://www.amny.com/business/am-tip0603,0,492920.story

It's not usually customary to tip in Europe. Plus, there are a LOT of
people in the US who don't deserve a tip.

Old June 20th, 2008, 06:11 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Bert Hyman

(Jim Davis) wrote in
m:
"stonej" wrote in message

http://www.amny.com/business/am-tip0603,0,492920.story

It's not usually customary to tip in Europe.

And everybody knows that you're supposed to ignore the customs of the
places you visit.

Plus, there are a LOT of people in the US who don't deserve a tip.

But you'll find very few of those people waiting tables in
restaurants.

--
Bert Hyman | St. Paul, MN |
Old June 20th, 2008, 07:04 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
PeterL

On Jun 20, 9:59*am, "Jim Davis" wrote:
"stonej" wrote in message

http://www.amny.com/business/am-tip0603,0,492920.story

It's not usually customary to tip in Europe. *

New York is in Europe?

Old June 20th, 2008, 07:30 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Jim Davis[_1_]

"stonej" wrote in message

http://www.amny.com/business/am-tip0603,0,492920.story

It's not usually customary to tip in Europe.

New York is in Europe?

Read it again. More carefully this time.

Old June 20th, 2008, 07:38 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Jim Davis[_1_]

"Bert Hyman" wrote in message
(Jim Davis) wrote in
m:
"stonej" wrote in message

http://www.amny.com/business/am-tip0603,0,492920.story

It's not usually customary to tip in Europe.

And everybody knows that you're supposed to ignore the customs of the
places you visit.

A lot of people actually *do*.

Plus, there are a LOT of people in the US who don't deserve a tip.

But you'll find very few of those people waiting tables in
restaurants.

Yeah-Right. No rude people waiting tables in the US.

What gets me are places like buffets, where you pay when you enter. They
ask if you want to include the tip on your credit card. How the hell do I
know what the service will be like. If the waitperson is decent, I leave a
generous tip. If not, I leave little or nothing.

Old June 20th, 2008, 07:40 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Bert Hyman

(Jim Davis) wrote in
m:

"PeterL" wrote in message

m... On Jun 20, 9:59 am, "Jim Davis" wrote:
"stonej" wrote in message

m...

http://www.amny.com/business/am-tip0603,0,492920.story

It's not usually customary to tip in Europe.

New York is in Europe?

Read it again. More carefully this time.

Why? It's clear that he read and understood your comment perfectly.

--
Bert Hyman | St. Paul, MN |
Old June 20th, 2008, 07:57 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Jim Davis[_1_]

"Bert Hyman" wrote in message
(Jim Davis) wrote in
m:

"PeterL" wrote in message

m... On Jun 20, 9:59 am, "Jim Davis" wrote:
"stonej" wrote in message

m...

http://www.amny.com/business/am-tip0603,0,492920.story

It's not usually customary to tip in Europe.

New York is in Europe?

Read it again. More carefully this time.

Why? It's clear that he read and understood your comment perfectly.

Yeah - I wasn't clear. My first response was to the article.

Old June 20th, 2008, 08:23 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
James Silverton[_2_]

Jim wrote on Fri, 20 Jun 2008 13:38:38 -0500:

"Bert Hyman" wrote in message
(Jim Davis) wrote in
m:
"stonej" wrote in message

http://www.amny.com/business/am-tip0603,0,492920.story

It's not usually customary to tip in Europe.

And everybody knows that you're supposed to ignore the
customs of the places you visit.

A lot of people actually *do*.

Plus, there are a LOT of people in the US who don't deserve a tip.

But you'll find very few of those people waiting tables in
restaurants.

What gets me are places like buffets, where you pay when you enter.
They ask if you want to include the tip on your credit card. How the
hell do I know what the service will be like. If the waitperson is
decent, I leave a generous tip. If not, I leave
little or nothing.

In most buffets, I don't use a credit card and pay the amount asked
without addition since very often you are asked to pay before being
seated. If the staff has been ordinarily attentive, refilled drinks and
cleared plates etc., I think I will leave 10% but rounded up to the
nearest dollar. I usually give 15% (rounded up) in a regular restaurant.
..

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations: not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

Old June 20th, 2008, 08:37 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
John Kulp

On Fri, 20 Jun 2008 13:38:38 -0500, "Jim Davis"
wrote:

"Bert Hyman" wrote in message
(Jim Davis) wrote in
m:
"stonej" wrote in message

http://www.amny.com/business/am-tip0603,0,492920.story

It's not usually customary to tip in Europe.

And everybody knows that you're supposed to ignore the customs of the
places you visit.

A lot of people actually *do*.

Speak for yourself.

Plus, there are a LOT of people in the US who don't deserve a tip.

But you'll find very few of those people waiting tables in
restaurants.

Yeah-Right. No rude people waiting tables in the US.

He didn't say none. He said very few, which has certainly been my
experience. You don't bite the hand that feeds you, in this case, the
diner.

What gets me are places like buffets, where you pay when you enter. They
ask if you want to include the tip on your credit card. How the hell do I
know what the service will be like. If the waitperson is decent, I leave a
generous tip. If not, I leave little or nothing.

Which is how it works.