New York waiter's worse nightmare? - Europeans

Old June 22nd, 2008, 08:07 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Calif Bill

Default New York waiter's worse nightmare? - Europeans

"Jim Davis" wrote in message
m...

"Bert Hyman" wrote in message
(Jim Davis) wrote in
m:
"stonej" wrote in message

http://www.amny.com/business/am-tip0603,0,492920.story

It's not usually customary to tip in Europe.

And everybody knows that you're supposed to ignore the customs of the
places you visit.

A lot of people actually *do*.

Plus, there are a LOT of people in the US who don't deserve a tip.

But you'll find very few of those people waiting tables in
restaurants.

Yeah-Right. No rude people waiting tables in the US.

What gets me are places like buffets, where you pay when you enter. They
ask if you want to include the tip on your credit card. How the hell do I
know what the service will be like. If the waitperson is decent, I leave
a generous tip. If not, I leave little or nothing.

Yup, ignore the customs of the area. No tipping in Europe, and some of the
worst service I have ever had has been Europe. Why give great service, when
the gratuity(?) is set on the bill?

Old June 22nd, 2008, 08:44 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Jim Davis[_1_]

"Calif Bill" wrote in message
m...

"Jim Davis" wrote in message
m...

"Bert Hyman" wrote in message
(Jim Davis) wrote in
m:
"stonej" wrote in message

[...]

I'm not necessarily looking for great service. I just like to be
acknowledged once in a while. A simple drink refill will make me happy to
leave a sufficient tip.

Old June 23rd, 2008, 06:26 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Calif Bill

"Jim Davis" wrote in message
m...

"Calif Bill" wrote in message
m...

"Jim Davis" wrote in message
m...

"Bert Hyman" wrote in message
(Jim Davis) wrote in
m:
"stonej" wrote in message

[...]

And I have had no visits from the server after getting served in Europe. No
question as to the meal, no refill, nada. That is very rare in America.
Not as rare in Europe.

Old June 23rd, 2008, 08:22 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Mike O'Sullivan

Alan S wrote:

At least the majority of visitors to the USA do take the
trouble to learn the system fairly quickly; that's more than
I can say about the reverse situation. Excessive tipping by
US tourists to my country is leading to an expectation of
the same, from locals in tourist areas here, by restaurant
staff here who are quite adequately paid before tips.

Hear, hear! It seems that wait staff are adequately paid in Oz.
Old June 23rd, 2008, 08:25 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Mike O'Sullivan

Calif Bill wrote:
"Jim Davis" wrote in message
m...
"Bert Hyman" wrote in message
(Jim Davis) wrote in
m:
"stonej" wrote in message

[...]

Because you might suffer disciplinary measures from your employer, as in
most professions?
Old June 23rd, 2008, 08:26 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Mike O'Sullivan

Calif Bill wrote:

And I have had no visits from the server after getting served in Europe. No
question as to the meal, no refill, nada. That is very rare in America.
Not as rare in Europe.

Big place Europe! I've rarely suffered indifferent service in France.
Old June 24th, 2008, 04:20 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Calif Bill

"Mike O'Sullivan" wrote in message
Calif Bill wrote:
"Jim Davis" wrote in message
m...
"Bert Hyman" wrote in message
(Jim Davis) wrote in
m:
"stonej" wrote in message

[...]

And how many times is that tourist returning to the restaurant? How many
complaints will be voiced to the boss. Probably few, just on the internet
and to friends. Very small likelihood of penalty.

Old June 24th, 2008, 04:26 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Calif Bill

Calif Bill wrote:

And I have had no visits from the server after getting served in Europe.
No question as to the meal, no refill, nada. That is very rare in
America. Not as rare in Europe.

Big place Europe! I've rarely suffered indifferent service in France.

Maybe you did not stop in enough places. I have spent a goodly amount of
time in most of Europe and England, and have had several bouts of poor
service. I have also had excellent service, same as here in the states. I
have also seen French be snotty and **** off the madam who ran a place in
Ouchi region of Lusanne. Probably were French waitpersons. Since I
traveled on business and on vacation I have eaten in all levels of diners.
And the small family run have been some of the best service.

Old June 24th, 2008, 06:14 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Alan S[_1_]

On Sun, 22 Jun 2008 22:26:08 -0700, "Calif Bill"
wrote:

And I have had no visits from the server after getting served in Europe. No
question as to the meal, no refill, nada. That is very rare in America.
Not as rare in Europe.

Excellent. No-one annoyingly interrupting. Of course, if I
indicate I need service, there immediately.

Without their hand out for a gratuity at the end of the
meal.

Cheers, Alan, Australia
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/alan_s/
http://loraltravel.blogspot.com
Old June 24th, 2008, 12:20 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Barbara[_3_]

On Sun, 22 Jun 2008 12:52:45 UTC, Alan S wrote:

At least the majority of visitors to the USA do take the
trouble to learn the system fairly quickly; that's more than
I can say about the reverse situation. Excessive tipping by
US tourists to my country is leading to an expectation of
the same, from locals in tourist areas here, by restaurant
staff here who are quite adequately paid before tips.

I am really sorry to hear that is happening. My month-long trip to
Australia in the early 90's was the most pleasant I can remember,
primarily due to knowing exactly what I was paying for and how much it
would cost. NO TIPPING!! Taxi-drivers, waitpersons were friendly,
content, and attentive. It was wonderful!

I really hate tipping which dictates judgement on the part of the
recipient, as well as the server. "Is she? Do they? Where are they
from? Ignore the single tables, Attend the crowded tables for bigger
tips, Smile at the well-dressed (rich) people, Avoid the messy kid
tables,...", and on and on.

It's absurd! It's a job! Adequate pay should be expected as well as
adequate performance. Charge accordingly. I'd be happy to pay a bit
more to assure consistency.

--
Barbara