ID at check-in

Old October 3rd, 2008, 04:32 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
pltrgyst[_2_]

Default ID at check-in

On Thu, 02 Oct 2008 23:06:23 -0500, AZ Nomad
wrote:

On Thu, 02 Oct 2008 23:50:58 -0400, pltrgyst wrote:

I've never had an airline copy information from my driver's license, or ask for
it when selling me a ticket or issuing a boarding pass. And that includes United
and Southwest among them.

Checking ID before issueing a boarding pass is universal.
That includes all the airlines.

Which has nothing at all to do with what I said.

My statement stands. I print my boarding passes at home via the Internet. When
asked for ID, I show my passport or passport ID, even for domestic travel. The
airlines don't scan or record any information from the ID proferred.

-- Larry
Old October 3rd, 2008, 04:41 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
PeterL

On Oct 2, 9:06*pm, AZ Nomad wrote:
On Thu, 02 Oct 2008 23:50:58 -0400, pltrgyst wrote:
I've never had an airline copy information from my driver's license, or ask for
it when selling me a ticket or issuing a boarding pass. And that includes United
and Southwest among them.

Checking ID before issueing a boarding pass is universal.
That includes all the airlines.

He said copying information from the ID, not just checking the ID. I
too have never had my DL number copies on checking into a hotel.
Old October 3rd, 2008, 05:11 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
AZ Nomad[_3_]

wrote:

On Thu, 02 Oct 2008 23:50:58 -0400, pltrgyst wrote:

I've never had an airline copy information from my driver's license, or ask for
it when selling me a ticket or issuing a boarding pass. And that includes United
and Southwest among them.

Checking ID before issueing a boarding pass is universal.
That includes all the airlines.

Which has nothing at all to do with what I said.

My statement stands. I print my boarding passes at home via the Internet. When
asked for ID, I show my passport or passport ID, even for domestic travel. The
airlines don't scan or record any information from the ID proferred.

Again I never said that the airlines record any information.

You said, and I quote since you seem to have a very short memory:
I've never had an airline copy information from my driver's license, or ask for
it when selling me a ticket or issuing a boarding pass. And that includes United
and Southwest among them.

Is the word "or" your problem? You not only said that they don't record information
from your drivers license (no argument) but that they do not ask for it when selling
a ticket (big argument) or issuing a boarding pass (big argument).

Old October 3rd, 2008, 05:40 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Jim Davis[_1_]

wrote:

I've never had an airline copy information from my driver's license, or
ask for
it when selling me a ticket or issuing a boarding pass. And that includes
United
and Southwest among them.

Checking ID before issueing a boarding pass is universal.
That includes all the airlines.

Which has nothing at all to do with what I said.

My statement stands. I print my boarding passes at home via the Internet.
When
asked for ID, I show my passport or passport ID, even for domestic travel.
The
airlines don't scan or record any information from the ID proferred.

-- Larry

When I check in for an international flight online with CO, my passport
information is already there. I just click on it, and I'm finished.

I used to use my CC at the kiosk, until certain information came up one day.
Just scans your name for checkin info? Yeah-right. Now I use the record
locator number.

My point is, that we have no idea of how much information they already have.
I don't know about the rest of you, but I've been too trusting in the past.

Old October 3rd, 2008, 05:46 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Jim Davis[_1_]

"Hatunen" wrote in message
On Fri, 3 Oct 2008 10:04:24 +0100, "topof"
wrote:

And if your credit card was stolen and used youd be the first one to
complain that no one asked for ID when the purchases were made!!

Nonsense. When an American credit card is stolen you, the
cardholder , are not responsible for any charges run up by the
thief.

My wallet got lifted on the Paris Metro ten years ago. The
thieves used my credit card to run up about $600 in purchases,
but I was not responsible for any of it.

You're 100% right, but it's the principal of it all. My wife's CC's were
stolen and thousands of $$ were rung up. We were covered, but I'm ****ed
that the person got away with it.
And to top it all off, the charges were local, and no ID was checked at any
of the stores. Radio Shack was the largest at $4,000.00, and they never
asked for ID.

