9 Month Road Trip, but I need a car!!

Old March 24th, 2004, 01:12 PM
Keith Willshaw

Default 9 Month Road Trip, but I need a car!!

"alohacyberian" wrote in message
"Keith Willshaw" wrote in message
Its kinda hard to drive across the Atlantic, the water comes
in under the doors

Keith

Not only does the water come in under the doors, coral can cause severe
damage to tires and if water enters the engine compartment in sufficient
amounts, it can dampen engine performance considerably. KM

That would explain the drop in top speed

Keith

Old March 24th, 2004, 01:34 PM
alohacyberian

"Keith Willshaw" wrote in message
"alohacyberian" wrote in message
"Keith Willshaw" wrote in message
Its kinda hard to drive across the Atlantic, the water comes
in under the doors

Keith

Not only does the water come in under the doors, coral can cause severe
damage to tires and if water enters the engine compartment in sufficient
amounts, it can dampen engine performance considerably. KM

That would explain the drop in top speed

Keith

LOL! Yup, it wasn't just a tank of bad petrol! KM
--
(-:alohacyberian:-) At my website there are 3000 live cameras or
visit NASA, play games, read jokes, send greeting cards & connect

Old March 24th, 2004, 01:42 PM
Smiley

No local address no insurance
rental is your only way

robindotadams wrote:

Hi all,

I'm in the UK and am in the process of pulling together a trip of a
lifetime starting in July this year. I'm planning to spend about 9
months travelling all over the states fulfilling a child hood dream.
I've got most of the things I need sorted (any tips as ever would be
cool), but the one loose end I have is actually getting around. I've
considered renting, but for the length of time, I'm angling towards
buying. Problem is I can't seem to get any sense on things stopping
me from buying, such as registration, insurance etc. Is there a good
no nonsense website which will tell me how to go about buying and
insuring a car when I have no fixed location? Can someone out there
provide me with some guidance? All help appreciated. If I go to a
car dealership with a big wodge of cash can I drive away?

--
Please note: To avoid spam, all email to my Hotmail address (above) is automatically trashed. If you wish to send me an email, kindly say so in a post, before attempting to send the mail. I will notify you by a private email to which we can respond to.

Old March 24th, 2004, 03:25 PM
Russell Patterson

On 23 Mar 2004 14:54:44 -0800, (robindotadams)
wrote:

Hi all,

I'm in the UK and am in the process of pulling together a trip of a
lifetime starting in July this year. I'm planning to spend about 9
months travelling all over the states fulfilling a child hood dream.
I've got most of the things I need sorted (any tips as ever would be
cool), but the one loose end I have is actually getting around. I've
considered renting, but for the length of time, I'm angling towards
buying. Problem is I can't seem to get any sense on things stopping
me from buying, such as registration, insurance etc. Is there a good
no nonsense website which will tell me how to go about buying and
insuring a car when I have no fixed location? Can someone out there
provide me with some guidance? All help appreciated. If I go to a
car dealership with a big wodge of cash can I drive away?

If you can purchase a car with insurance and everything, why not
consider purchasing a used motorhome? I say used only because you
will have to sell it 9 months later. If you got a new one you would
take a significant loss when selling it 9 months later. With a used
motorhome, the major portion of the depreciation has already been
factored in. You might even sell it for more than you paid for it if
you are lucky. This could happen if you purchase it in an area of the
country where the prices are low and sell it in an area where prices
are higher.

Russ
respond here or email responses to
Old March 24th, 2004, 03:31 PM
John Ramsay

Diva Martine wrote:

"robindotadams" wrote in message
om...
Hi all,

I'm in the UK and am in the process of pulling together a trip of a
lifetime starting in July this year. I'm planning to spend about 9
months travelling all over the states fulfilling a child hood dream.
I've got most of the things I need sorted (any tips as ever would be
cool), but the one loose end I have is actually getting around. I've
considered renting, but for the length of time, I'm angling towards
buying. Problem is I can't seem to get any sense on things stopping
me from buying, such as registration, insurance etc. Is there a good
no nonsense website which will tell me how to go about buying and
insuring a car when I have no fixed location? Can someone out there
provide me with some guidance? All help appreciated. If I go to a
car dealership with a big wodge of cash can I drive away?

Interesting dilemma. First of all, you need to know that you pay sales tax
on the vehicle in the State and County in which it is purchased, so you want
to find a place that has minmal sales tax. Doing a quick Google search it
says that Delaware, Oregon, New Hampshire and Montana have none.
Therefore, I would make my purchase in one of these places. However, they
may require residency in order to purchase tax free.

Contact your embassy in New York and find out what you need to buy a car
here. Is a travel Visa enough? Or will you need a Residence. Here is a
tip. Many people who travel in recreational vehicles FULL TIME in this
country establish residency for the purposes of taxation through companies
designed just for that purpose. There are some in Texas, Florida, and S.
Dakota. I don't know what type of documentation you need to do this. But
it might be worth looking into if you need to establish residency for
insurance or to purchase a car.

Yes, a dealership will let you drive away with the car you buy. Usually, no
questions asked if you are paying cash. The problems start when you have to
get them licensed and titled.

Dealers can't do that. Any change of ownership has to be registered so
that the state can make sure the new owner has insurance.

Same with private sales.

Most government agencies have ONE WAY of
doing things and they are woefully incapable of thinking outside the box, so
to speak. I expect that your Embassy can help you smooth out the rough
edges. But whatever you do get COPIES OF LETTERS and anything in writing you
can to back up any information they give you. You will have to prove
yourself over and over again to disbeliving individuals. Trust me, it isn't
going to be easy.

DIVa

Old March 24th, 2004, 08:17 PM
Peter L

"Stefan Patric" wrote in message
On Tuesday 23 March 2004 05:07 pm, Peter L wrote:

[...]

Without a permanent address and a US driver license, I think your
chances of getting legitimate insurance for a purchased automobile is
pretty slim.

Sure he has a permanent address -- in the UK.

But he is thinking of buying a car in the US.

He doesn't need a US license. His UK one would most likely do, but an
international one would be best.

Not for purchasing a car and insurance.

As for insurance: His UK insurance company should cover him while in the
US with a rider on his original policy. This is what I do when I drive
my personal car into Canada or Mexico etc. for any extended trips.

Yes but your insurance is covering your car. He is thinking about buying a
car in the US. How is his UK insurance know what car he is buying?

Check with the US State Department (or "local" US Embassy) for more
info.

The US State Dept. don't know anything about auto insurance, which is a
state matter.

--
Stefan Patric

Old March 24th, 2004, 08:18 PM
Peter L

"alohacyberian" wrote in message
"Keith Willshaw" wrote in message
Its kinda hard to drive across the Atlantic, the water comes
in under the doors

Keith

Not only does the water come in under the doors, coral can cause severe
damage to tires and if water enters the engine compartment in sufficient
amounts, it can dampen engine performance considerably. KM

There are coral reefs in the Atlantic?

Old March 24th, 2004, 08:45 PM
Keith Willshaw

"Peter L" wrote in message

"alohacyberian" wrote in message
"Keith Willshaw" wrote in message
Its kinda hard to drive across the Atlantic, the water comes
in under the doors

Keith

Not only does the water come in under the doors, coral can cause severe
damage to tires and if water enters the engine compartment in sufficient
amounts, it can dampen engine performance considerably. KM

There are coral reefs in the Atlantic?

Yep there are cold water corals as far up as Norway.

The Darwin mounds west of Scotland are amongst the more famous.

http://www.abdn.ac.uk/~nhy136/darwin_mounds.hti

Keith