tipping demand (in Montreal)

Old October 11th, 2003, 06:39 PM
Missy

Default tipping demand (in Montreal)

And make sure when you tip, you're not tipping on the tax, too. Easy rule
of thumb, add the tax on the bill, that's what your tip should be.

Old October 11th, 2003, 08:06 PM
Jacques E. Bouchard

"stuff4u" wrote in
:

I've never come across this, ever.

The 15 % deal sounds like tax. I bet your buddy who can't
read/speak/understand french got hit with GST/PST.

I doubt that the bill they received omitted the tax. The original
poster said that the waitress demanded more than the 10% tip he left. So,
there seems to be no confusion as to what this is.

jaybee
Old October 11th, 2003, 08:48 PM
Marko

Howard Lem wrote:

I'd love to see them try to get xtra tip money from me! The person will get
what I think is deserved. If service is not adequate, they will get a very
small amount, the manager will be told the level of service received was only
worth that much.

If the service is not adequate, Ann Landers once recommended a dime:
they can't claim you didn't tip, its clear that's what you think its worth

--
Marko Jotic
"Common sense is anything but common".

Old October 11th, 2003, 11:12 PM
Splitskull

Yep I would do exactly the same thing.

--

Splitskull

"Marc" wrote in message
On Fri, 10 Oct 2003 23:55:17 -0400, H. S. wrote:

Standard here is 15%, basically just give the waiter the same amount as
the tax on your bill. However, in this case I would have told her to ****
off and never would eat in that establishment again.
--
Marc Lombart 11/10/2003 10:06:41 http://www.marcmywords.com
"There is no limit to what can be accomplished if it doesn't matter who

Old October 11th, 2003, 11:53 PM
Jacques E. Bouchard

Marko wrote in
:

Howard Lem wrote:

I'd love to see them try to get xtra tip money from me! The person
will get what I think is deserved. If service is not adequate, they
will get a very small amount, the manager will be told the level of
service received was only worth that much.

If the service is not adequate, Ann Landers once recommended a dime:
they can't claim you didn't tip, its clear that's what you think its
worth

Like I previously said, I'm a generous tipper. But the last time
a waitress showed impatience and rolled her eyes when I asked (nicely)
for a copy of the bill for tax purposes, she got two pennies and a
note.

jaybee
Old October 12th, 2003, 03:11 AM

On Sat, 11 Oct 2003 10:07:32 -0400, Marc
wrote:

On Fri, 10 Oct 2003 23:55:17 -0400, H. S. wrote:

Standard here is 15%, basically just give the waiter the same amount as
the tax on your bill. However, in this case I would have told her to ****
off and never would eat in that establishment again.

WOW !
15% TIP + 15% TAX = 30% Hose-job

I'm always amazed at areas that put so much into tourist brochures....
Then they screw people when thay do visit.
I guess it's good politics.
The "locals" aren't subject to the tax.

I have no problem paying for "goods and services"....
but
On a recent trip, I paid;
airport tax
hotel tax
state sales tax
city sales tax
bar tax
and the usual sales taxes.

If you add in the ( mandatory ) 15% tip for every meal,
you might as well stay home, and just send the robbers a check !

I've paid more than a few motel bills that started out at $50
But ende up close to $60 after taxes !
rj
Old October 12th, 2003, 04:49 AM
Eric Holeman

In article ,
wrote:

I'm always amazed at areas that put so much into tourist brochures....
Then they screw people when thay do visit.
I guess it's good politics.
The "locals" aren't subject to the tax.

Not usually true with restaurant taxes--they ding locals and visitors
alike. And visitors to Canada can (with some restrictions) get a refund
on the GST on things that they take out of the country. (Meals don't
count, because you consume them in- country...)

On a recent trip, I paid;
airport tax

Most every airport has those; ours certainly does.

hotel tax

Those are among the worst, because they don't hit locals. But turnabout
is fair play, so you can always tax the visitors when they come to your
fair town.

state sales tax
city sales tax
bar tax
and the usual sales taxes.

I pay all those here, and they're as high here as they are
anywhere--probably higher.

If you add in the ( mandatory ) 15% tip for every meal,
you might as well stay home, and just send the robbers a check !

If you don't want to tip, you can always go to a country where it's not a
custom. Or you can stick to fast food and take-out.

--
---
Eric Holeman Chicago Illinois USA
Old October 12th, 2003, 08:41 PM
Lynn Guinni

H. S. wrote:

I am wondering (actually I have a good mind of going there and having a
look myself) are waiters and waitresses right in demanding a certain
minimum tip?

Looking at it logically, if you accept that "tipping has become more of
a mandatory thing rather than a reward for good service" (as someone
said, and you agreed, above), or that the tip is a just a regular part
of their wage, paid directly by the customer, then does it not follow
that, yes, they are right in demanding a certain minimum tip? (This is
not the same as a mandatory minimum service charge typically imposed for
groups, because that policy is revealed in advance, usually right on the
menu.) You may think the waitress rude, but she may think the customer
rude, or worse, for trying to avoid paying her rightful wage.

Or, you don't buy the original premise. Can't have it both ways.
Old October 12th, 2003, 08:53 PM
Lynn Guinni

stuff4u wrote:

But For our American readers who aren't used to getting gouged by tax..

Meal: 100 $
TAX: 15 $

It should be clarified that there are in fact two taxes, federal and
provincial, so that in fact two separate amounts will appear, totalling
15%. Although, now that I think of it, maybe Quebec harmonized in such
a way that only one figure appears. Three Atlantic provinces did
something like this, but in most others you'll see separate figures.
A couple of additional gouges: Prince Edward Island applies a 10% tax on
top of the fed tax. So a $100 meal has a tax of $7, plus another $10.70
(10% of $100 + $7). In Ontario, there's a 10% tax on alcohol, 8% on
food, so your $100 meal will show THREE taxes if you had alcohol.

US restaurant prices start to look a lot more reasonable when you get to
the bottom line, i.e., how much money actually leaves your pocket. On a
personal note, I've also generally found US service to be better.
(Usually the farther south you go, the better it gets). Waitresses have
told me that Americans are far less likely to be meek and tip just as
much for mediocre service, so there's an incentive to do a better job.
Old October 12th, 2003, 09:13 PM
stuff4u

"Lynn Guinni" wrote in message
stuff4u wrote:

US restaurant prices start to look a lot more reasonable when you get to
the bottom line, i.e., how much money actually leaves your pocket. On a
personal note, I've also generally found US service to be better.

Unfortunately not the food though. There's great Restaurants and great food
in the US sure, but pretty much anywhere in Canada you can order a burger
and get quality you don't get down south