Old October 3rd, 2008, 05:48 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
pltrgyst[_2_]

On Fri, 03 Oct 2008 11:11:38 -0500, AZ Nomad
wrote:

Is the word "or" your problem? You not only said that they don't record information
from your drivers license (no argument) but that they do not ask for it when selling
a ticket (big argument)...

They don't ask me for a driver's license.

or issuing a boarding pass (big argument).

They don't ask me for a driver's license.

Argue away.

-- Larry
Old October 3rd, 2008, 06:04 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Jim Davis[_1_]

wrote:

Is the word "or" your problem? You not only said that they don't record
information
from your drivers license (no argument) but that they do not ask for it
when selling
a ticket (big argument)...

They don't ask me for a driver's license.

or issuing a boarding pass (big argument).

They don't ask me for a driver's license.

Argue away.

Are we just play'in word games? Maybe not specifically a DL but they ask
for picture ID. (in fact, I believe, "Gov't issued picture ID".)

Old October 3rd, 2008, 06:24 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Keith Willshaw[_4_]

"Cari" wrote in message

"Patrick Hernan" wrote in message

I stayed at a major hotel in Las Vegas recently. At check-in they wanted
a credit card and picture ID. I gave them a credit card and my driver's
license as an ID. Before I knew it she entered my driver's license number
into the hotel computer. This has never happened to me before. When I
objected she said "everybody does it now" but that is certainly not my
experience. This really seems like an invasion of privacy in the time of
identity theft. I can only imagine how many employees have access to that
computer. Even when I travel abroad hotel clerks usually don't take down
my passport number. As an American traveling in America this seems
outrageous. Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Fairly standard in Las Vegas as the occupant of the room MUST be 21 or
over and the way to identify this in the USA is by drivers licence.
Foreign visitors must hand over their passport and have those details
entered in the computers.

Well now I have stayed in Las Vegas on a number of occassions and
the check in staff have NEVER asked to see my UK Passport, in
fact I dont think I have ever done that anywhere in the USA although
it has happened in Canada.

Keith

Old October 3rd, 2008, 06:45 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
AZ Nomad[_3_]

On Fri, 3 Oct 2008 12:04:50 -0500, Jim Davis wrote:

.. .

wrote:

Is the word "or" your problem? You not only said that they don't record
information
from your drivers license (no argument) but that they do not ask for it
when selling
a ticket (big argument)...

They don't ask me for a driver's license.

or issuing a boarding pass (big argument).

They don't ask me for a driver's license.

Argue away.

Are we just play'in word games? Maybe not specifically a DL but they ask
for picture ID. (in fact, I believe, "Gov't issued picture ID".)

plt is obviously only interested argueing for the sake of argueing.
I'm through with the jerk. He can argue with himself till he strangles
himself.
Old October 3rd, 2008, 07:52 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
pltrgyst[_2_]

On Thu, 02 Oct 2008 23:24:28 -0500, AZ Nomad
wrote:

I was taking exception to pltrgyst's statement that they don't even ask for it
when selling a ticket or issueing a boarding pass.

Here's how it works today, at all three Washington DC area airports:

Go to the United Airlines Web site. Select flights, choose seats. Do not enter a
frequent flier number.

They ask for name, address, phone number, email address. Then they ask for
credit card number and code. That is it. Then they issue you an e-ticket. 24
hours before your flight, you can print your boarding pass at home.

No ID shown until you get to airport security. Show ID and boarding pass to
security staff.

Show boarding pass only (no ID) to airline personnel at gate. Get on plane. Fly.

The only time you show an ID is to TSA staff, and normally nothing from it is
recorded.

In order to check a bag, you will have to show an ID to airline staff, but
nothing is recorded there either. They just use name, etc. from it to find your
e-ticket in their computerized system, and use that information to print the
luggage tag.

-- Larry