Do hotels in the USA have minimum age requirements?

Old October 27th, 2005, 05:35 AM

Default Do hotels in the USA have minimum age requirements?

Hello,

My son who is 18-years-old and lives in England is hoping to travel to
America on his own. I believe that some hotels may have minimum age
restrictions or requirements to be 21 years of age to check into a room
due to state laws. Do you know of any states or cities where my son can
travel and stay on his own at 18-years old?. He is keen on staying in
New York City. Is it a New York state law or just some certain hotels?.
Any previous experience or if you know anywhere that would allow him to
stay in NYC or any other big cities please could you reply.

Many Thanks,

Martin Peakall.

P.S. I also noticed the following he
http://www.virginholidays.co.uk/usa/...mportant.shtml
For those wishing to travel unaccompanied by a parent or guardian the
minimum age is 18 years. However, some hotels and resorts do not allow
under-21s in a room by themselves - please check at time of booking
for details.

Old October 27th, 2005, 07:00 AM
Brian K

On 10/27/2005 12:35 AM after palpating a
Ginkgo, electronically interjected:

[...]

Most states have a minimum age requirement, I believe it is 21. New
York City is a very expensive stay for an 18 year old. Average rates
are $125.00 usd per night. The only thing I can think of is perhaps a
youth hostel. You might want to do a search on New York City and
hostel as key words. Some of these are bunk bed dormitory type rooms
while others are basic but quite nice singles. Many hotels charge the
same rate regardless if one or two stay in the room. Economically it
would benefit your son if he had an older but not really old travel
companion who can split costs with him.

Perhaps your son has an older brother or cousin who meets age
requirements that can travel along? Note: Most rental car agencies in
the US also have age restrictions. Usually the minimum to rent a car is
24 yo. If you find a rental agency that has a lower age limit, a costly
surcharge is almost always involved.

--
________
Brian M. Kochera
Old October 27th, 2005, 09:48 AM
B Vaughan

On Thu, 27 Oct 2005 06:00:08 GMT, Brian K
wrote:

On 10/27/2005 12:35 AM after palpating a
Ginkgo, electronically interjected:

Hello,

My son who is 18-years-old and lives in England is hoping to travel to
America on his own. I believe that some hotels may have minimum age
restrictions or requirements to be 21 years of age to check into a room
due to state laws. Do you know of any states or cities where my son can
travel and stay on his own at 18-years old?. He is keen on staying in
New York City.

Most states have a minimum age requirement, I believe it is 21.

I can't find any evidence that New York has a minimum age requirement.
Doing a google search, I see several hotels and hostels in Manhattan
that specifically mention an 18-year minimum age. If your son is
mature enough to handle the responsibilities and avoid the pitfalls of
travel, I see no reason why he shouldn't go. My daughter was
travelling around China on her own at about the same age.

I would recommend a hostel for a young person travelling alone,
because of the companionship of other young people. Many hostels have
private rooms if your son doesn't want to stay in a dormitory.

The Big Apple Hostel is a private hostel which has got good comments
in this group. (I've never stayed there.) The location is convenient
and there are private rooms.

The YMCA has two residences in midtown Manhattan. I've stayed in the
one on the east side (The Vanderbilt Y, and found it comfortable and
convenient. The location of the West Side Y is probably more
convenient for sightseeing.

The HI Hostel on the Upper West Side is a bit out of the way, but it
is an excellent hostel and has a very international clientele. It also
has a kitchen, which would help your son save some money on meals.
However, he may have to wash some plates before using them, and I
wouldn't count on finding your milk when you get back in the evening.

Both the Y and the HI Hostel have air conditioning, which is important
in NY in the summer. I imagine the Big Apple also has it.

The guide book Let's Go, New York has excellent advice for the young
traveller. It can be found in most well furnished book stores in
Europe. It is written by Harvard university students and updated every
year.
--
Barbara Vaughan

My email address is my first initial followed by my last name at libero dot it.
Old October 27th, 2005, 02:18 PM

my guess is, if he has a credit card in HIS name, to leave at the front
desk, and the reservations are made under the same name, he will have
no problems.....

We used to go to NYC all the time when we were like 16--19 and never
once had a problem checking in.....we would just get the oldest looking
among us to book/check in, and we would have to put up a pile of cash
as a deposit on the room, or sometimes they would let us leave the CC #
of whose ever parents booked the room for us on file......

Chuck

Old October 27th, 2005, 04:03 PM
Smiles

No problem I have traveled from NY to Chicago alot pus California

Most will not alow residents under 18 or 21 BUT if you are from out of
state no problem. they do not want kids parting away from home

Try Motel 6 or Motel8 they used to have a value card stay 10 nights
have one free

He will have to use bus train or plane to get around
Most car rentals require 25years under 21 insurance cost $100 per day

tell him from me enjoy his visit the pubs are not like England keep an
eye on his back

thanks

Old October 27th, 2005, 10:53 PM

Hello,

Thanks to everybody who has replied. I have a few more questions. Once
again i would be very grateful for any answers.

