Dining as a tourist in US? (buffets etc)

Old June 11th, 2006, 05:50 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

Default Dining as a tourist in US? (buffets etc)

Could anyone give a short description of dining habits for tourists in
the US? We are planning to visit Utah, Arizona and Las Vegas very soon
but we haven't ever been to the US and don't know dining traditions in
this country.

For instance, I've heard about the "buffet" concept. It's absolutely
not customary where I live. I understand it the following way: you pay
a certain amount for yourself and then may proceed to a table with food
where you can take as much as you want and are able to eat, carry it to
a separate area, and then eat. Tips are not customary (if they are,
whom should I tip?).

I also wonder whether the self-service model is widely known in the US:
you enter an area surrounded by tables with sort-of-bartenders; meat
dishes on one table, veg dishes on another table etc; you choose
several meals from different tables, then go to cashier, pay and go to
a separate are to eat. Tips are not customary (if the are, whom should
I tip?).

I think the restaurant model in the US is not much different from
Europe. Tips - 15 percent of the bill.

I would be glad to read your comments!

Old June 11th, 2006, 06:05 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

On 2006-06-11 12:50:50 -0400, "Fiance" said:

Could anyone give a short description of dining habits for tourists in
the US? We are planning to visit Utah, Arizona and Las Vegas very soon
but we haven't ever been to the US and don't know dining traditions in
this country.

For instance, I've heard about the "buffet" concept. It's absolutely
not customary where I live. I understand it the following way: you pay
a certain amount for yourself and then may proceed to a table

More likely, several tables.

with food
where you can take as much as you want and are able to eat, carry it to
a separate area, and then eat. Tips are not customary (if they are,
whom should I tip?).

I also wonder whether the self-service model is widely known in the US:
you enter an area surrounded by tables with sort-of-bartenders; meat
dishes on one table, veg dishes on another table etc; you choose
several meals from different tables, then go to cashier, pay and go to
a separate are to eat.

Sounds like a cafeteria.

Old June 11th, 2006, 06:07 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

"Fiance" wrote in news:1150044650.568473.234930
@h76g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:
For instance, I've heard about the "buffet" concept. It's absolutely
not customary where I live. I understand it the following way: you pay
a certain amount for yourself and then may proceed to a table with food
where you can take as much as you want and are able to eat, carry it to
a separate area, and then eat. Tips are not customary (if they are,
whom should I tip?).

That's pretty much the way it works. There may be a waiter or waitress who
brings you drinks and takes away dirty dishes. You can tip that person a
dollar per person or so. Quality of these places varies a lot. There are
some fancier buffets in some areas, especially Las Vegas.

I also wonder whether the self-service model is widely known in the US:

In the US, these are called cafeterias. You find in high-volume tourist
areas like national parks and amusement parks. Quality is often mediocre,
but prices are low to moderate.
Old June 11th, 2006, 06:08 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

what about tipping - do you tip in a buffet or cafeteria? (there seems
to be no people to tip as no one is approaching you)

Old June 11th, 2006, 06:20 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

When on the road, we occasionally eat at an Old Country Buffet (sometimes
Hometown Buffet...you can Google them) where we, as you say, pay a fixed
price and then proceed to a number of tables where various foods, both hot
and cold, are available. All you can eat, go back as many times as you like.
You will see some really fat people at these places! We do not tip, and I
can't explain why...we always tip at least 15 percent in restaurants. Maybe
it is because we do most of the work ourselves?

Bob Gardner

oups.com...

Old June 11th, 2006, 06:26 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

Ken raše:
In the US, these are called cafeterias. You find in high-volume tourist
areas like national parks and amusement parks. Quality is often mediocre,
but prices are low to moderate.

Thanks, but how do you, as a tourist, locate a cafeteria or buffet when
you come into a town? Of course, they don't have websites

Is there any website with recommendations on locating them, similar to
www.tripadvisor.com for hotels?

Old June 11th, 2006, 06:49 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

Fiance wrote:

Could anyone give a short description of dining habits for tourists in
the US? We are planning to visit Utah, Arizona and Las Vegas very soon
but we haven't ever been to the US and don't know dining traditions in
this country.

For instance, I've heard about the "buffet" concept. It's absolutely
not customary where I live. I understand it the following way: you pay
a certain amount for yourself and then may proceed to a table with food
where you can take as much as you want and are able to eat, carry it to
a separate area, and then eat. Tips are not customary (if they are,
whom should I tip?).

For some reason, you are still expected to leave a tip. Some places tack
on percentage for service.
I don't quite understand it. Some people insist that tipping has something
to do with ensuring good service, but at a buffet there is no service other
than deliver drinks and the bill.

I also wonder whether the self-service model is widely known in the US:
you enter an area surrounded by tables with sort-of-bartenders; meat
dishes on one table, veg dishes on another table etc; you choose
several meals from different tables, then go to cashier, pay and go to
a separate are to eat.

That sounds more like a cafeteria where you go through and get your food
then pay for it and sit down and eat. Buffets sometimes have sections with
people tending them, like someone to slice the roast or someone to grill
things. Occasionally a buffet meal is for a plate full of food. as much as
you can get on it, but more often they are all you can eat.

Buffets are not unknown in Europe. Most of the European hotels I have
stayed in had buffet breakfasts and I have had meals in them at train
stations in Denmark.

A word of caution.... buffets are usually geared toward people with huge
appetites for mediocre food. Some of them are very cheap, but not very
good. Buffets with good food are not cheap. Personally, I would rather
pay for one good dish that a lot of junk.

Tips are not customary (if the are, whom should
I tip?).

Leave the tip at the table.

Old June 11th, 2006, 06:53 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

On 11 Jun 2006 10:26:54 -0700, "Fiance" wrote:

Ken raše:
In the US, these are called cafeterias. You find in high-volume tourist
areas like national parks and amusement parks. Quality is often mediocre,
but prices are low to moderate.

Thanks, but how do you, as a tourist, locate a cafeteria or buffet when
you come into a town? Of course, they don't have websites

Is there any website with recommendations on locating them, similar to
www.tripadvisor.com for hotels?

Don't know of anything like trip advisor. There is a site

www.chowhound.com

where people recommend and discuss restaurants in many U.S.
cities. Most entries for New York City, San Francisco Bay area but
in their search field you could enter Las Vegas or name of other city
and see what comes up.

The site is not the easiest to use -- I see it is now becoming part
of CNet and will be getting new software to make navigating and
searching far easier.

You can also post a query for the city you are going to visit and
ask for recommendations -- just be clear about what kind of food
you are looking for.

Old June 11th, 2006, 08:06 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

IME there is usually a jar or box or plate somewhere to leave tips.
Just look out for it if you wish to tip.

Old June 11th, 2006, 08:50 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

On Sun, 11 Jun 2006 10:20:02 -0700, "Bob Gardner"
wrote:

When on the road, we occasionally eat at an Old Country Buffet (sometimes
Hometown Buffet...you can Google them) where we, as you say, pay a fixed
price and then proceed to a number of tables where various foods, both hot
and cold, are available. All you can eat, go back as many times as you like.
You will see some really fat people at these places!

Actually, if you think about it, unless you eat more than the average,
these buffets are not a bargain.

There are also in some large cities cafeterias where you weigh your
food and pay by the pound.
--
Barbara Vaughan

My email address is my first initial followed by my last name at libero dot it.