Which is best Motel Chain for extended trip to the US.

Old June 25th, 2009, 02:23 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Smiles

Default Which is best Motel Chain for extended trip to the US.

Debbie wrote:
Also Neville, we have found that both in Canada and the U.S....our RACV
card was accepted for discounts in places that offered a AAA discount.

Debbie

"Debbie" wrote in message
Kev....

as Aussies we no longer need the tricks for Priceline....
we are now accepted and they like our money just the same as anyone
elses.

Neville, you can also sign up for Wyndham Rewards - and book for any
of the chain motels, you can either get air miles or credits for
accomodation. We found them really helpful last year when travelling
the US East Coast

Debbie

"Big Kev" wrote in message
Gidday Rosemarie and Neville.

Have a few clues for you, but concur very much with Alan S, (who we
have corro'd with previously re our Usa and world travels).

We have travelled throughout USA probably about 13 times, and are DIY
BUDGET travellers. (Most recently arrived back 2 weeks ago)

Motel 6 was our original choice for having some degree of security in
knowing that what you see in the book is what you get. If you know a
basic itinerary, and want to set up a budget, get the cost info
on-line from their site. Many years ago, upon request from website,
they also sent a brochure to us in OZ.

Now, Motel 6 are generally located just off Interstate Highways, so
if you want to stay a few days in a city, this is sometimes not
convenient. Catch 22, 'cos if you stay smack dab in a city, hotels
sometimes dont include parking.

If we know where we want to be to keep on some kind of basic
schedule, we book for cities using Hotwire or Priceline (PL by far
has been the best for us) .. But as Aussies, if bidding, you need to
use a few tricks. -- Willing to advise and help you if needed.

Our most recent was all pre-booked, since it was was for only about 4
weeks, and we had others with us, itwas a lot easier that way. If you
take a laptop, most hotels have wireless internet so, booking by
just keeping one day ahead is really possible.

As well as Motel6, Super8 now offers some great deals in the budget
area. (remember Web Prices change almost daily, so , if you have
time, do a few test runs over a period of time before making a booking)

If gunna rent cars, also recommend that that you do test runs for
same reason. Get a GOLD Visa with your bank if they give travel
insurance as part of the deal !!!

Rental Car LDW can cost around $25USD / day and this will normally
over residual (excess).. Also, (if over 55) Join AARP (American
Association of Retired Persons). Use thier rental companies , use the
special code, then as well as a discount rate on rental, you will
then get, a maximum liability of $5,000 for damage to the rental
car.. (As a member, you also get 10% discount from many motels)..
With your extended trip, you will get your investment back many times
over.

You may have been asking about package for staying in one particular
chain of motel/hotels. Most chains have a schemes of gaining credits
for each stay. check the websites, but up the lower end of the scale,
(Super8 etc), have a look at getting a triprewards card. You CANT
use this if you have booked and prepaid a deal thru providers such as
hotwire or priceline..

Hope that helps..

(and gidday Alan)

--
Have a great day today, and an even better day tomorrow.
Regards,

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Neville MADDEN" wrote in message
news
Good morning,

My wife and I are planning a 3 month tour of the US using a rental
car and
staying in motels.

I have looked at the various motel chains such as Motel 6, Motel8,
Days Inn
eyc and am wondering if anyone has any reccommendations at to who
offers the
best deal over an extended period.

Thans

Rosemarie and Neville in Australia

I do not use this card for discounts I do get discounts from other sites
but still get credit towards gas cards and other rewards from
Triprewards for just staying
Old June 25th, 2009, 05:50 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
y_p_w

On Jun 19, 11:10*am, Hatunen wrote:
On Fri, 19 Jun 2009 12:02:14 +0100, "tim....."

wrote:

"h.kight" wrote in message
.. .
Google "extended stay motels" and avoid Motel 6.

Why? Have they changed in the last 15 years.

In all things you get what you pay for and whilst there are undoubtedly some
run down 6s in slummy areas, most are perfectly adequate basic motels who's
only negative is that they overlook the freeway, but then, so do many of the
"quality" motels!

Even supposedly quality hotels. Near where I work there are several
mid-priced hotels by the freeway. Once I stayed at one after a party
and chose the side of the building next to the freeway. The room was
really nice down to the amenities (premium toiletries), and features
(flat-screen TV, free high-speed internet, Herman Miller chairs), but
the constant sound of freeway noise was a distraction.

Some Motel 6 locations definitely look old/dated on the outside, but
they're almost universally (including franchises) well maintained.
The only room problem I ever had was one which wasn't properly odor
neutralized (they allow pets) after a dog likely did its business in
the room. You know what to expect - a clean room, a bit small, maybe
a small pool, basic towels, cheap soap, no iron (or board), no
hairdryer, and a desk + table. Occasionally it gets a bit strange
given that some of the patrons aren't the most conscientious about how
they affect other guests. I've heard of some rather loud arguments
that remind me of personal disputes you'd see on the show "Cops".
Sometimes Motel 6 seems to attract some of the seedier members of
society; there are some indications that some locations may be
somewhat popular among drug abusers or those seeking prostitution.
However - many of the locations are taking steps to remedy that. I
stayed at one very full location where a security guard was stationed
and kept people out where were not guests.

I have even been in some locations where it was quite nice - almost a
hotel. In Moab, Utah the location used one of their newer standard
designs with interior corridors. The rooms were larger than other
locations. The bathrooms had full bath and showers. The pool was a
bit larger and had a fairly nice hot tub. The prices were lower than
other places in town, but not super cheap either.

I do remember, though, a time when they had TV sets in the rooms
but you had to rent a special key to be able to watch them.

It's still almost always a basic CRT. However - you now almost always
get free premium channels like HBO.
Old June 26th, 2009, 12:08 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
- Bobb -[_2_]

"y_p_w" wrote in message
In all things you get what you pay for and whilst there are undoubtedly
some
run down 6s in slummy areas, most are perfectly adequate basic motels
who's
only negative is that they overlook the freeway, but then, so do many of
the
"quality" motels!

I stayed at one Motel6 in Kelso, WA - right off the highway - $59 /night and
kept hearing small dogs barking - from different rooms. I complained - noise
went away - next one started .... Fast forward one week - I'm still driving
around WA/ Oregon and I stop at another motel6. Making small talk with
manager at check-in and I asked about dog policy and my story about earlier
stay. She knew right away - she USED to be the manager at 'that other Motel6
location". The story: THAT location allows dogs because a few times per year
there are dog shows in some local auditorium. She said that at least once a
year they have to renovate the rooms there because - the dog owners would
.... dye the hair of the dog in the bath ( or sink) shave dog and flush
hair - clog drains etc. She said that I was lucky if my room had no problem
other than noise.!