How to bring a suit with me overseas?

Old July 18th, 2005, 05:13 PM
James Silverton

Bernhard wrote on 18 Jul 2005 08:31:52 -0700:

BM wrote:
?? I'm going to a wedding in France next month (I live in the
?? USA). I've never taken a suit with me on a plane before,
?? so I'm wondering how I will do that. I will be flying in
?? coach class. Will I be able to bring one of those
?? long suit bags on as carry-on baggage? Somehow I doubt I
?? will be able to do that. So how do people bring suits when
?? flying? Do they have their suit bag be checked baggage?
?? Or do they just fold the suits up and pack them into their
?? regular luggage?

BM You can use a garment bag, but unless they will hang it in
BM the plane (which they'll only do if you fly business class)
BM it's useless.

The zippered holder with hangers that is part of the nylon
suitcase that I check in seems to work very well for up to two
suits even if it is folded once. I do take it out and hang up
the holder on arrival at my hotel. The last time I used it, the
suit survived two wearings and four flights (two of them
transatlantic) without even needing recourse to the pants
presser in my hotel rooms. The suit was still wearable on my
return home. (By the way, doesn't cleaning cost an arm and a
leg?)

There is another approach which is to fold the components of a
suit around a thin flat board and remove the board before
packing. A version of this with a mesh holder that I use for
dress shirts worked very well with board uppermost. The things
are available at REI among other places.

James Silverton.

Old July 18th, 2005, 05:35 PM
Thomas

I'm going to a wedding in France next month (I live in the USA). I've
never
taken a suit with me on a plane before, so I'm wondering how I will do
that.
I will be flying in coach class. Will I be able to bring one of those
long
suit bags on as carry-on baggage? Somehow I doubt I will be able to do
that.
So how do people bring suits when flying? Do they have their suit bag be
checked baggage? Or do they just fold the suits up and pack them into
their
regular luggage?

Put the suit in a carrier, then roll it carfully around the hanger. When you
arrive, hang the suit up and it will be fine.

Old July 18th, 2005, 05:57 PM

Some suits travel better then others.
Polyester - wool bllends seem to be the best.

Some suitcases (hard side suitcases) are set up to hang a suit in them
while traveling.
If you have a less expensive suitcase, you can fold a suit. Either way
it is going to come out a bit wrinkled.

The thing to do - once you get to your destination, before wearing the
suit -

Turn the shower on hot and hang the suit in the bathroom for 10-15
minutes in the steam.
This will take out most of the wrinkles from traveling.

You can also purchase a "Travel Iron" and touch up the suit before
wearing it. Most the time the steam thing does the trick.

roland

Old July 18th, 2005, 06:52 PM
MC

wrote in message
ups.com...
Don't be cheap!

Just buy a business class ticket, then the cabin crew will hang it up
for you.

Economy is only for leisure travellers who don't mind being dressed
casually.

What a load of drivel.

MC

Old July 18th, 2005, 07:54 PM
Treb

wrote in message
ups.com...
Don't be cheap!

Just buy a business class ticket, then the cabin crew will hang it up
for you.

Economy is only for leisure travellers who don't mind being dressed
casually.

That was one step BEYOND drivel........

LOL

Hahahahahaha.......................

Sure, now you open the debate:

Cost difference of business class versus buying a new suit upon
arrival..............

LOL

Hahahahahaha................

Treb

Old July 18th, 2005, 10:04 PM
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

James Silverton wrote:

The zippered holder with hangers that is part of the nylon suitcase that
I check in seems to work very well for up to two suits even if it is
folded once.

That's what I was trying to describe when I mentioned a
"compartment" in my roll-on case. I generally include a
nice pantsuit and a blazer in my travels - I've also used it
for a "dressy" dress, with satisfactory results.