Travel-route suggestions for Australia?

Old September 19th, 2003, 06:39 AM
vicki Steven

Default Travel-route suggestions for Australia?

in article , Hallvard Tangeraas at
wrote on 19/9/03 10:46 AM:

A lot of interesting replies here, but also confusing as different
people have different thoughts about places. I guess that's just the way
it is :-)

The main "problem" for me is that I really don't know much about
Australia, and because of this I have a hard time figuring out a
suitable route. Since I haven't been there I don't know what would
interest me or not, but the things I definitely don't want to miss out
on after having left Australia is:

(snip)
I'm thinking about an option as follows:

Singapore-Bali-Darwin (international flight)
Darwin-Alice Springs (local flight)
Alice Springs-Ayers Rock-Adelaide-Melbourne-Canberra.. (rest of east
coast)-Cairns (bus/train)

or....

Singapore-Bali-Alice Springs (international flight)
Alice Springs-Ayers Rock (bus/train?)
Ayers Rock-Adelaide (local flight)
Adelaide-Melbourne-Canberra-
Sydney...(rest of east coast)-Cairns (bus/train)

Not sure what kind of International ticket you have but generally Cairns to
AKL would be the most expensive trans-tasman option so an alternative MIGHT
be to fly to Darwin, Fly to Alice or Uluru and then Fly to Cairns. This
will knock out huge expanses of desert/arid regions - fascinating if you
have the time but missable if time is short. IMO the East Coast route needs
about 1 month minimum - add a week each for SYD, MEL & the NT and you have
7-8 weeks at a reasonable pace.

Then do the beaten tourist route down the coast from Cairns to SYD or MEL
and fly to NZ from there. Air fares between CHC and SYD/MEL are now very
competitive.

Vicki

Old September 19th, 2003, 10:41 AM
Jason

On Thu, 18 Sep 2003 22:46:45 +0000, Hallvard Tangeraas wrote:

The main "problem" for me is that I really don't know much about
Australia, and because of this I have a hard time figuring out a
suitable route. Since I haven't been there I don't know what would

I've written up my last 4 trips on my website, which should give you some
idea of typical places that backpackers visit. I dive a lot, but there's
plenty of non-scuba stuff too. I did a 5 day trip to Ayers Rock, King's
Canyon and Palm valley with Sahara Tours last time which I'd thoroughly
recommend.

I think you'd also be advised to get hold of a copy of a guidebook like
Lonely Planet and have a read through it.

Jason

--
See http://www.scuba-addict.co.uk/ for Caribbean trip reports
including Cuba, Grand Bahama, Barbados, St Lucia and Mexico

Old September 19th, 2003, 10:43 PM
Tim Hochgrebe

Default Travel-route suggestions for Australia? - Divers check tis out

For those of you interested in exploring Australia underwater, whether
you are into diving, snorkelling or want to learn how to do it ...
please check out http://www.underwater.com.au - this is a
comprehensive site on everything underwater in Australia .. all dive
shops, liveaboards, charter and day boats with links to each operators
site - no booking agents, so you will get real info.

For those of you who have never been to Australia there is a lot of
local info for each dive locality around Oz.

See you all underwater ...

Tim

Tim Hochgrebe
Underwater.com.au
"Dive in, Explore and Save!"

PO Box 1753
Byron Bay NSW 2481

Tel: 02-66809410
Mob: 0403-803083
e-mail:
Old September 20th, 2003, 08:21 PM
Tony Bailey

"Hallvard Tangeraas" wrote in message
I'm not too familiar with those abbreviated names for airports, so I'm
not quite sure what you mean when you say "AKL".

Auckland

--
Tony Bailey
Mercury World Travel

Old September 20th, 2003, 10:54 PM
vicki Steven

in article , Hallvard

wrote on 19/9/03 10:46 AM:

[...]

I really don't know yet which flight-routes are available to me, but
I'll be trying to make a nice setup, then check if it's doable by
contacting my travel agent. I think I'll be taking Singapore airlines
(From Singapore, via Bali).

Yes, I can see that there are vast areas of desert, which of course is
interesting and fascinating to see for me as well, but not days and
weeks of it!
I don't know about Darwin -is it a great place to go to which I
shouldn't miss, or is the price to pay of having to spend lots longer to
travel through desert areas for a long time too high to justify it?

If a flight from Darwin to Alice Springs is prohibitively expensive, a
bus ride will probably be a lot cheaper (though I expect it to cost
quite a bit as well) I could take my international flight to Alice
springs instead (if the plane takes this route) because I really want to
see Ayer's rock.

Then do the beaten tourist route down the coast from Cairns to SYD or MEL
and fly to NZ from there. Air fares between CHC and SYD/MEL are now very
competitive.

I'll have a complete ticket which will include travel to New Zealand, so
that won't matter for me in this case. If I take the route you mention,
(arriving at Alice Springs, taking a flight to Cairns (any idea how much
this flight will cost, in case my own plane ticket won't cover it?),
then travelling by bus all the way down the east coast, and finally
taking a plane to New Zealand from somewhere down the coast -prefferably
Adelaide if possible, so I don't have to go back to Sydney or
Melbourne), will I be missing the outback/desert altogether in
Australia? I'd really like to experience some of it.

Hallvard

Alice Springs and Adelaide are not International airports - that is why I
suggested you complete the northern parts first - ie Darwin to Alice Springs
to Cairns and then travel south down the East coast, flying out of Melbourne
to NZ. If time is short you'll get enough of the desert on the journey from
Alice Springs to Uluru (440 Km each way). Otherwise the 1500 Km trip from
Darwin to Alice could probably be done in 2 days. I flew that leg.

Vicki