Electric outlets at campgrounds

Old February 5th, 2006, 03:53 PM posted to alt.rv,rec.outdoors.rv-travel,rec.travel.usa-canada

Default Electric outlets at campgrounds

Larry Cohen wrote:

That setup seems very lopsided, to have everything BUT the rear AC on the
same leg! We ran into an overload problem in the cold running 2 1500 watt
heaters hooked up to a 50A service...one of the circuit breakers on the
inverter would trip occasionally. It would be nice to steal some of that
minimally used second leg juice for some recepticles...how easy is it to do
that to prevent heater overload????
"Haywagon" wrote in message

You did mean converter didn't you. But actually it is the circuit
breaker panel that is with the converter/charger, referred to as the
power distribution panel (pdp). Here is what I did- your circuit breaker
(cb) panel has several connections, one cb for each circuit. I have one
20amp cb labeled air conditioner (ac), you might have two, considering
you are 50amp and might have two ac units. I installed a 20amp outlet
adjacent to the pdp connected to the ac cb. this is reserved for
plugging in my 1500watt heater. You could install two 20amp outlets
connected to each ac cb knowing you would not use the heater at the same
time as the ac. Modern day ac units do not normally use as much power so
you would be able to plug a small power requirement item in at the same
time as you ran the ac. But another thing to consider is a heat strip in
the current ac unit, some units can accept a kit that has every thing
you need. I do not know how well the strip heat would work on the ducted
ac units.

--
Bill P.
just

At this time in life all that
remains is left overs, some can
be cherished as good others bad,
but the only definite is that they
are all that remains, main course is
over.
Old February 5th, 2006, 03:53 PM posted to alt.rv,rec.outdoors.rv-travel,rec.travel.usa-canada

My winter stuff is at www.wolfswords.com under the 50 amp and winter links.

Yeah, a properly wired 50 amp pole is wonderful when it's well below zero.

As for it being lopsided, the whole electrical thing is make up of one kluge
on top of another. Someone entering the hobby has to look at how RVs are
wired and wonder what fool came up with it.

Steve

"Haywagon" wrote in message
> [...]
14-50R is the proper 50 amp receptacle for a campground and it, in fact,
has 240 vac connected to it. The difference is that within most large
coachs they wire two separate 120 vac circuits, one to each side, off of
it. http://users3.ev1.net/~crossstitch/RVWiring/wiring.html
provides a complete explaination.

Old February 5th, 2006, 03:55 PM posted to alt.rv,rec.outdoors.rv-travel,rec.travel.usa-canada

Or, do some serious research and reading and learn about how to do it right.
Being here shows you've the right tools. Then, if you still can't grasp
what's going on, spend that settlement money on an electrician.

IMHO, when working on 220 volt service, if you have to ask, you need

Old February 5th, 2006, 04:33 PM posted to alt.rv,rec.outdoors.rv-travel,rec.travel.usa-canada

"Haywagon" wrote in message

You did mean converter didn't you.

No! He didn't.

Larry, don't listen to BoydBrainless. He'll get you killed. He doesn't
even know the difference between a converter and an inverter, or that
the converter wouldn't have any effect upon your AC circuits, other than
the power it would draw. After he figures out that a converter doesn't
have any AC circuit breakers to trip, he'll try to give you more stupid
and dangerous advice.

Stick around for a bit, and Bob Hatch will help you with your question.
you can trust what he tells you.

Lon
Old February 5th, 2006, 05:06 PM posted to alt.rv,rec.outdoors.rv-travel,rec.travel.usa-canada

Well....thanks for your answers and insight...Since I dont know diddly about
electricity, other than I DO NOT like being tickled by it, I will certainly
NOT mess with it myself! I think the idea of tying into the underused side
of the leg is a good way to run that extra heater...surely wont be using the
ac then!!

Old February 5th, 2006, 05:09 PM posted to alt.rv,rec.outdoors.rv-travel,rec.travel.usa-canada

Lon VanOstran wrote:

"Haywagon" wrote in message

You did mean converter didn't you.

No! He didn't.

