Paris Apartment Question

Old November 4th, 2003, 02:00 AM
Eric

Default Paris Apartment Question

We are thinking of renting an apartment in Paris for 2 weeks. Seems there
are additional charges (electricity, gas, etc.) that are added on at the end
of the stay. Do these tend to be substantial?

Thanks

Old November 4th, 2003, 07:49 AM
Bernard T. Higonnet

Eric wrote:

We are thinking of renting an apartment in Paris for 2 weeks. Seems there
are additional charges (electricity, gas, etc.) that are added on at the
end
of the stay. Do these tend to be substantial?

Most of the apartments I've seen advertised do not charge separately for gas
& electricity. The most likely charges are telephone (if long-distance
enabled) and cleaning.

Electricity has traditionally been more expensive in France than the US for
example, but unless we're talking about electric (rare) heat how much can a
tourist use? And finally, consumption is presumably read off the meter,
though admittedly, a tourist has better things to do than check the meter
and utility rates...

Bernard Higonnet
Old November 10th, 2003, 12:06 AM
Jenn

In article YKDpb.73912$275.193336@attbi_s53,
"Eric" wrote:

We are thinking of renting an apartment in Paris for 2 weeks. Seems there
are additional charges (electricity, gas, etc.) that are added on at the end
of the stay. Do these tend to be substantial?

Thanks

no they are pretty trivial in our experience
Old November 13th, 2003, 07:53 PM
meurgues

"Bernard T. Higonnet" wrote in message ...
Eric wrote:

We are thinking of renting an apartment in Paris for 2 weeks. Seems there
are additional charges (electricity, gas, etc.) that are added on at the
end
of the stay. Do these tend to be substantial?

Most of the apartments I've seen advertised do not charge separately for gas
& electricity. The most likely charges are telephone (if long-distance
enabled) and cleaning.

Electricity has traditionally been more expensive in France

But it counts among the cheapest in western Europe thanks to nuclear
power (80 % of electricity). France sells thus electricity to quasi
all its neighbours and is probably the largest electricity exporter in
western Europe. I read 4 or 5 years ago in a western european
comparison in a newspaper that it was even the cheapest by KW/h then
(tax around 5%).

didier Meurgues