St. Thomas

Old January 3rd, 2004, 05:08 PM
Lunyma

Default St. Thomas

We're going to St Maarten, too, so I'll print your post out to put in
the travel docs and passports. We've been to both St Thomas and St
Maarten many times, so a tip on something new and different is always
great. This sounds VERY interesting!

Just a warning... It is NOT an easy to find place. Our taxi driver had to ask
at least 3 people how to get there... When we were done with our meal, Layla
called a taxi to pick us up, but it didn't show. She and her husband (can't
remember his name, but he was the epitomy of French suaveness, and REALLY cute)
kept pouring us free drinks and apologizing. They called the taxi again, and
told us that if it didn't show in 10 minutes, that they themselves would drive
us back to the docks... They were the ultimate hosts, and along with fantastic
food, we will definitely return when we go back to St. Maarten. One thing I
would recommend before going there, though... Use toilet facilities elsewhere,
BEFORE you get there... They have European style toilets, and you have to walk
through somewhat of a jungle to reach them G...
For anyone looking for TRUE, wonderful local food, in a beautiful local
atmosphere, I highly recommend this place...
BTW... This place was recommended to us by another couple that we had met on
Orient Beach, who were staying at a local hotel...

Old January 3rd, 2004, 10:17 PM
Tom & Linda

You might consider going to Pinel Island on Saint Martin. And treat it as a
private island kind of day. There's not much on the island. No roads or
cars. It's very small. Maybe not even electricity, unless they've added it
recently. They have a few small buildings (using that term loosely) where
they sell goodies, some limited food and drinks, etc. Be ready for the
possibility of some of the ladies being topless (it's on the French side).
If you want to go there, take a taxi from the ship to "Cul de Sac". From
there the little boats go across the water to the island. It's rather close
to shore, but very pretty, with a lot of islands off in the distance, kind
of like the BVI and USVI.

FWIW, they say that Sandra Bullock was in those boats when they were filming
Speed II. And on the way there, you will pass Mick Jagger's house up on the
hill (no roads... they choppered everything in to build it), and you will
pass a golf course where there is a house with lots of "Arches"... which was
built by Ray Krock, he of McDonalds fame.

--Tom

"Karen Segboer aka CupCaked" wrote in message

Thanks for the heads-up about the facilities and the taxis. You're
really getting me in the mood for our cruise at the end of this
month! I just realized that we have not been on a Caribbean cruise
since 1999, and that was on the QE2.

I gotta break out of this rut :-)