Larry, don't listen to BoydBrainless. He'll get you killed. He doesn't
even know the difference between a converter and an inverter, or that
the converter wouldn't have any effect upon your AC circuits, other than
the power it would draw. After he figures out that a converter doesn't
have any AC circuit breakers to trip, he'll try to give you more stupid
and dangerous advice.

Stick around for a bit, and Bob Hatch will help you with your question.
you can trust what he tells you.

Lon

INVERTERS
http://www.go-rv.com/coast/do/catalo...=7&pageNum=111
CONVERTERS and pdps
http://www.go-rv.com/coast/do/catalo...=7&pageNum=102

This is directed to those that think LON knows what he is talking about.
--
Bill P.
just

Old February 5th, 2006, 05:16 PM posted to alt.rv,rec.outdoors.rv-travel,rec.travel.usa-canada

"Larry Cohen" wrote:

That setup seems very lopsided, to have everything BUT the rear AC on the
same leg! We ran into an overload problem in the cold running 2 1500 watt
heaters hooked up to a 50A service...one of the circuit breakers on the
inverter would trip occasionally. It would be nice to steal some of that
minimally used second leg juice for some recepticles...how easy is it to
do that to prevent heater overload????

It should be quite simple. Simply move some of the loads to breakers on the
other electrical bus in the entrance (circuit breaker) panel. If you're not
familiar with how an entrance panel is wired, then check the Google, the
library, or books in places such as the Home Depot or Lowe's. Don't forget
that an RV panel is *branch* panel, and so the neutral and the safety
ground are *not* to be tied together there.

--
D.J., N8DO; FMCA 147762
dj[underscore]osborn at yahoo dot com

Old February 5th, 2006, 05:39 PM posted to alt.rv,rec.outdoors.rv-travel,rec.travel.usa-canada

William Boyd wrote:

Lon VanOstran wrote:

"Haywagon" wrote in message

[...]

i am trying to figure this thread out and see how it relates to my boat.
i have a generator on my engine
and another one that runs by its self. i have inverter and converter and
air conditioner. i do not have a heater problem because when i am out i
am running the engine. but between all the info so far it looks like
lon is just a trouble maker or just dont like the other people because
as i see it he is the one wrong.
or i dont understand what he has in mind maybe the bob hatch can shed a
little light on it. i might go do a little goggling too.
i posted this on the bottom to try and make heads and tails out of the
thread.
Old February 5th, 2006, 06:20 PM posted to alt.rv,rec.outdoors.rv-travel,rec.travel.usa-canada

"Haywagon" wrote in message

14-50R is the proper 50 amp receptacle for a campground and it, in fact,
has 240 vac connected to it. The difference is that within most large
coachs they wire two separate 120 vac circuits, one to each side, off of
it. http://users3.ev1.net/~crossstitch/RVWiring/wiring.html
provides a complete explaination.

Just as a guess about the lopsided loading on the 50 amp systems.
The neutral wire would be less likely to be overloaded. And then it
could have something to do with 50amp to 30amp adapters, again I have
never had a 50 amp system. Some one that has plugged in to a 30amp
circuit using the adapter might be able to shed some light on it, I
think one of their air conditioners might not run. Or things that is on
the lesser loaded side might not be connected.

--
Bill P.
just

Old February 5th, 2006, 06:50 PM posted to alt.rv,rec.outdoors.rv-travel,rec.travel.usa-canada

"Stan Birch" wrote in message

On Sat, 4 Feb 2006 "Bob Hatch" wrote:
My guess is he's repeating things he's been told. by people that
have less than full working knowledge of RV, and electrical systems.

BTW, a couple of days ago a guy told me that Winnebago was
discontinuing 30 amp service in all its motorhomes. Starting, I
think he said, with the 2007 models, all would be 50 amp.

That move would be counter to the general trend of the remainder of
the industry which is no longer offering 50A service.

Which ones are "no longer offering 50A service". Provide a couple of links
please. I've looked at several so far and all offer 50A or have it as
standard on larger rigs.

With more
efficient modern A/Cs, mere 30A service is more than adequate to
address most RVing needs.

But with Winnebago, you never know. They seem to be incorporating a
whole lot of "$tandard" features which many of us consider somewhat
useless.

You mean "some of us". :-)
--
"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed
by the things you did not do, than the ones you did. So