What to do/see in Chicago?

Old March 9th, 2008, 10:18 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
[email protected]

Default What to do/see in Chicago?

Hi everyone,

I'll be in Chicago next July on a business trip. I'll probably have 3
full days to wander free. My hotel will be close to O'Hare and I will
have a car at my disposal.

I've never been to Chicago before and probably won't go back in a long
time. What can you recommend to do and visit? What are the must see
attractions? What are the best places to eat? How should I group those
places, for convenience?

Thanks. All comments and advice will be appreciated.

Artie
Old March 9th, 2008, 11:52 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
[email protected]

On Mar 9, 5:18 pm, wrote:
Hi everyone,

I'll be in Chicago next July on a business trip. I'll probably have 3
full days to wander free. My hotel will be close to O'Hare and I will
have a car at my disposal.

I've never been to Chicago before and probably won't go back in a long
time. What can you recommend to do and visit? What are the must see
attractions? What are the best places to eat? How should I group those
places, for convenience?

Thanks. All comments and advice will be appreciated.

Artie

walk the waterfront bik trail...navy pier....take in a game at
wrigley....

man I love chicago!!

Old March 10th, 2008, 12:55 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Judy Heuman

I haven't been to Chicago for years, but I remember a MUST SEE is The
Thorne Rooms in the art museum. Also, the science museum is
fascinating.

Judy

Old March 10th, 2008, 01:51 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
PeterL

On Mar 9, 3:18*pm, wrote:
Hi everyone,

I'll be in Chicago next July on a business trip. I'll probably have 3
full days to wander free. My hotel will be close to O'Hare and I will
have a car at my disposal.

I've never been to Chicago before and probably won't go back in a long
time. What can you recommend to do and visit? What are the must see
attractions? What are the best places to eat? How should I group those
places, for convenience?

Thanks. All comments and advice will be appreciated.

Artie

I suggest you take public transport into downtown. Couple of things
I'd suggest is the Art Museum, Science Museum, Golden Mile, Cubs game
if you like baseball. For eating, a Greek restaurant and a steak
restaurant are musts.
Old March 10th, 2008, 03:03 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Ray[_2_]

I've never been to Chicago before and probably won't go back in a long
time. What can you recommend to do and visit? What are the must see
attractions? What are the best places to eat? How should I group those
places, for convenience?

My wife and I did one of the architecture boat tours on the river and we
really enjoyed it.

And if this will be your only visit, I suppose you should also visit the
Sears Tower and the John Hancock Building as well.

As for food, steaks at Gibson's, Greek at Santorini, and visit Portillo's
for all kinds of "street food" like Chicago style hot dogs, roast beef, and
sausage sandwiches.

Old March 11th, 2008, 12:23 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
k[_1_]

"Joe Makowiec" wrote in message
46.128...
On 09 Mar 2008 in rec.travel.usa-canada, wrote:

I'll be in Chicago next July on a business trip. I'll probably have 3
full days to wander free. My hotel will be close to O'Hare and I will
have a car at my disposal.

I've never been to Chicago before and probably won't go back in a long
time. What can you recommend to do and visit? What are the must see
attractions? What are the best places to eat? How should I group those
places, for convenience?

If you're an architecture fan, there's a whole bunch of Frank Lloyd
Wright stuff in Oak Park, including his original studio.

http://www.gowright.org/homestudio/homestudio.html

--
Joe Makowiec
http://makowiec.org/

I'll add to this comment, and say that all the ones above are great,
especially the hot dog recommend. Close your eyes and ask for everything.
Don't order fries unless you're still hungry. Definitely have a steak at
one of the famous steakhouses. You'll pay, but you'll get honest prime
beef, and a serious hunk of it.

Architecture is what Chicago is all about. Don't even think about missing
Millenium Park, which is all-new and all-astounding. There are so many
great structures in the city, both old and modern, that are worth visiting.
I'm sure you can find walking tours on the web, probably even guided ones,
using google.

For visits downtown, leave the car behind. You can take the train straight
to the hub from the airport and back, and get around easily on foot, trains
and buses, just check out the transit system in advance. It's not
difficult.

Back when Richard Daley I was mayor, Chicago was cited as 'the city that
works', and that's still true. I don't live there, but I fall more in love
with the place on every visit.

Keith

Old March 15th, 2008, 03:27 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Lynne Jeffers

Get a real Chicago style hot dog at Fluky's (see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago-style_hot_dog) for a description
of a true Chicago dog.

See a show at Second City (http://www.secondcity.com/).

Check out other local theatre in Chicago:
http://www.theatreinchicago.com/

Go to a Cubs *afternoon* game, if they're in town and you can get
tickets.

Check out the city's festivals. There's always something happening in
downtown Chicago during the summer. First weekend of July is the Taste
of Chicago. Last Saturday in July is Venetian Night. I don't know
what's going on in between.

If you're a foodie, visit the restaurant of one of Chicago's premier
chefs. See
http://www.cityofchicago.org/Tourism...rantGuide.html
for a nice list.

Take one of the boat tours. There are several types of tours - an
architectural tour is the most interesting, but it doesn't go out into
the Lake. Going through the locks between Lake Michigan and the Chicago
River is kinda cool if you haven't done anything like this before.

My $.02. YMMV.

-Lynne

Old March 15th, 2008, 03:53 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
pltrgyst[_2_]

On Fri, 14 Mar 2008 22:27:52 -0500, Lynne Jeffers wrote:

Get a real Chicago style hot dog at Fluky's (see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago-style_hot_dog) for a description
of a true Chicago dog.

Uck. Give me a pair of nude chardogs anytime. 8

-- Larry
Old March 15th, 2008, 09:57 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Dan Leifker

The Museum of Science and Industry gets my vote. You'd probably want to
drive there, although their Web site says you can take public
transportation:

http://www.msichicago.org/visit-the-.../getting-here/

Hmmm, I was poking around this Web site and I'm astonished to see that
they now charge $14 for parking. Well, it's worth it... my warmest
memories of childhood are visiting the Museum, although I hear my
favorite exhibit ("Mathematica") has been replaced by some wretched
computer thing today.

dleifker