Florida, tax and tourists

Old June 29th, 2004, 12:01 PM
Binyamin Dissen

Default Florida, tax and tourists

On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 10:37:08 +0100 "Roland Watson"
wrote:

:Hmmm, so I would pay sales tax on, say, a DVD player in Florida and have to
:pay duty on it again when I land in Britain?

You could have it shipped out of state and avoid the sales tax.

--
Binyamin Dissen
http://www.dissensoftware.com
Old June 29th, 2004, 08:20 PM
Not the Karl Orff

In article ,
"Roland Watson" wrote:

Hmmm, so I would pay sales tax on, say, a DVD player in Florida and have to
pay duty on it again when I land in Britain?

Prwtty much yes. Unless you mailorder the DVD player from a state that
deosn't charge you sales tax
Old June 29th, 2004, 11:17 PM
Roger B.

"Roland Watson" wrote...
Hmmm, so I would pay sales tax on, say, a DVD player in
Florida and have to pay duty on it again when I land in Britain?

Yes. If you purchased the item from a store in Florida, you
would pay 6% to 8% sales tax, depending on the county that
you are in. Florida does not have a personal income tax, so
the sales tax is its life-blood.

However, many of us in this state avoid paying this tax on
larger items by making internet purchases from merchants
who do not have a retail store in the state. If I purchased the
item from www.buy.com, no sales tax would be assessed,
and possibly get free shipping, but from www.bestbuy.com,
the tax would be assessed. [Roger]

Old July 3rd, 2004, 04:51 AM
Shawn Hearn

In article ,
"Roland Watson" wrote:

Hi,

Still preparing for my trip to Florida. Are tourists liable to taxes in the
same way as residents? Over here, tourists don't have to pay VAT sales tax.

In all states where sales tax is charged, everyone has to pay it as far
as I know, Florida included. There are no refunds for non-Florida
residents.
Old July 3rd, 2004, 05:05 AM
jenn

Shawn Hearn wrote:

In article ,
"Roland Watson" wrote:

Hi,

Still preparing for my trip to Florida. Are tourists liable to taxes in the
same way as residents? Over here, tourists don't have to pay VAT sales tax.

In all states where sales tax is charged, everyone has to pay it as far
as I know, Florida included. There are no refunds for non-Florida
residents.

sales taxes are marketed to the citizens of high tourist states as a way
to stick out of staters with taxes. Wait till you see the taxes on your
hotel room -- it is not unusual for taxes to add up to anywhere from
10-20$ or even more on an expensive room, a night in the US. [varies
from state and city to state]
Old July 3rd, 2004, 04:59 PM
Frank F. Matthews

For purchases of significant goods taken from the country tourists can
get refunds in many jurisdictions. LA, TX, & NY come to mind.

Old July 3rd, 2004, 05:02 PM
Frank F. Matthews

I found it interesting that in Canada you can get a refund for part of
the tax on your hotel room.