17 mile drive by motorbike

Old July 5th, 2005, 11:08 PM
C.d.N.P.

Default 17 mile drive by motorbike

CIAO!

We are two people coming from Italy and next august we'll make the US coast
to coast tour with our italian motorbike;

departu New York arrival: San Francisco.

We would like to ride the famous "17 mile drive" along the pacific coast
(from Monterey to San Francisco). Could you give any suggestion about this
trail?

First of all: We heard that motorcycles are not allowed. Is it true?

Does it really worth it?

Thank you for the attention and for the kind reply you will give us.
Regards

Matteo and Stella

mailto: (remove NOSPAM)

Varese - Italy

Old July 5th, 2005, 11:22 PM
PeterL

C.d.N.P. wrote:
CIAO!

We are two people coming from Italy and next august we'll make the US coast
to coast tour with our italian motorbike;

departu New York arrival: San Francisco.

We would like to ride the famous "17 mile drive" along the pacific coast
(from Monterey to San Francisco). Could you give any suggestion about this
trail?

First of all: We heard that motorcycles are not allowed. Is it true?

Does it really worth it?

Thank you for the attention and for the kind reply you will give us.
Regards

The 17 mile drive is not from Monterey to San Francisco. It's a drive
along Pebble Beach in Carmel/Monterey. Yes it's definitely worth the
drive, very scenic. I don't remember if motobikes are not allowed.

Matteo and Stella

mailto: (remove NOSPAM)

Varese - Italy

Old July 5th, 2005, 11:54 PM
Rayvan

They even forbid a stock Gold Wing. Some say it's noise, but I don't
think so as loud cars aren't a problem. If you want to see it, I
recommend you rent a hot rod with open pipes.

Old July 5th, 2005, 11:59 PM
Jack Hunt

On 5 Jul 2005 15:22:22 -0700, "PeterL" wrote:

The 17 mile drive is not from Monterey to San Francisco. It's a drive
along Pebble Beach in Carmel/Monterey. Yes it's definitely worth the
drive, very scenic. I don't remember if motobikes are not allowed.

Unless they have changed it, motorcycles are not allowed on 17 Mile
Drive.

--
Jack
Old July 6th, 2005, 12:26 AM
Paul Calman

It is a nice drive, if you like expensive houses and golf courses. The same
beautiful coastline extends south from Monterrey through Big Sur to Cambria,
nearly undeveloped, and that is something that you should not miss.

--
Paul Calman, Hathaway Pines, California

Old July 6th, 2005, 12:39 AM
Paladin

On Wed, 6 Jul 2005 00:08:34 +0200, "C.d.N.P."
wrote:

CIAO!

We are two people coming from Italy and next august we'll make the US coast
to coast tour with our italian motorbike;

departu New York arrival: San Francisco.

We would like to ride the famous "17 mile drive" along the pacific coast
(from Monterey to San Francisco). Could you give any suggestion about this
trail?

The north end is he
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Del+Mo...CA+93950&hl=en

You can check the map, get a satellite view.

First of all: We heard that motorcycles are not allowed. Is it true?

Correct. It is a private toll road and they may their own rules.
See: http://www.canyonchasers.net/travel/...lifornia02.php

Does it really worth it?

Given the rest of what the U.S. has to offer a motorcyclist, I'd say
no. May I suggest as alternatives the Sonora Pass (see:
http://www.pashnit.com/roads/cal/Highway108.htm ) and the Avenue of
the Giants (see: http://www.pashnit.com/roads/cal/Redwoods.htm )

Old July 6th, 2005, 03:37 AM

We heard that motorcycles are not allowed. Is it true?

Unfortunately I don't think motorcyles are allowed on the 17-Mile Drive
or in the town of Carmel which is at the southern end of the Drive.

You might want to check the official web site for Carmel at
www.carmelcalifornia.com and see if they tell how to contact the Carmel
tourism office, as I'm sure they could tell you for sure.

Does it really worth it?

It's a magnificent drive that's definitely worth it.

If you can't take your motorcycle, maybe you could spend the night in
Monterey (at the north end of the drive) and then rent a car for a day
or take a bus tour. See the 17-mile drive, then spend some time in
Carmel which has a nice public beach and also a very nice Spanish
mission that you can tour. There's also a very nice state park just
south of Carmel called Point Lobos which has walking trails that have
dramatic ocean views.

And there are other areas in California that also have magnificent
oceans drives; for example Big Sur (further south). But one of the
nice things about the 17-Mile Drive is that at some of the overlooks
you can walk right to the ocean's edge, which you can't do at many of
the other scenic drives.

Enjoy your trip,

Jim

Old July 6th, 2005, 06:11 AM
Uncle Vic

Once upon a time in rec.motorcycles, dear sweet C.d.N.P.
) made the light shine upon us with this:

We would like to ride the famous "17 mile drive" along the pacific
coast (from Monterey to San Francisco). Could you give any suggestion
about this trail?

It's a 2-lane highway along the coast. Nice, too. If you have the time,
visit Red White and Blue Beach, just north of Santa Cruz. It's a nude
beach, on private property, and requires a $12 admission fee. Don't
forget the sunscreen, but do forget about getting arrested. You have the
property owner's permission to be naked on his property, anywhere beyond
the trailer parked at the entrance, which includes about 2 miles of
beach. Last time I was there it was mild (72 degrees) and extremely
windy. Most of the sun worshipers gathered along the northern cliffside,
where the wind was cut sown quite a bit.

My suggestion would be to continue north past the Golden Gate Bridge,
probably the best portion of Coast Highway in the state as far as I hear.
I'm going to ride it toward the end of this month, and I won't forget the
backup batteries for the digicam this time.

--
Uncle Vic
aa#2011

http://home.comcast.net/~vickman/
______________

'03 XVS650A
'04 XVS1100
Old July 6th, 2005, 06:16 AM
Uncle Vic

Once upon a time in rec.motorcycles, dear sweet Paul Calman
) made the light shine upon us with this:

It is a nice drive, if you like expensive houses and golf courses. The
same beautiful coastline extends south from Monterrey through Big Sur
to Cambria, nearly undeveloped, and that is something that you should
not miss.

You got that right. Best 100 miles you'll ever ride.

http://home.comcast.net/~vickman/trip8.htm

Old July 6th, 2005, 06:54 AM
Paul Calman

You got that right. Best 100 miles you'll ever ride.
http://home.comcast.net/~vickman/trip8.htm

The 30 miles of the Amalfi drive in Italy is far more interesting, but a lot
slower

--
Paul Calman, Hathaway Pines, California