Pass the border to Canada from the USA - 99 HW

Old April 21st, 2006, 05:03 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

Default Pass the border to Canada from the USA - 99 HW

Hi,

I intend to traving to the USA on May.
I'm thinking about visiting my uncle living on Vancouver Canada.
I plean to use the HW 99 from Seattel to Vancouver using a rental car.
I have an Israely passport and a visa to the USA.

Do I need an extra visa to Canada ?
How long is the to cross the botder to \ from Canada on Sunday moring
on May?

10x,

Liz.

Old April 21st, 2006, 05:34 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

Hi Liz,

According to this page:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/visas.html

....Israelis do not need a visa if they are "national passport holders." I'm
not sure what that means, and if you're not you may want to contact the
Canadian Embassy.

You should also make sure your US Visa allows you to enter the USA twice.

You'll travel Interstate 5 to the Canadian border and then you'll be on
Highway 99, which turns into "Oak Street" in Vancouver proper.

How long is the to cross the botder to \ from Canada on Sunday moring
on May?

Anything from a few minutes to an hour.

Cheers,
Geoff Glave
Vancouver, Canada

oups.com...

Old April 21st, 2006, 05:48 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

Liz writes:
I intend to traving to the USA on May.
I'm thinking about visiting my uncle living on Vancouver Canada.

Your English is a little unclear. There is the city of Vancouver
and there is Vancouver Island. These are two different places.
Normally we use "on" with islands and "in" with cities. I assume
you mean the city.

I plean to use the HW 99 from Seattel to Vancouver using a rental car.

No, you leave Seattle on Interstate highway 5 (called "I-5"). This is
the main road running north and south from Seattle. When you enter
Canada it becomes British Columbia highway 99 and goes to Vancouver.

I have an Israely passport and a visa to the USA.

Do I need an extra visa to Canada ?

For things like border crossing requirements, you don't want to
believe things some random person in a newsgroup tells you.
However, I think you can believe this Canadian government web page

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/visas.html

which say that Israeli citizens with a national passport do not need
a visa to enter Canada.

But note that you also have to re-enter the United States from Canada.
You will need to be sure that your US visa is valid for that.

How long is the to cross the botder to \ from Canada on Sunday moring
on May?

Sunday morning is not usually a busy travel time. I would be surprised
if it took as much as 10 minutes. However, I could be wrong. I don't
have much experience with this specific crossing. And of course it's
always possible that there will be a special alert that day.

There are other crossing points besides the one on I-5 / BC 99.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "Pleasant dreams!"

Old April 23rd, 2006, 09:21 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

Thank u all, you help me a lot.

Can I travel to Vancouver, BC the city, by train ?
From Seattle to Vancouver and back to Seattle ?

10x,

Liz

Old April 23rd, 2006, 11:38 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

Liz writes:
Can I travel to Vancouver, BC the city, by train ?
From Seattle to Vancouver and back to Seattle ?

Yes. There is one train each day. It runs from Seattle to Vancouver
in the evening and comes back in the morning. It is supposed to take
about 4 hours, but I would not exactly trust that. Delays at the
border may be more likely if you go by train, because they have to
stop the train until everyone is cleared. (At least, that's what
I've experienced at other US/Canada border crossings; I haven't used
this train.) You need a reservation. See http://www.amtrak.com.
Note that Amtrak provides bus services as well as the one train each
day; other companies also operate buses.

Warning: There are *two* cities named Vancouver, which *both* have
train service to Seattle. Be sure you specify Vancouver, BC (Canada).
The other Vancouver is in the state of Washington (WA), some distance
south of Seattle.
--
Mark Brader | "...he entertained the notion that I was cribbing from
Toronto | other [students' exams] until it was pointed out that

Old April 23rd, 2006, 11:57 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

wrote:
Thank u all, you help me a lot.

Can I travel to Vancouver, BC the city, by train ?
From Seattle to Vancouver and back to Seattle ?

Amtrak runs a daily train between Vancouver and Seattle. The
northbound train leaves Seattle at 7:45am, and the southbound train
leaves Vancouver at 6:00pm. Travel time between the two cities is about
four hours.

There are also trains that run between Seattle and Bellingham; Amtrak
operates a bus between Bellingham and Vancouver that will connect with these
trains.

http://www.amtrak.com/timetable/apr06/W32.pdf

If you go by car, the Interstate 5 (Peach Arch) border crossing is a nice
crossing, surrounded by provincial and state parks on either side, but it
tends to be busy. If you want a less busy crossing, take exit 275 off of
I-5 to the Douglas crossing instead. It is usually much less busy. Once
across you can easily reconnect with Hwy 99 to Vancouver via 8th Avenue.

--
K.
Old April 24th, 2006, 07:35 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

Can I travel to Vancouver, BC the city, by train ?
From Seattle to Vancouver and back to Seattle ?

Yes-
www.amtrak.com

SEA to VAC

The 510 Cascades train

Old April 24th, 2006, 06:22 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

Rudy wrote:
Can I travel to Vancouver, BC the city, by train ?
From Seattle to Vancouver and back to Seattle ?

Yes-
www.amtrak.com

SEA to VAC

The 510 Cascades train

Hi Rudy ,

Where is the Passport control ?
Do the train stop on the border for Passport control ?

Liz.

Old April 24th, 2006, 06:49 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

Do the train stop on the border for Passport control ?

I have never ridden the train but this is my understanding - Officers
board the train for passport control.

Cheers,
Geoff Glave
Vancouver, Canada