Question about washing clothes with woolite in sink

Old April 20th, 2005, 08:22 PM
B Vaughan

On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 17:07:59 GMT, (Alvin Epstein)
wrote:

On 23 Nov 2004 23:28:07 -0800,
(Sanjay Punjab)
wrote:

I will be traveling oversees and plan on using woolite packets to wash
clothes in the hotel sink. Does woolite leave the clothes dried out
after they hang dry (jeans, polo shirts, t-shirts). Would it be a good
idea for bring a small squeeze bottle of fabric softener? Thanks

I'm surprised noone has mentioned IVORY SNOW which I've used (in
powder form) for years. Same results as powdered WOOLITE.

Any powdered detergent is not easy to rinse out of clothing. I use my
shampoo to wash clothes in the hotel sink.

However, don't even think about washing jeans in the sink. Most hotels
forbid doing laundry in the sink, but they will tolerate washing of
socks and underwear. Jeans will drip all over the hotel room (which is
why hotels don't want you to do laundry) and won't be fully dry for
around 4 days (even more if it's damp and chilly) By the time they're
dry, they'll probably also be mildewed, because you can get out much
water by hand, as a washing machine's spin cycle does. I only wash
very lightweight things in a hotel sink. Then I wring them very
tightly, then roll them in a dry towel and twist the towel very
tightly. Then I hang them on the towel rack in the bathroom, or on a
hanger in the closet with something under them in case they still
drip. A t-shirt might be dry in a day or two in a warm climate, but it
will be very wrinkled. Anything heavier than that, I wouldn't wash.

If you need to launder heavy clothing, take it to a laundry or a
laundromat. Actually, I don't take even jeans with me when I travel,
because if they somehow get wet, they take forever to dry. They also
take up too much room in the suitcase.
--
Barbara Vaughan
My email address is my first initial followed by my surname at libero dot it
Old April 25th, 2005, 07:49 AM
Mike O'Sullivan

John Bermont wrote:

Don't use the sink. Use the bidet. See more tips in the laundry section
of my page at
http://www.enjoy-europe.com/hte/chap05/clothes.htm
John Bermont

Can't remember when I last saw a bidet in France. They all seem to have
been ripped out. Always been useful for socks!
Old April 25th, 2005, 08:51 AM
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Mike O'Sullivan wrote:

John Bermont wrote:

Don't use the sink. Use the bidet. See more tips in the laundry
section of my page at
http://www.enjoy-europe.com/hte/chap05/clothes.htm
John Bermont

Can't remember when I last saw a bidet in France. They all seem to have
been ripped out. Always been useful for socks!

Only place I ever encountered one was the Hotel Amigo in
Bruxelles.

Old April 26th, 2005, 01:15 AM
Frank F. Matthews

Mike O'Sullivan wrote:

John Bermont wrote:

Don't use the sink. Use the bidet. See more tips in the laundry
section of my page at
http://www.enjoy-europe.com/hte/chap05/clothes.htm
John Bermont

Can't remember when I last saw a bidet in France. They all seem to have
been ripped out. Always been useful for socks!

The villa we stayed at outside Florence last month had one. So they
still exist in Italy.

Old April 28th, 2005, 06:35 PM
Mike O'Sullivan

Frank F. Matthews wrote:

Can't remember when I last saw a bidet in France. They all seem to
have been ripped out. Always been useful for socks!

The villa we stayed at outside Florence last month had one. So they
still exist in Italy.

Joke: English tourist in an Italian hotel room. "is this for washing the
baby in?". Hotelier, "No Madame, it's for washing the baby out"