1) Can anybody recommend either the YMCA West Side (5 West 63rd Street)
or YMCA Vanderbilt (224 East 47th Street)?.

2) Does anybody else know anything on minimum age limits to stay in NYC
hotels?. My son is 18 and would be travelling alone.

3) My son is a big fan of the New York Yankees. Although the regular
season does not begin until April he would possibly be wanting to visit
Yankee Stadium. Would you recommend that he visits The Bronx and is it
easy to reach via public transport from the centre of New York City and
how long roughly would the duration of the journey take?.

Thanks in advance once again for your help.

Old October 27th, 2005, 11:27 PM
Brian K

On 10/27/2005 5:53 PM after palpating a
Ginkgo, electronically interjected:

Hello,

Thanks to everybody who has replied. I have a few more questions. Once
again i would be very grateful for any answers.

1) Can anybody recommend either the YMCA West Side (5 West 63rd Street)
or YMCA Vanderbilt (224 East 47th Street)?.

2) Does anybody else know anything on minimum age limits to stay in NYC
hotels?. My son is 18 and would be travelling alone.

3) My son is a big fan of the New York Yankees. Although the regular
season does not begin until April he would possibly be wanting to visit
Yankee Stadium. Would you recommend that he visits The Bronx and is it
easy to reach via public transport from the centre of New York City and
how long roughly would the duration of the journey take?.

Thanks in advance once again for your help.

To be absolutely certain you could call each hotel that is under
consideration. Or, you could use the services of a Travel Agent who
would know this information. Either way, you should be able to make the
determination.

Yankee Stadium? He can take a subway there but most likely it will be
closed. By that time the Yankees will be in Florida. The rest of the
Bronx? There's the zoo, but other than that there isn't much to see in
the Bronx. His time is better spent in Manhattan.

--
________
Brian M. Kochera
Old October 28th, 2005, 01:50 AM
Morton

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello,

3) My son is a big fan of the New York Yankees. Although the regular
season does not begin until April he would possibly be wanting to visit
Yankee Stadium. Would you recommend that he visits The Bronx and is it
easy to reach via public transport from the centre of New York City and
how long roughly would the duration of the journey take?.

Check out http://tinyurl.com/bob8r

Your son should visit the Bronx. It's really not bad. Manhatten is great but
it can feel a bit sterile. As long as he stays away from obviously roughs
areas he will be fine in the Bronx. You can get to the Bronx on the 1, the
train alongside Broadway that goes all the way up Manhatten, ending up near
Van Cortlandt park (where my cousins used to live).

As to getting to the stadium, as their website says:

The Yankee Stadium Subway stop is located right outside the Stadium at the
corner of 161st St. and River Ave. The Stadium is conveniently reached by
several subway lines and a trip from midtown Manhattan takes less than 25
minutes. The #4 train, as well as the B (weekdays only) and D trains make
stops at 161st St./Yankee Stadium. Metro North train service to Connecticut
and Westchester County is available at the 125th St. subway stop.

Old October 28th, 2005, 07:31 AM
Pan

On Thu, 27 Oct 2005 22:27:15 GMT, Brian K
wrote:

[snip]
Yankee Stadium? He can take a subway there but most likely it will be
closed.

[snip]

Apparently not:

http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/NASAp...dium_tours.jsp

Michael

If you would like to send a private email to me, please take out the NOTRASH. Please do not email me something which you also posted.
Old October 29th, 2005, 12:48 PM
B Vaughan

On 27 Oct 2005 14:53:52 -0700, wrote:

Hello,

Thanks to everybody who has replied. I have a few more questions. Once
again i would be very grateful for any answers.

1) Can anybody recommend either the YMCA West Side (5 West 63rd Street)
or YMCA Vanderbilt (224 East 47th Street)?.

I've stayed several times in the YMCA Vanderbilt. I would certainly
stay there again. The clientele is very international. There were
always several student groups from Europe when I was there, as well as
other young people travelling on their own. The first time I was
there, there was a good self-service cafeteria in the building that
offered inexpensive, if not exciting meals, but it was closed for
renovations the last time I was there.

Guests have free access to the athletic facilities, including exercise
equipment and a pool.

Bathrooms are shared and are at the end of fairly long corridors, but
I've never had to wait for a shower. The whole facility is clean and
fairly well maintained, but very basic and a bit institutional
looking.

I would really prefer the location of the West Side Y, but the
Vanderbilt Y is convenient to my daughter's office and to the research
institute I do consulting for.

3) My son is a big fan of the New York Yankees. Although the regular
season does not begin until April he would possibly be wanting to visit
Yankee Stadium. Would you recommend that he visits The Bronx and is it
easy to reach via public transport from the centre of New York City and
how long roughly would the duration of the journey take?.

You can reach Yankee Stadium by subway (metro to Europeans). Other
than the stadium, the neighborhood has nothing of interest and the
Bronx is one part of New York where I wouldn't recommend wandering
around randomly.