Dining as a tourist in US? (buffets etc)

Old June 18th, 2006, 03:28 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

Default Dining as a tourist in US? (buffets etc)

Doug McDonald wrote:

I know of no other reasons for making such a point of such a trivial
issue about a trivial restaurant chain.

That's true .... but he can be accused of exactly teh same over-posting
as you accuse me of. Let me ask: why are you

NOT

attacking HIM ..who is basically wronmg, and not I, who is basically right?

Doug McDonald

Old June 18th, 2006, 06:06 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

On 2006-06-18 08:49:50 -0400, Doug McDonald
said:

That's true .... but he can be accused of exactly teh same over-posting
as you accuse me of. Let me ask: why are you
attacking HIM ..who is basically wronmg, and not I, who is basically right?

And who is the "HIM" who is basically "wronmg", and why are you
basically right about this when you're basically "wronmg" about
spelling? And who made you the pope anyway?

Old June 20th, 2006, 08:03 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

Don Kirkman wrote:

Me, too, pretty much. One slight advantage of locations like
Denny's/Stuckey's/even McDonald's for travelers is that within narrow
limits the menu, food and ambience will be the same anywhere you find
one in the US or Canada.

Wow, I had no idea that Stuckey's was still around. All the ones in
California have closed.
Old June 20th, 2006, 08:19 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

IMHO, Dennys is just passable, many people like it for having the same stuff
wherever they go. Peronally I try to avoid these franchises, but if I must,
I prefer Perkins, or sometimes Crackel Barrel or Bob Evans.

wrote in message
oups.com...

On 2006-06-12 00:01:47 -0400, (Todd Michel McComb)
said:

Many
of the places mentioned in this thread are horrible; I would rather
skip eating that day.

Could you give examples, please?

Dennys.

Old June 20th, 2006, 05:12 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

I would prefer Perkins but it is geographically limited. Dennys would
be my next choice over Cracker Barrel. Bob Evans I haven't been in for
far too long to even evaluate.

Richard Bornstein wrote:
IMHO, Dennys is just passable, many people like it for having the same stuff
wherever they go. Peronally I try to avoid these franchises, but if I must,
I prefer Perkins, or sometimes Crackel Barrel or Bob Evans.

wrote in message
oups.com...

Old June 20th, 2006, 06:40 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

"Frank F. Matthews" wrote:

I would prefer Perkins but it is geographically limited. Dennys would
be my next choice over Cracker Barrel. Bob Evans I haven't been in for
far too long to even evaluate.

There was a Cracker Barrel near where I worked and we went there a few times
because some of the guys liked the salad bar, but the rest of the meals were so
bad that we stopped going there. My one and only experience with Bob Evans was a
breakfast (in Manasas) and it was pretty good. No complaints at all.

Old June 20th, 2006, 07:27 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

It seems to me I heard somewhere that SMS wrote in article
:

Don Kirkman wrote:

Me, too, pretty much. One slight advantage of locations like
Denny's/Stuckey's/even McDonald's for travelers is that within narrow
limits the menu, food and ambience will be the same anywhere you find
one in the US or Canada.

Wow, I had no idea that Stuckey's was still around. All the ones in
California have closed.

I didn't intend to imply that they still existed; I was just using the
name as a generic "road-side kill" categorizing a class of eateries.

I, a lifelong Californian, can't remember ever seeing a Stuckey's here;
to me they've always seemed to flow to the southeast corner of the US.
--
Don Kirkman
Old June 20th, 2006, 08:48 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

On 2006-06-20 12:12:48 -0400, "Frank F. Matthews"
said:

I would prefer Perkins but it is geographically limited. Dennys would
be my next choice over Cracker Barrel.

That (Denny's vs. Cracker Barrel) is a little like comparing strappado
with burning at the stake.

Old June 21st, 2006, 07:30 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

In article ,
Don Kirkman wrote:
It seems to me I heard somewhere that SMS wrote in article
:

Wow, I had no idea that Stuckey's was still around. All the ones in
California have closed.

I didn't intend to imply that they still existed;

http://www.stuckeys.com/search.php

Indeed, there are none in California.

Even in South Carolina (next door to its home state of Georgia), the
standalone Stuckey's is almost extinct. Almost all of them are part of
convenience stores, including the nearest one to me, the "Stuckey's at Hot
Spot Shell of Enoree" along I-26 north of here.

Sic transit gloria mundi...

--
Jon Bell Presbyterian College