tipping demand (in Montreal)

Old October 12th, 2003, 09:23 PM
Marc

Default tipping demand (in Montreal)

On Sat, 11 Oct 2003 15:48:13 -0400, Marko wrote:

If the service is not adequate, Ann Landers once recommended a dime:
they can't claim you didn't tip, its clear that's what you think its worth

A penny works for me.
--
Marc Lombart 12/10/2003 16:23:14 http://www.marcmywords.com
"Dare to be naive."
Old October 12th, 2003, 09:54 PM
Jacques E. Bouchard

Lynn Guinni wrote in :

US restaurant prices start to look a lot more reasonable when you get

the bottom line, i.e., how much money actually leaves your pocket. On

personal note, I've also generally found US service to be better.
(Usually the farther south you go, the better it gets).

Yeah, but you still have to put up with that bland, greasy,
tasteless slop Americans call "food" (and if you don't know what I'm
talking about, then the distinction may be lost on you).

jaybee
Old October 12th, 2003, 11:59 PM
Jacques E. Bouchard

Alan Pollock wrote in
:

In rec.travel.usa-canada Jacques E. Bouchard
wrote:
Lynn Guinni wrote in
:

US restaurant prices start to look a lot more reasonable when you
get

the bottom line, i.e., how much money actually leaves your pocket.
On

personal note, I've also generally found US service to be better.
(Usually the farther south you go, the better it gets).

Yeah, but you still have to put up with that bland, greasy,
tasteless slop Americans call "food" (and if you don't know what I'm
talking about, then the distinction may be lost on you).

From a person who hails from the place that invented 'poutine' that's
rich. Nex

I'll take poutine over Cheez Whiz, stuffed-crust pizza and frozen
dinners any day.

If you think poutine is all there is to Quebec restaurants, you
need to stray from the McDonald's a bit. However, having lived in both
french and english parts of the city, I can tell you that gastonomy all
but stops west of St-Laurent (and yes, I've had NDG's self-proclaimed
"best" hamburger. I'm still clogged).

I'd just add that all too many Canadians eat next to freeways on

their
way to florida and then judge the entire country that way. In their
own turf they know where the good places to eat are of course, but
then so do Americans on their particular turfdoms. Hello?

We're talking about Quebec, not Canada.

jaybee
Old October 13th, 2003, 12:01 AM
Jacques E. Bouchard

Alan Pollock wrote in
:

In rec.travel.usa-canada stuff4u wrote:

Unfortunately not the food though. There's great Restaurants and
great food in the US sure, but pretty much anywhere in Canada you

can
order a burger and get quality you don't get down south

Wrong. From someone who's lived extensively in both countries. Nex

I have also lived in both countries. Difference is, I've
experienced countless small restaurants that no anglo would frequent
because they're francophone establishments.

Every time I suffer AMerican cuisine, I'm amazed at how bland and
greasy it is. Try an "american" burger without glops of mustard and
ketchup to simulate taste some time.

jaybee
Old October 13th, 2003, 12:03 AM
Jacques E. Bouchard

"PaulO" wrote in news:3f89fd71$0$15134
:

Burgers - Great Food????

Bloody Hell!!

You've GOT to get out more!

La Paryse and L'Anecdote. If you reply "Huh?" then you need to get
out more. ;-)

jaybee
Old October 13th, 2003, 01:08 AM
nday

H. S. wrote:
Lynn Guinni wrote:

I do not agree that it is a wage. In the other newsgroup thread I had
meant something like "that is what most people who serve seem to be
thinking!". The context was that the tip should be a reward, but
unfortunately many tend to think that it is a mandatory service.

of their wage, paid directly by the customer, then does it not follow
that, yes, they are right in demanding a certain minimum tip? (This is

Nope, I don't think it does. This is not a wage that they are getting
only from me. Tip (in the other thread also) had been argued to be a
supplement to their actual wages -- supplement in the form of a reward.
So it is much different than a regular pay --- it is just a reward.

_For the sake of argument_, even if we consider it to be a wage,
shouldn't the waitress clarify the minimum wage *before* entering into
the contract of serving? Just like any other person who delivers his/her
service does. For example, if you give your monitor for repairs, who
decides an estimate or demands a minimum charge, you or the repairman
who is delivering his services?

Read through all the posts in this thread. One thing I didn't see
mentioned was that a couple of years ago the provincal governemnt
started calculating tips as taxable income, whether or not the waiter
received the 15%, which, from what I've heard they rarely get anyway but
are still taxed as if they did.

I've never run into a situation like your friend did, but I can
understand the waiter/waitress frustration having to pay an automatic
tax on income they may not have gotten in the first place while working
at such a low paying job in the first place.

If I've got this wrong then maybe someone can set the record straight.

Neil

Old October 13th, 2003, 01:17 AM
Alan Pollock

In rec.travel.usa-canada stuff4u wrote:

"Lynn Guinni" wrote in message
stuff4u wrote:

US restaurant prices start to look a lot more reasonable when you get to
the bottom line, i.e., how much money actually leaves your pocket. On a

Old October 13th, 2003, 01:49 AM
H. S.

Lynn Guinni wrote:

Looking at it logically, if you accept that "tipping has become more of
a mandatory thing rather than a reward for good service" (as someone
said, and you agreed, above), or that the tip is a just a regular part

[...]

not the same as a mandatory minimum service charge typically imposed for
groups, because that policy is revealed in advance, usually right on the
menu.) You may think the waitress rude, but she may think the customer
rude, or worse, for trying to avoid paying her rightful wage.

Of course she would consider the customer rude ) I guess it is
seldom the case that a waitress actually does some introspection and
realizes she may not have done a nice job )

-HS

Or, you don't buy the original premise. Can't have it both ways.

--
Remove all underscores from my email address to get the correct one.