Car Hire in Australia: need for SLI?

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old January 4th, 2010, 02:37 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
A Mate[_2_]

Default Car Hire in Australia: need for SLI?

SLI is not required in Australia.

Personal injury insurance (for all except the driver in some states) is
included either in Licence fees or in vehicle registration.

Check on glass coverage, but it is usually included in the vehicle
insurance. Also check the 'excess' (called deductible in the USA) you will
be required to pay if you claim. It can be as much as $500 - but can be
covered by a small daily payment, which gives you a 'No-Excess' coverage.

Be very careful of most small 'single office' care hire places. While most
are ethical a small number of these 'independents' rip extras and penalty
fees off from your signed credit card authorisation without any approval
after you've returned the car.

Stick to a 'major' hirers for certainty.

..
"neverwas" wrote in message
m...
In summary, is it sensible to take out Supplementary Liability
Insurance (SLI) when hiring cars in Victoria, New South Wales, Northern
Territory and Queensland?

I have read past threads about car hire insurance but cannot find a
clear answer. This is partly because I cannot find out
just what is covered by the mandatory insurance.

By way of background:

o we are UK residents
o we shall be hiring cars in Melbourne, Sydney, Ayers Rock and Cairns
o we intend to take out separate insurance against excess, tyres,
windows etc from Questor or the like since the hire companies charges
seem exorbitant (eg AUD33 a day from Thrifty in Ayers Rock).
o the separate insurance providers invariably offer policies with and
without SLI. I know that SLI is highly desirable (in my view essential
unless one is a gambler) in the USA and Canada where there is otherwise
little or no cover for third party liabilities

What I can't find is the position in Australia (in the States/Territories
mentioned above) as regards damage to third parties and third party
property. The hirers sites generally just say that compulsory third
party insurance imposed by the various State and Territory Registration
Authorities is included in the cost (often with a fee shown for it).
But I can't see what it covers and for how much.

Any advice - if only on where to look - would be much appreciated.