Traveling to California in December

Old September 5th, 2004, 02:25 PM
standiann

Default Traveling to California in December

My husband and I, and 4 teens ages 13-17 will be in the area December 26 to
Jan 2 WE have made our reservations already at the Homewood Suites in
Garden Grove and than Days Inn hotel circle in San Diego Any comments on
these hotels? our Plans include the Disney parks, Universal Studios,
starline tour, the zoo and seaworld. We will be in San Diego for New
Years Eve and Day. Any suggestions on what to do. How about First Night
San Diego any comments? Any beaches recommendations for surfing. What is
the weather like, what should we pack? WE are looking for any advice,
safety, travel, attractions, must sees, driving you name it we are ready
to hear it.

Old September 5th, 2004, 05:52 PM
Patty Winter

In article outtravelling.com,
standiann wrote:
My husband and I, and 4 teens ages 13-17 will be in the area December 26 to
Jan 2
our Plans include the Disney parks, Universal Studios,
starline tour, the zoo and seaworld. We will be in San Diego for New
Years Eve and Day. Any suggestions on what to do.

The good news about Disneyland is that all the holiday atmosphere
will be in full swing, including the redecorated Haunted Mansion
and It's a Small World, the holiday parade, etc. The bad news is
that you'll be there during the single most crowded week of the year.

I highly recommend getting yourself a copy of Bob Sehlinger's
"The Unofficial Guide to Disneyland." (I think the new 2005
edition just came out.) Along with general overall advice
(including which attractions you and your teenagers are most
apt to enjoy; in some cases, those will be different ;-)), it
has recommendations for getting the most from your visit during
busy times. Just be prepared to not see everything, and don't
let the crowds keep you from having a fun time.

You might also want to ask any more specific questions about
Disneyland in the alt.disney.disneyland group.

Patty

Old September 5th, 2004, 08:30 PM
PETER PAN

Hi Ann,

I am a native of Southern California. For LA/Orange County, I would
suggest the following attractions, considering the ages of your
children:

1. Six Flag Magic Mountain in Valencia, a theme ride park 50 miles
North of Los Angeles.

1.5 the J P Getty Museum nxt to FWY 405 in Beverly Hills and various
museums in Downtown LA.

2. Knott's Berry Farm in Buena Park, a theme ride park about 5 miles
West of Disneyland.

3. South Coast Plaza, a very large upscale shopping mall with trendy
restaurants, and the Orange COunty Performing Arts Center, about 5
miles South of Disneyland.

4. Orange County Swap meet, the world's largest outdoor market with
mostly new goods, arts and crafts, on freeway 55 10 miles South of
disneyland.

5. Newport Beach and the Balboa Fun Zone, where teen-age kids hang
out.

6. Spend a day in Laguna Beach, an artist colony with nice
restaurants and lots of art galleries.

In San Diego, of course there are the Zoo, Sea World and the
followings:

7. Visit la Jolla Cove where you can snorkel within 20 feet of the
sand to see a lot of garibaldis, various local fish species and sea
weeds.

8. Old town for the history of settlement in California

8.5 Visit the shopping and restaurant rows on the SD harbor and wharp.

9. Balboa Park, with Art and Aerospace museums...

10. Gas Lamp quarter for restaurants, shows....

10.5 Take a SD harbor cruise from downtown.

11. Go ocean fishing at many Sport fishing operators on Mission Bay.
The Super 80's has 2 for 1 deal where parents can take along a child
for $80 full day fishing, with all takles, hooks, baits and helping
staffs. I got a lot of sea bass, baracuda and tuna with my 5 year old
son.

12. Visit Tijuana, Mexico right across the border. Buy local arts
and crafts very cheap at their Artist Village, within walking distance
from the border...

13. Make an appointment with the US Navy to visit the working aircraft
carriers that anchor a few miles off shore. QUite a show.

There are probably a lot more interesting things to do. I will post
more as I recall them.

Have a great time with your kids.

Old September 6th, 2004, 08:13 PM
Todd Kunioka

"standiann" wrote in message alkabouttravelling.com...
My husband and I, and 4 teens ages 13-17 will be in the area December 26 to
Jan 2 WE have made our reservations already at the Homewood Suites in
Garden Grove and than Days Inn hotel circle in San Diego Any comments on
these hotels? our Plans include the Disney parks, Universal Studios,
starline tour, the zoo and seaworld. We will be in San Diego for New
Years Eve and Day. Any suggestions on what to do. How about First Night
San Diego any comments? Any beaches recommendations for surfing. What is
the weather like, what should we pack? WE are looking for any advice,
safety, travel, attractions, must sees, driving you name it we are ready
to hear it.

For the LA area, figure daytime highs likely between 55-80, with
nighttime lows likely between 40-55. More exteme weather is a
possiblity, but this pretty much covers it.

I don't surf, but I do know that the ocean off southern CA tends to be
cold. Wetsuits would be a good idea. As for where, I would tend to
think surfing magazines and related websites would be a good place to
ask.

TK

Old September 6th, 2004, 11:48 PM
L'enqu?teur

In my opinion, the best places/rates a
- US Airways (financial problems but very good service)
- Disneyland, Anaheim
- SeaWorld, SD
- San Diego Zoo
- National Car Rental (the service is so much better than Alamo and
the price is so much lower than Hertz...)
- Hotels (promo code included in the link):
http://www.hotelclub.net/enter.asp?i...2Easp%3Fid%3D5

- Grand Canyon WOW!
- Bryce Canyon WOW!

-Don't go in Tijuana. It's not MEXICO!

Peter

Old September 19th, 2004, 06:51 AM
Cindy Mao

Nice list. Thanks.
I also have a plan to visit southern CA this winter. But I just want
to take a quick view of there. So what places are most worthwhile to
go in just one week?