florence hotels

Old October 8th, 2003, 03:29 AM
Carole Allen

Default florence hotels

I'll be in Florence for about a week (flexible itinerary..probably
arriving the 8th, not sure exactly how long I'll stay before moving
on)...been checking out budget hotels...stayed at the Casci in 1998;
beds were great, but our bathroom was a flood zone. Shower head and
toilet in same cubicle. Been surfing hotels on the net...want
moderately priced single, but not fleabag (definitely under
$100/night, preferably $75 or less/night)...don't need luxurious,
clean and quiet will do...with or without private bath doesn't
matter...I like close-in... has anyone experience with

Hotel Dali
Hotel Alba
Hotel Europa
Hotel Balcony
Hotel Nizza
Hotel Aldini

Or other suggestions? I've checked venere.com and my LP...looking for
personal feedback.

I'm doing the convent thing in Venice (in Dorsoduro) and have that
booked. Not booking ahead for Florence, just want to have a list of
places for when I arrive.
Old October 8th, 2003, 06:04 AM
N! Xau

"Carole Allen" ha scritto nel messaggio

Shower head and toilet in same cubicle.

yes, it happens in Florence

want
moderately priced single, but not fleabag (definitely under
$100/night, preferably $75 or less/night)

That reduces A LOT your options...

Hotel Alba

This one is the only one of your list that I know, and it's nice.
In high season a single room is 120 $ a night. See
http://www.hotelalbafirenze.it/

But I suggest you to try Atlantic Palace Hotel, very very nice charming
rooms. http://www.atlanticpalace.it/
Last year prices were around 130$ for a double, in May.

have a nice trip!
N! Xau

Old October 8th, 2003, 06:08 AM
Carole Allen

I am assuming Feb is off-season and rates will be lower than high
season rates. On Venere.com the Alba is listed as $60/night in Feb
for a single, double that other times of the year.

I'll check out Atlantic Palace. Thanks

Old October 8th, 2003, 07:34 PM
tile

due to the lack of tourists
hotel prices dropped and are still dropping
pls go to www.octopus.com and try to find there
the prices you need.
also www.expedia.it or www.hotels.com
will give you plenty of special offers.
to give you an example
normally you have to wait hours out of the Uffizi
gallery ( unless you book a ticket in advance for a
fixed time )
in august.. that is peak time for tourists..
the waiting time was no more than 30 minutes.
I also had a double room in rome in a 4 stars hotels for 68 eur
It is unbeliavable..
but also in rome tourists were disappointingly less than usual.
eur/night including breakfast..

Old October 8th, 2003, 07:42 PM
Jenn

In article ,
"tile" wrote:

due to the lack of tourists
hotel prices dropped and are still dropping
pls go to www.octopus.com and try to find there
the prices you need.
also www.expedia.it or www.hotels.com
will give you plenty of special offers.
to give you an example
normally you have to wait hours out of the Uffizi
gallery ( unless you book a ticket in advance for a
fixed time )
in august.. that is peak time for tourists..
the waiting time was no more than 30 minutes.
I also had a double room in rome in a 4 stars hotels for 68 eur
It is unbeliavable..
but also in rome tourists were disappointingly less than usual.
eur/night including breakfast..

my experience has been is that you also get a lower rate if you call the
hotel directly -- than if you book on the internet --

Old October 9th, 2003, 02:33 AM
Carole Allen

On Wed, 08 Oct 2003 13:42:29 -0500, Jenn wrote:

my experience has been is that you also get a lower rate if you call the
hotel directly -- than if you book on the internet --

I'm not booking these in advance...I just want to hit town armed with
a list of ones that meet my needs, then I'll shop around , since I
don't have a schedule beyond Venice

Old October 9th, 2003, 08:19 PM
tile

i think that hotels do not bargain too much here..
they play with WALK IN customers
as they know they are tired walking from hotel to hotel.
it is better to reserve in advance.. and internet rates are normally cheaper
than any rate the hotel reception can give you.
and that is obvious..
"Jenn" ha scritto nel messaggio
In article ,
(Carole Allen) wrote:

On Wed, 08 Oct 2003 13:42:29 -0500, Jenn wrote:

my experience has been is that you also get a lower rate if you call

the
hotel directly -- than if you book on the internet --

I'm not booking these in advance...I just want to hit town armed with
a list of ones that meet my needs, then I'll shop around , since I
don't have a schedule beyond Venice

I hate schlepping around from hotel to hotel -- so even when I am in a
country I will call ahead to the next stop and make reservations -- you
can get good rates without wasting half a day doing it YMMV

Old October 9th, 2003, 08:37 PM
Jenn

In article ,
"tile" wrote:

i think that hotels do not bargain too much here..
they play with WALK IN customers
as they know they are tired walking from hotel to hotel.
it is better to reserve in advance.. and internet rates are normally cheaper
than any rate the hotel reception can give you.
and that is obvious..

I disagree with that -- but definitely agree that walk ins don't get the
best rates --- internet rates almost always involve a rake off for some
intermediary -- I got some very good rates via internet this summer but
then as I checked in could hear the desk offering even lower rates to
people calling in

after that I booked by phone and always did better than internet specials

Old October 9th, 2003, 10:31 PM
Debra Weber Kurt Weber

Hi

Jenn wrote:

-- but definitely agree that walk ins don't get the
best rates --- internet rates almost always involve a rake off for some
intermediary -- I got some very good rates via internet this summer but
then as I checked in could hear the desk offering even lower rates to
people calling in

after that I booked by phone and always did better than internet specials

Thinking along these lines, last October I called a hotel and asked for the
lowest rate that I had seen on the Internet. Much to my surprise, I was told
"That is an Internet rate; our rates our higher. You have to go on the Internet
if you want that rate."

I replied, "But if I go to the Internet, I will get that rate, and you will have
to pay a portion of it to the Internet company that I reserved with. Why not
just give me that rate now, and the hotel will have the entire amount, and not
the amount minus an Internet company commision?"

The clerk was very irate. He balked at my request. I asked the same thing again
and he very grudgingly gave me the lower rate. I was shocked, but then, I often
am.